Skip to main content

Changes...



Things are definitely changing. Certainly in East Belfast. The writing has literally been on the walls for years... The fabled gables of East Belfast have been changing… Instead of pictures of King Billy you have more recent "heroes": C.S. Lewis, George Best and David Ervine... And where victory is celebrated it is of Norn Irn beating England at football rather than King Billy beating his father in law at the Boyne (although the artists in question still have difficulties with faces.)
Then this week I went out for lunch with a colleague, to a pub which was, until recently a paramilitary drinking den. It has now, however, gone up-market and you are more likely to meet a Church of Ireland Bishop, (as we did) than a UDA brigadier, unless of course the Bishop is meeting a brigadier, which is not inconceivable these days.
But anyway the bill came to £16.90, and my colleague quipped that he would remember that easily enough, but the waitress looked at him with total incomprehension.
''You know - King Billy - the Twelfth - Remember 1690 - the Battle of the Boyne...'' we said... But no, nothing....
''Sorry,'' she said ''History wasn't my best subject at school.''
If she had worked in that pub before the rehab and hadn't known about 1690, her education would have been short and brutal.
Then the next evening I attended my son's primary school Christmas Concert, and in the middle of it a girl did an Irish dance. Given that this school is a state (ie predominantly Protestant) school right in the heart of 'Protestant east Belfast' (although in the middle class part of it) such a celtic cultural intrusion would never have happened even ten years ago.
Now there are those who will see all of these changes in a negative light... bishops and Methodist ministers going into pubs... young people not knowing the history of this place... and a dilution of Ulster Scots culture by post-Riverdance Paddy-Wackery... But I see it as a sign of the gradual normalisation of this very peculiar province, and my wee corner or it in particular.

There are certain aspects of our culture here that I hope don't get lost in the homogenised soup of secular society. For example, I do think we should remember 1690... and all those other dates that have peppered our collective memory... but we should learn the real history that lies behind them... not the gable-end history that we have traditionally viewed through the distorting spectacles of sectarianism.
I also pray that we don't lose that broad understanding and acceptance of Christianity that we, almost uniquely in North-Western Europe, enjoy. The church no longer lies at the heart of society, and that is not necessarily a bad thing as it may allow us to speak more objectively and prophetically into the centres of power in the civic space, but we do still get listened to and we need to treasure that privilege.


It was also wonderful that my son's Primary School Christmas Concert was unashamedly about Christmas... not Winterval or whatever other crackpot pc term has been adopted. There were plenty of references to Santa and reindeers and all that nonsense, but the whole thing was pervaded by a real understanding of the core story of the incarnation (if not its full implications... although it was a primary school event!)


But one thing in it that had changed very much for the better...


No "Away in a manger!!!"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Woman of no Distinction

Don't often post other people's stuff here... But I found this so powerful that I thought I should. It's a performance poem based on John 4: 4-30, and I have attached the original YouTube video below. A word for women, and men, everywhere... "to be known is to be loved, and to be loved is to be known." I am a woman of no distinction of little importance. I am a women of no reputation save that which is bad. You whisper as I pass by and cast judgmental glances, Though you don’t really take the time to look at me, Or even get to know me. For to be known is to be loved, And to be loved is to be known. Otherwise what’s the point in doing either one of them in the first place? I WANT TO BE KNOWN. I want someone to look at my face And not just see two eyes, a nose, a mouth and two ears; But to see all that I am, and could be all my hopes, loves and fears. But that’s too much to hope for, to wish for, or pray for So I don’t, not anymore. Now I keep to myself And by that

Psalm for Harvest Sunday

A short responsive psalm for us as a call to worship on Harvest Thanksgiving Sunday, and given that it was pouring with rain as I headed into church this morning the first line is an important remembrance that the rain we moan about is an important component of the fruitfulness of the land we live in: You tend the land and water it And the earth produces its abundance. You crown each year with your bounty, and our storehouses overflow with your goodness. The mountain meadows are covered with flocks and the valleys are filled with corn; Your people celebrate your boundless grace They shout for joy and sing. from Psalm 65

Anointed

There has been a lot of chatter on social media among some of my colleagues and others about the liturgical and socio-political niceties of Saturday's coronation and attendant festivities, especially the shielding of the anointing with the pictured spoon - the oldest and perhaps strangest of the coronation artefacts. Personally I thought that was at least an improvement on the cloth of gold canopy used in the previous coronation, but (pointless) debates are raging as to whether this is an ancient practice or was simply introduced in the previous service to shield the Queen from the TV cameras, not for purposes of sacredness, but understandable coyness, if she actually had to bare her breast bone in puritan 1950s Britain. But as any church leader knows, anything performed twice in a church becomes a tradition. All this goes to show that I did actually watch it, while doing other things - the whole shooting match from the pre-service concert with yer wumman in that lemon-