Skip to main content

Amos Rant

Each Thursday at Holden the Faculty Staff are asked to collaborate to produce a 20 minute piece for Vespers... This week I contributed my Jonah poem which I reposted yesterday, but last week my contribution was to interrupt the musical director as the congregation where about to sing the hymn "Let justice flow" with this re-imagining of Amos 5: 5-24 (ps. the worship here has actually been wonderful... really refreshing...)


Stop!
I can’t stand your singing any more, it makes me sick to my stomach.
That’s what the LORD has to say to you.
Follow me and my way and live God says.
Don’t bother with your religious retreats
Or going to this mega-church or that faith festival,
The latest spiritual fad or fashion
Because they’re here today and gone tomorrow
Without making any real difference to you or to the world.
Follow the way of the Lord that you may live,
Or He will sweep through you like a wildfire through this valley.
Because you’ve turned justice into empty words
And trampled righteousness into the mud.
Who do you think you are fooling?
The Lord who created the cosmos with a word of command,
And who could snuff out the stars with a breath.
God will come down upon the wealthy and powerful
Like a ton of bricks… and that includes you.
For God knows what’s in your bank balance and your heart.
God knows that you talk about love and mercy
But invest in those who devour the vulnerable
And keep the poor in their place, outside the gate.
You don’t like it when someone tells it like it really is
But here it is… no beating around the bush.
The poor are getting poorer and you are part of the problem.
You’re alright, you’ve got a roof over your head and 3 square meals at day.
But someday soon you may find yourself on the streets
Wondering where your next meal is coming from.
Because you don’t deserve what you have
Any more than those who have nothing.
You think you have earned it? Well if I was keeping account
you have also earned punishment for your many sins
Things you’ve done, and haven’t done
That help to oppress the powerless and further impoverish the poor.
You do nothing and say nothing.
You don’t rock the boat, saying “What difference could I make?”
I don’t know why I bother, why I am wasting my breath on you?
Seek good and not evil, then you may live.
Don’t just talk about the Lord God being with you; Act as if he is…
Hate evil, love good, and practice justice in the public square.
Then maybe the Lord God will be gracious to you.
But don’t try to fake me out with false repentance
I won’t be fooled by your weeping and wailing if it isn’t matched by action.
You speak and sing about the Day when the Lord will return.
Well watch out in case it happens, because you may not like it.
It might be like coming face to face with a mountain lion or a bear
Reaching out to switch on the light and getting it bitten by a snake.
The Lord’s coming may mean darkness instead of light,
a big black cloud with no silver lining.
I hate, I despise your religious festivals,
I can’t abide your conferences and conventions.
Don’t bother with you ostentatious offerings and charitable donations
I want nothing to do with them;
Your peace offerings will bring you no peace.
Stop making a racket with your noisy songs;
Your drums, pianos and guitars making my ears hurt.
But what I really want to hear is the sound of justice
Roaring across the land like a tsunami
And righteousness like a river refreshing the nation.
That’s what I want to hear.
Selah

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Woman of no Distinction

Don't often post other people's stuff here... But I found this so powerful that I thought I should. It's a performance poem based on John 4: 4-30, and I have attached the original YouTube video below. A word for women, and men, everywhere... "to be known is to be loved, and to be loved is to be known." I am a woman of no distinction of little importance. I am a women of no reputation save that which is bad. You whisper as I pass by and cast judgmental glances, Though you don’t really take the time to look at me, Or even get to know me. For to be known is to be loved, And to be loved is to be known. Otherwise what’s the point in doing either one of them in the first place? I WANT TO BE KNOWN. I want someone to look at my face And not just see two eyes, a nose, a mouth and two ears; But to see all that I am, and could be all my hopes, loves and fears. But that’s too much to hope for, to wish for, or pray for So I don’t, not anymore. Now I keep to myself And by that

Psalm for Harvest Sunday

A short responsive psalm for us as a call to worship on Harvest Thanksgiving Sunday, and given that it was pouring with rain as I headed into church this morning the first line is an important remembrance that the rain we moan about is an important component of the fruitfulness of the land we live in: You tend the land and water it And the earth produces its abundance. You crown each year with your bounty, and our storehouses overflow with your goodness. The mountain meadows are covered with flocks and the valleys are filled with corn; Your people celebrate your boundless grace They shout for joy and sing. from Psalm 65

Anointed

There has been a lot of chatter on social media among some of my colleagues and others about the liturgical and socio-political niceties of Saturday's coronation and attendant festivities, especially the shielding of the anointing with the pictured spoon - the oldest and perhaps strangest of the coronation artefacts. Personally I thought that was at least an improvement on the cloth of gold canopy used in the previous coronation, but (pointless) debates are raging as to whether this is an ancient practice or was simply introduced in the previous service to shield the Queen from the TV cameras, not for purposes of sacredness, but understandable coyness, if she actually had to bare her breast bone in puritan 1950s Britain. But as any church leader knows, anything performed twice in a church becomes a tradition. All this goes to show that I did actually watch it, while doing other things - the whole shooting match from the pre-service concert with yer wumman in that lemon-