Skip to main content

Top 50 Carols


And, now, as a counterbalance to my previous curmudgeonly post on carols, here's a list of the top 50 carols, as chosen by a panel of 51 eminent choir masters, as published in BBC Music Magazine (published by Timesonline for those like me who were too mean to buy the magazine...)


Its a fairly "highbrow" list, with a preponderance of Latin titles, and a sprinkling of other foreign offerings, but it certainly broadens things from the perennial list sung year in year out in most churches at this time of year. When was the last time your congregation sang "Jauchzet Frohlocket"?

"Once in Royal David's City" is in there... but I suspect that is because of many choirmasters have been caught up in the dewy eyed begining of the King's 9 Lessons and Carols with a single chorister starting the whole thing off with this hoary old favourite. No places for "While Shepherds watched", "The Holy and the Ivy" or "Christmas is a time to throw up..." sorry "...love". But why, o why, o why, did "Away in a manger" creep in at number fifty?

Comments

ScatterCode said…
I can just about live with 'Away In A Manger' as long as it's at something like a Sunday School carol service, and it's only once a year.

But where is 'While Shepherds Watched'? And 'O Holy Night'?

What the heck is 'Jesus Christ the Apple Tree'? (Actually, I'm off to YouTube to find out...)

Would've had 'Angels From The Realms of Glory' a bit higher up (although isn't it one of those ones with loads of verses?), and also 'Joy To The World'.

Can't stand 'In The Bleak Midwinter', and I don't think I knew 'In Dulce Jubilo' was a hymn (I thought it was just a tune).
"Angels from the realms of glory," like "While Shepherds" is more an endurance test than a carol... I too would have "Joy to the World" higher... But I'm with them on "In the bleak midwinter" although I prefer the full choral setting rather than the pared down version that we use in church...

Popular posts from this blog

LentArt: Washing the Disciples' Feet

Today's #LentArt post is "The washing of the disciples' feet" by Ghislaine Howard, another piece from the wonderful Methodist Modern Art Collection. It has clearly struck a chord with a number of people, and I am delighted that tonight's guest blog is by my friend and fellow 4 Corners Director, Father Martin Magill, who, he will be embarrassed to have me say, is for me the epitome of a servant leader. Indeed it was interesting to have a friend and artist respond to my earlier post saying that this time last year she remembers having her feet washed by Martin... How much has changed in a year: This painting (completed in 2004) was inspired by these words from the gospel of John in today's lectionary:  Jesus knew that the Father had delivered all things into His hands, and that He had come from God and was returning to God. So He got up from the supper, laid aside His outer garments, and wrapped a towel around His waist. After that, He poured water ...

Living under the Empire... (2) Where is Babylon?

We were driving back from school last week, talking about books that we had been reading and my younger son, Ciaran, asked me "Where is Babylon?" I have to confess that my history is better than my geography, and I said that it no longer exists as an inhabited city, but its ruins were to the north west of the current capital of Iraq, Baghdad. When I checked however, I discovered that it is actually about 50 miles south of Baghdad and the modern town is the administrative centre of the province of Babil... But just as the modern city is but a shadow of the historic capital of 2 ancient empires, first under Hammurabi in the 18th century BCE and then the "Neo-Babylonian" empire (under Nebuchadnezzar etc) in the 6th century BCE, so the earthly Babylonian empire/s was/were fleeting in comparison to the enduring metaphorical idea of Babylon. The original Empire under Hammurabi was probably the ultimate origin of some of the early Biblical stories, including the ...

A Woman of no Distinction

Don't often post other people's stuff here... But I found this so powerful that I thought I should. It's a performance poem based on John 4: 4-30, and I have attached the original YouTube video below. A word for women, and men, everywhere... "to be known is to be loved, and to be loved is to be known." I am a woman of no distinction of little importance. I am a women of no reputation save that which is bad. You whisper as I pass by and cast judgmental glances, Though you don’t really take the time to look at me, Or even get to know me. For to be known is to be loved, And to be loved is to be known. Otherwise what’s the point in doing either one of them in the first place? I WANT TO BE KNOWN. I want someone to look at my face And not just see two eyes, a nose, a mouth and two ears; But to see all that I am, and could be all my hopes, loves and fears. But that’s too much to hope for, to wish for, or pray for So I don’t, not anymore. Now I keep to myself And by that ...