Skip to main content

Living under the Empire... (2) Where is Babylon?

We were driving back from school last week, talking about books that we had been reading and my younger son, Ciaran, asked me "Where is Babylon?" I have to confess that my history is better than my geography, and I said that it no longer exists as an inhabited city, but its ruins were to the north west of the current capital of Iraq, Baghdad. When I checked however, I discovered that it is actually about 50 miles south of Baghdad and the modern town is the administrative centre of the province of Babil...
But just as the modern city is but a shadow of the historic capital of 2 ancient empires, first under Hammurabi in the 18th century BCE and then the "Neo-Babylonian" empire (under Nebuchadnezzar etc) in the 6th century BCE, so the earthly Babylonian empire/s was/were fleeting in comparison to the enduring metaphorical idea of Babylon.
The original Empire under Hammurabi was probably the ultimate origin of some of the early Biblical stories, including the "Tower of Babel," but the experience of the Jews at the hands of Nebuchadnezzar shaped the subsequent thinking/worship  of the entire Jewish nation whilst the metaphor was subsequently adopted by the early church as a cover for criticism of the Roman Empire.
Because of the identification of Babylon with Rome, particularly in the book of Revelation, some of the earlier reformers subsequently identified Babylon with the Roman church, and some within the more fundamentalist wing continue to do so... Though others point to the treaty of Rome as the foundation document of the European Union, and so identify the EU as the evil empire. Others have pointed to the United Nations, or (for example the Rastafarians), the British Empire (which by extension makes Queen Elizabeth II Revelation's Whore of Babylon), or the USA.Historically black pentecostal traditions tended to do this, being descended from slaves who could see a direct equivalence between the Jew's Babylonian captivity and their own. In more recent years there have been others who have compared contemporary USA to Babylon from both conservative perspectives (criticising modern America for its moral laxity and pagan pantheism) and more liberal ones, pointing to America's misuse of its economic and military hegemony.
My own feeling is that Babylon can be different things at different times. For me it is the prevailing socio-economic system we find ourselves living in at present... an aggressively capitalist/consumerist culture that perhaps emanates from modern America, but should not be uniquely identified with the USA. This culture pervades the whole of life and demands loyalty of all within its sway.
But just as the Jews of Babylon and the Christians in the early Roman empire refused to live entirely according to the culture they found themselves under, we too need to reflect on how far we kow-tow to wider society, whether that be the wider socio-economic culture, or more local powers and principalities, whose territories may be marked by flags and painted kerbstones (as in certain areas of this city) or by much more subtle signs...
The Kngdom of God cannot be marked out on a physical map, and neither can contemporary Babylon... Both battle over the territory of the human heart and mind.

Selah

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Woman of no Distinction

Don't often post other people's stuff here... But I found this so powerful that I thought I should. It's a performance poem based on John 4: 4-30, and I have attached the original YouTube video below. A word for women, and men, everywhere... "to be known is to be loved, and to be loved is to be known." I am a woman of no distinction of little importance. I am a women of no reputation save that which is bad. You whisper as I pass by and cast judgmental glances, Though you don’t really take the time to look at me, Or even get to know me. For to be known is to be loved, And to be loved is to be known. Otherwise what’s the point in doing either one of them in the first place? I WANT TO BE KNOWN. I want someone to look at my face And not just see two eyes, a nose, a mouth and two ears; But to see all that I am, and could be all my hopes, loves and fears. But that’s too much to hope for, to wish for, or pray for So I don’t, not anymore. Now I keep to myself And by that

Psalm for Harvest Sunday

A short responsive psalm for us as a call to worship on Harvest Thanksgiving Sunday, and given that it was pouring with rain as I headed into church this morning the first line is an important remembrance that the rain we moan about is an important component of the fruitfulness of the land we live in: You tend the land and water it And the earth produces its abundance. You crown each year with your bounty, and our storehouses overflow with your goodness. The mountain meadows are covered with flocks and the valleys are filled with corn; Your people celebrate your boundless grace They shout for joy and sing. from Psalm 65

Anointed

There has been a lot of chatter on social media among some of my colleagues and others about the liturgical and socio-political niceties of Saturday's coronation and attendant festivities, especially the shielding of the anointing with the pictured spoon - the oldest and perhaps strangest of the coronation artefacts. Personally I thought that was at least an improvement on the cloth of gold canopy used in the previous coronation, but (pointless) debates are raging as to whether this is an ancient practice or was simply introduced in the previous service to shield the Queen from the TV cameras, not for purposes of sacredness, but understandable coyness, if she actually had to bare her breast bone in puritan 1950s Britain. But as any church leader knows, anything performed twice in a church becomes a tradition. All this goes to show that I did actually watch it, while doing other things - the whole shooting match from the pre-service concert with yer wumman in that lemon-