Skip to main content

By any Other Name?

The second part of a short series telling the story of my Dad, or at least part of it... The somewhat sun damaged photo here is the only one I have of my grandfather Samuel Robert Campton, his wife Edith (nee Crooks) and my dad's eldest sister Louise in America.

One of the things that stood out in both of the Thanksgiving Services on Tuesday that prompted this series of blogs about my dad, were the two poignant and amusing tributes delivered by members of their family. None of our family felt able to offer a personal tribute at either my Mum's or Dad’s funerals.

I have said time and again to families for whom I have conducted funerals (and there have been many... too many), that whilst it is lovely to have family participation, and especially a family tribute or eulogy, I do not underestimate how difficult it can be, because despite my skills and profession I wasn’t able to do it for my own parents. I have conducted a few other family funerals and that was hard enough, but I, and my 3 brothers, were glad to entrust both services to ministers who knew my parents well, and who listened well to us telling stories of them both beforehand, so that they were able to weave more personal anecdotes into their funeral addresses. The minister who conducted my mother’s funeral, the Rev. Dr. Brian Fletcher, who was the minister of the church that my mother took me to for most of my childhood, Sydenham Methodist, is probably the minister who shaped my approach to pastoral care and especially the conduct of funerals more than any other, though I am a pale imitation. He however, only conducted the service in the funeral home. It was my father’s then minister who conducted her cremation. My father attended a different church from my mother, myself and my younger brother for much of my childhood and youth, but more of that anon. It was from this minister that I learned the most important lesson in conducting funerals. GET THE BEREAVED’S NAME RIGHT! All through the (blessedly brief) cremation, he referred to my mother as Kathleen, my mother’s middle name, which NO-ONE, ever called her by... I was fit to be tied by the end of the service and was ready to eat the said gentleman alive, but thankfully my wife and my frequently equally headstrong brothers talked me out of having that conversation. But from that day to this I have always checked and double checked the names of the bereaved and their families, not just their given names, but those they are known by in and out of the family (and it is amazing how many times people operate under different names in different surroundings, like people with assumed secret identities), making sure that they are written down in a script that is equally written in full. And because of that, to my knowledge, (although there could be a family out there still seething at my mishandling of their grief), I have only once gotten the bereaved person’s name wrong, but it was in a week of multiple funerals when, it turned out, I was developing viral meningitis – and the family laughed openly at my obvious mistake which I quickly corrected.

There was no such mistake at my father’s funeral, which was, as I said, sensitively conducted by the new minister at his church, a near contemporary of mine when we Methodists used to study with the Presbyterians at Union College. There may have been plenty of scope for such a mistake however, because whilst my father’s name was officially Thomas James Campton (and seems to have been recorded as such on all official documents) he was variously known at work and elsewhere as Tommy, or occasionally TJ, but at home as Jimmy, unless my mother was annoyed when he (and any of the rest of us) got his name in full. I make a point of saying that all official documentation seems to be in the same name, because that is almost unique among my father’s family. He was the only boy in a family of 7 born to Samuel Robert and Edith Campton, but the girls were registered at birth under a range of names including Kempton and Compton. I only discovered the second of those yesterday when I started digging again into a few of the bits and pieces of family history I have accumulated over the years... discovering that one of my Dad’s older sisters and her parents were registered in New Jersey, USA at one point under that name, although I have been bedevilled with people calling me Compton for most of my life. I have also had Crompton, Trumpton, Captain and most unfortunately, Crapton, but not, to my memory, Kempton, which ironically is likely to be the original spelling of the name, with our variation being a product of the local dialect in the area where my Dad was born near Cookstown in County Tyrone. In that area there is little audible difference between the word for cows in a field (cattle) and an implement for boiling water (kettle), and the wider family in that area is split between those who spell the name with a Ke and a Ca...

There is a family legend that my grandfather was illiterate, and when it came to claiming welfare support in the hungry 30s he asked which spelling of his name got him higher up the list... Hence the CAampton... He certainly seems to have been illiterate as his name was marked with an X on the Ulster Covenant in 1912... Although there even questions about that, because I learned recently that he went to the USA in 1907 (under the name Campton), although family legends claim he went out immediately after the Great War. Did he return to Ireland after that first visit in time to sign the covenant, going back to the US later, or did someone forge his "signature"? However, and whenever he went to America, he eventually ended up in Pittsburgh, where he met a woman called Edith Crooks, who was actually a cousin, not unusual back then. They married and had 3 daughters, Louise, Annie and Sylvia, all registered in America, as either Campton or Compton.

I’m told that Edith would happily have remained in the US but they were summoned back to Ireland, or rather Northern Ireland as it had become in their absence, to manage the small family tenant farm on the death of Samuel’s father. Again family legend tells that Thomas James Campton was conceived in America but born on 14th May 1924 at Dunmore, in the townland of Lissan, outside Cookstown, Co. Tyrone. His birth was followed by that of 3 younger sisters Winfred, Lucy and Mildred, variously registered at birth and baptism as Campton or Kempton, with only Mildred still alive in Melbourne, Australia, where she went to live with her husband Sammy Kell.

So not only could my father, have had a different surname he could have had a different nationality if he had been born slightly sooner. How different would his life have been? That is one of the great imponderables? Does our name or our environment shape us more than our genetic make-up? Could Thomas James Campton, Compton or Kempton have risen to the dizzy heights of President like the current inhabitant of the White House who was also the son of an immigrant? Or is it all planned out for us in advance? After all, unlike myself, my Dad was a Calvinist... But more of that anon...

Shalom

Comments

Unknown said…
I’ve found your blog really fascinating! Your Aunt Sylvia was my Great Nanny. To hear some of the stories of the family back in the USA and the crazy life they led back in the day has really given me a sense of perspective. Thank you! Ashleigh
Thanks Ashleigh... I only just picked up your comment on the blog... clearly not being attentive... Hope you are well...

Popular posts from this blog

A Woman of no Distinction

Don't often post other people's stuff here... But I found this so powerful that I thought I should. It's a performance poem based on John 4: 4-30, and I have attached the original YouTube video below. A word for women, and men, everywhere... "to be known is to be loved, and to be loved is to be known." I am a woman of no distinction of little importance. I am a women of no reputation save that which is bad. You whisper as I pass by and cast judgmental glances, Though you don’t really take the time to look at me, Or even get to know me. For to be known is to be loved, And to be loved is to be known. Otherwise what’s the point in doing either one of them in the first place? I WANT TO BE KNOWN. I want someone to look at my face And not just see two eyes, a nose, a mouth and two ears; But to see all that I am, and could be all my hopes, loves and fears. But that’s too much to hope for, to wish for, or pray for So I don’t, not anymore. Now I keep to myself And by that

Psalm for Harvest Sunday

A short responsive psalm for us as a call to worship on Harvest Thanksgiving Sunday, and given that it was pouring with rain as I headed into church this morning the first line is an important remembrance that the rain we moan about is an important component of the fruitfulness of the land we live in: You tend the land and water it And the earth produces its abundance. You crown each year with your bounty, and our storehouses overflow with your goodness. The mountain meadows are covered with flocks and the valleys are filled with corn; Your people celebrate your boundless grace They shout for joy and sing. from Psalm 65

Anointed

There has been a lot of chatter on social media among some of my colleagues and others about the liturgical and socio-political niceties of Saturday's coronation and attendant festivities, especially the shielding of the anointing with the pictured spoon - the oldest and perhaps strangest of the coronation artefacts. Personally I thought that was at least an improvement on the cloth of gold canopy used in the previous coronation, but (pointless) debates are raging as to whether this is an ancient practice or was simply introduced in the previous service to shield the Queen from the TV cameras, not for purposes of sacredness, but understandable coyness, if she actually had to bare her breast bone in puritan 1950s Britain. But as any church leader knows, anything performed twice in a church becomes a tradition. All this goes to show that I did actually watch it, while doing other things - the whole shooting match from the pre-service concert with yer wumman in that lemon-