Skip to main content

What is a smile worth?


Just back at work one week and I am already checking my diary for when I can next carve out a few days off. I suppose because I was away for so long I was so self-consious about being percieved to be having a 7 week "holiday" that in actual fact I only really took 10 days actual holiday. But also the time since my return has been a fairly hectic whirl with some difficult situations pastorally and administratively arising. Indeed I joked with one group of corresdondents that I was seriously thinking of applying for the up-coming vacancy in Faith UMC, Grand Rapids. But I am only joking... Honest!

Last night I was involved in a particularly painful meeting, with a lot of deep hurt being expressed, and I, in this case, was the representative of the institution which was percieved to have contibuted greatly to this hurt. I tried to address some of the issues that stand in the way of healing, but I probably also opened up other wounds... old ones and perhaps new ones... I also tried to express my sense that others, who were coming at the issue in hand from a polar opposite perspective, were also hurting deeply, which some were perhaps not ready to hear. So when the meeting was over, and people were leaving I extended my hand to each of them in turn at the door to say goodnight... Some took it... Some didn't... With some of the latter I have no doubt that it is because, for one reason or another, they didn't actually see it... For the others... well, I'm truly sorry they are hurting so much that even a handshake with myself would be too painful. And I really mean that.
This morning then, I was not feeling full of the joys of spring myself, both because of last night's meeting, and other difficult situations. Despite that I dragged myself around the hospital for my chaplaincy round, stirring myself to be as cheery and upbeat as possible, and as appropriate, for each of the patients, and as ever, most of them seemed genuinely grateful for the short time we were able to spend together. And as I was walking around the corridors, I chatted and joked with staff, of all types, were there was an opportunity... Or if not, I simply gave them a smile... There are times when I'm so self-absorbed that I don't do this (and if I have ever passed you without a smile, please forgive me), but it was always taught to me that a smile costs nothing, but is worth a lot to those who recieve it... And generally people will respond in kind.
However, that certainly wasn't the case with one member of staff (a consultant it must be said). He clearly saw me smiling at him but his response to my smile was certainly not "in kind..." He jerked his head away from me so quickly as he walked past he's probably suffering from whiplash now!

Initially, as with the refused handshakes last night, I was indignant... But, as with them, I wondered what this man saw in me with my collar on, smiling (or perhaps percieving it as a sneer, as someone did at one point last night)? How often we don't realise that people are responding not simply to us as individuals, or to a simple smile or offered hand... But to a whole panoply of people and organisations that we represent to them... We can be for others the very human incarnation of their hurt... Even though we don't realise it.

But the key thing is that we cannot take these slights and hurts (real or imagined) on ourselves. Christ, the Suffering Servant has already taken them on himself (Isaiah 53), together with the hurts of all those we encounter, and through his sacrifice and his Spirit at work in and through us, we can be, not only the incarnation of their hurt... but perhaps our simple smiles and offered hands might be the beginning of healing for them...

Comments

Anonymous said…
Speaking only for myself, you'd be welcome to come and succeed Pastor Hayes (of course, no-one could replace him).

I am reminded through today's blog, that people's reactions often have nothing to do with me and my actions, but rather the goings on in their head/hearts/lives, though it's often difficult to recognize that in the moment. But on reflection makes it easier to forgive and move on.
Anonymous said…
(: Smile coming your way. :)
Days can be long and draining. But we draw our strength from the knowledge that we are not alone. God is always with us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That should make you smile.

Pastor Position Opening at Faith UMC USA July 1 2009. Applications being accepted with a smile :)
Thanks... For the encouragement...
At the moment I think I am staying put in DMC tho... Unless Stationing (under God's guidance of course) decides to move me...
Anonymous said…
Your messsage touched my heart. I know as a previous pastors wife the feelings and hurtful situations you go through carrying out God's work. I can only say you were loved here, and it would be a true blessing to have you here at Faith UMC permanently. I know that isn't possible, just know it would be an honor to have you. God bless!

Popular posts from this blog

A Woman of no Distinction

Don't often post other people's stuff here... But I found this so powerful that I thought I should. It's a performance poem based on John 4: 4-30, and I have attached the original YouTube video below. A word for women, and men, everywhere... "to be known is to be loved, and to be loved is to be known." I am a woman of no distinction of little importance. I am a women of no reputation save that which is bad. You whisper as I pass by and cast judgmental glances, Though you don’t really take the time to look at me, Or even get to know me. For to be known is to be loved, And to be loved is to be known. Otherwise what’s the point in doing either one of them in the first place? I WANT TO BE KNOWN. I want someone to look at my face And not just see two eyes, a nose, a mouth and two ears; But to see all that I am, and could be all my hopes, loves and fears. But that’s too much to hope for, to wish for, or pray for So I don’t, not anymore. Now I keep to myself And by that

Psalm for Harvest Sunday

A short responsive psalm for us as a call to worship on Harvest Thanksgiving Sunday, and given that it was pouring with rain as I headed into church this morning the first line is an important remembrance that the rain we moan about is an important component of the fruitfulness of the land we live in: You tend the land and water it And the earth produces its abundance. You crown each year with your bounty, and our storehouses overflow with your goodness. The mountain meadows are covered with flocks and the valleys are filled with corn; Your people celebrate your boundless grace They shout for joy and sing. from Psalm 65

Anointed

There has been a lot of chatter on social media among some of my colleagues and others about the liturgical and socio-political niceties of Saturday's coronation and attendant festivities, especially the shielding of the anointing with the pictured spoon - the oldest and perhaps strangest of the coronation artefacts. Personally I thought that was at least an improvement on the cloth of gold canopy used in the previous coronation, but (pointless) debates are raging as to whether this is an ancient practice or was simply introduced in the previous service to shield the Queen from the TV cameras, not for purposes of sacredness, but understandable coyness, if she actually had to bare her breast bone in puritan 1950s Britain. But as any church leader knows, anything performed twice in a church becomes a tradition. All this goes to show that I did actually watch it, while doing other things - the whole shooting match from the pre-service concert with yer wumman in that lemon-