Skip to main content

4 Women, Looking Backwards


Yesterday, Friday the 13th, was a day of mixed fortunes. I got a lot done, but my computer has once again started playing up denying me access to some important pieces of work that are needed urgently... But just before that happened, in the afternoon I took a walk after a late lunch when I had been reading Robert Graves' treatment of Orpheus and Eurydice. Then, as I usually do when walking, I was listening to a couple of short podcasts, including one of  Pádraig Ó Tuama's superb "Poetry Unbound" podcasts where he was unpacking Natalie Diaz's poem "Of Course She Looked Back" about Lot's wife. But on "my loop", which took me down by the Lagan, I also caught sight of a woman rowing and had a fleeting encounter with another woman who had just had a prang on the Malone Road. In the hours that followed, as I became hypnotised by the rotating blue circle of doom on my computer, and then this morning, waking early aware of all that I still needed to get done because of the computer glitch, but frustrated by the technological gremlins, these stories got mixed up in my head... and this long rambling piece is the result... It requires a lot more work... but I'll come back to it again...

 An unknown woman on the water, 
Strong long back and legs 
Folding and unfolding 
Like bellows, breathing 
The thick autumn air; 
Facing backwards 
but forging her way forwards 
Against the river’s flow. 
Is she solo because she wants it so 
Or because it is decreed that 
She must be separated 
And so cannot share a boat 
With her sisters; 
Her unseen destination.
In her oar-wielding hands alone?

Lot’s unnamed wife on the road 
Perhaps bearing her belongings 
On her own strong back, 
Nostrils and lungs filled 
With Sodom’s sulphurous smoke. 
It was decreed that the city be destroyed 
And that they should not look back 
But she does look backwards to the dying city 
With the Dead Sea beyond; 
To a place of brutal men, 
A place unwelcoming to strangers, 
Unreceptive to uncomfortable messages, 
And the messengers who bring them,
A place of proverbial evil,
But a place that was her home. 
So was her proverbial petrification 
A punishment from a present tense God 
For dwelling, not in a sinful city 
But in the past, 
Or because of a surfeit of salt tears 
Shed for other unnamed wives 
And daughters and mothers 
Their destinies taken out of their hands.

Eurydice, named wife of Orpheus 
but no longer so well known 
Her name sitting awkwardly 
On modern tongue. 
Another victim of a backward glance 
A double victim of male decisions; 
Of the lust of one 
And the impatience of another. 
Yet much though she may have loved 
The latter and he she, 
Did she really want to leave 
Her place in the shadows? 
Or was she simply subject 
To her husband’s hopes 
And the decrees of Dis? 
Was the singer’s premature peek 
A source of sorrow or relief? 
Yet even after her second demise, 
And descent to the depths,
Like many others in death, 
Her life is not her own 
But sung of by her husband 
And told of by poets and playwrights 
Who never knew her 
Except in their imaginations.

One final, other, unknown woman 
Standing on a street corner, 
Not in any seductive way, 
Because such things do not happen 
In this part of this city, 
But awaiting assistance 
Following an accident. 
If only the other driver 
Had looked backwards, 
Not just in their mirror 
Like the mythic hero slaying
Yet another accursed woman,
But over their shoulder 
They would not have collided 
Before driving on 
Oblivious, or evading responsibility. 
An offer of help is refused, 
With a smile, so perhaps 
It was not because 
I am an unknown man 
In the gathering gloom 
Of an inauspicious afternoon.

One day, four women 
Interwoven in my mind 
Their stories, read, listened to 
Imagined, intersected with 
If only briefly, tangentially 
Their names, save one, unknown 
All, far too quickly, reduced 
To myth, to metaphor. 
Selah













Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Woman of no Distinction

Don't often post other people's stuff here... But I found this so powerful that I thought I should. It's a performance poem based on John 4: 4-30, and I have attached the original YouTube video below. A word for women, and men, everywhere... "to be known is to be loved, and to be loved is to be known." I am a woman of no distinction of little importance. I am a women of no reputation save that which is bad. You whisper as I pass by and cast judgmental glances, Though you don’t really take the time to look at me, Or even get to know me. For to be known is to be loved, And to be loved is to be known. Otherwise what’s the point in doing either one of them in the first place? I WANT TO BE KNOWN. I want someone to look at my face And not just see two eyes, a nose, a mouth and two ears; But to see all that I am, and could be all my hopes, loves and fears. But that’s too much to hope for, to wish for, or pray for So I don’t, not anymore. Now I keep to myself And by that

Psalm for Harvest Sunday

A short responsive psalm for us as a call to worship on Harvest Thanksgiving Sunday, and given that it was pouring with rain as I headed into church this morning the first line is an important remembrance that the rain we moan about is an important component of the fruitfulness of the land we live in: You tend the land and water it And the earth produces its abundance. You crown each year with your bounty, and our storehouses overflow with your goodness. The mountain meadows are covered with flocks and the valleys are filled with corn; Your people celebrate your boundless grace They shout for joy and sing. from Psalm 65

Anointed

There has been a lot of chatter on social media among some of my colleagues and others about the liturgical and socio-political niceties of Saturday's coronation and attendant festivities, especially the shielding of the anointing with the pictured spoon - the oldest and perhaps strangest of the coronation artefacts. Personally I thought that was at least an improvement on the cloth of gold canopy used in the previous coronation, but (pointless) debates are raging as to whether this is an ancient practice or was simply introduced in the previous service to shield the Queen from the TV cameras, not for purposes of sacredness, but understandable coyness, if she actually had to bare her breast bone in puritan 1950s Britain. But as any church leader knows, anything performed twice in a church becomes a tradition. All this goes to show that I did actually watch it, while doing other things - the whole shooting match from the pre-service concert with yer wumman in that lemon-