Just came in from my weekly (or at least as close to that as I can possibly manage) visit to the local pub quiz with some friends, to find another blog on my feed refering to an article in the Perth Press and Journal. It tells of a Church of Scotland minister who has convinced Inveralmond Brewery to produce a special ale to commemorate the decision of his church, St. Matthew's in Perth to hold a carol service in a local pub. I suppose it is going back to the monastic origins of much of the brewing in North Western Europe, a tradition carried on in the breweries of Belgium, but I'm not to sure that it will catch on here in Northern Ireland! And despite the fact that a certain Methodist Minister appreciates real ale, I particularly don't think it will be Irish Methodism which enters into the first similar agreement with a local brewing company.
Today's #LentArt post is "The washing of the disciples' feet" by Ghislaine Howard, another piece from the wonderful Methodist Modern Art Collection. It has clearly struck a chord with a number of people, and I am delighted that tonight's guest blog is by my friend and fellow 4 Corners Director, Father Martin Magill, who, he will be embarrassed to have me say, is for me the epitome of a servant leader. Indeed it was interesting to have a friend and artist respond to my earlier post saying that this time last year she remembers having her feet washed by Martin... How much has changed in a year: This painting (completed in 2004) was inspired by these words from the gospel of John in today's lectionary: Jesus knew that the Father had delivered all things into His hands, and that He had come from God and was returning to God. So He got up from the supper, laid aside His outer garments, and wrapped a towel around His waist. After that, He poured water ...
Comments