A Worker's Prayer

Just when you thought I had completely given up on this blogging lark, I come crawling back into the blogsphere... Actually I plan to put up a few posts over the next few days off the back of an event we ran at church this evening for Harvest Sunday, but I thought I would start back with this song by Stuart Townend and my old friends Keith and Kristyn Getty which they wrote a couple of years ago. It is entitled "A Worker's Prayer" and it was sung by Matthew Good at our Harvest Service this morning, just after we had prayed with my son Owain in an act of commissioning for his departure tomorrow on his internship with St. Luke's UMC, Orlando, Florida (it's a tough job but someone's got to do it.) The words were so appropriate for both the harvest context and the commissioning, and it was very well sung, so it was very moving.
But as I prayed over my own son, and subsequently listened to the words of the song, I was struck once more that in an ideal world we should be praying over each young person as they head out from home for the first time, whether they are ostensibly going on "mission" or not... indeed we should be praying over each other every Sunday because we are all on (in the words of the Blues Brothers) a mission from God, whether we are in church-based work, "secular" employment, college, school, retirement or currently unemployed... And as such this is a song/prayer that is appropriate not just for those who are labouring in the "spiritual harvest field" but those on actual earthly farms, on fishing boats and in factories, providing food for us to eat, clothes to wear and other products to purchase. 
May God bless you wherever he has placed you, and others through you as you do your work to his glory.




Shalom

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Woman of no Distinction

An Epistle To Our Elected Leaders

Advent Candle Liturgy 5: Christmas