Skip to main content

Waiting, Remembering, Preparing and READINESS



The fourth of this year's Advent Liturgy in Dundonald Methodist.
Voice 1: This is the fourth Sunday of Advent.
Voice 2: We're glad that Christmas is almost here.
Voice 1: But the first candle reminds us to wait.
[THE FIRST CANDLE IS LIT]
Voice 2:
The second candle reminds us of the promises of God.
[THE SECOND CANDLE IS LIT]
Voice 1:
And the third candle encourages us to prepare ourselves.
[THE THIRD CANDLE IS LIT]
Voice 2:
To prepare ourselves and others
Voice 1: To get everything ready.
Voice 2: Ready for the big day
Voice 1: for Christmas
Voice 2: For the baby
Voice 1: For the King.
Voice 2: So the fourth candle reminds us to get ready.
[THE FOURTH CANDLE IS LIT]
Voice 1:
An angel of the Lord appeared to Zechariah and said:
Voice 2: "Do not be afraid, Zechariah; your prayer has been heard. Your wife Elizabeth will bear you a son, and you are to give him the name John.
Voice 1: He will be a joy and delight to you, and many will rejoice because of his birth, for he will be great in the sight of the Lord.
Voice 2: And he will go on before the Lord, in the spirit and power of Elijah, to turn the hearts of fathers to their children and the direct those who are disobedient to the wisdom that produces righteousness—to make ready a people prepared for the Lord."
Voice 1 & 2: Let us pray:
All: Faithful God, fill us with your spirit that our hearts may be open to each other and to your word that promotes right relationships with others and with you. May we be ready to receive you, and ready to serve. Amen.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LentArt: Washing the Disciples' Feet

Today's #LentArt post is "The washing of the disciples' feet" by Ghislaine Howard, another piece from the wonderful Methodist Modern Art Collection. It has clearly struck a chord with a number of people, and I am delighted that tonight's guest blog is by my friend and fellow 4 Corners Director, Father Martin Magill, who, he will be embarrassed to have me say, is for me the epitome of a servant leader. Indeed it was interesting to have a friend and artist respond to my earlier post saying that this time last year she remembers having her feet washed by Martin... How much has changed in a year: This painting (completed in 2004) was inspired by these words from the gospel of John in today's lectionary:  Jesus knew that the Father had delivered all things into His hands, and that He had come from God and was returning to God. So He got up from the supper, laid aside His outer garments, and wrapped a towel around His waist. After that, He poured water ...

Living under the Empire... (2) Where is Babylon?

We were driving back from school last week, talking about books that we had been reading and my younger son, Ciaran, asked me "Where is Babylon?" I have to confess that my history is better than my geography, and I said that it no longer exists as an inhabited city, but its ruins were to the north west of the current capital of Iraq, Baghdad. When I checked however, I discovered that it is actually about 50 miles south of Baghdad and the modern town is the administrative centre of the province of Babil... But just as the modern city is but a shadow of the historic capital of 2 ancient empires, first under Hammurabi in the 18th century BCE and then the "Neo-Babylonian" empire (under Nebuchadnezzar etc) in the 6th century BCE, so the earthly Babylonian empire/s was/were fleeting in comparison to the enduring metaphorical idea of Babylon. The original Empire under Hammurabi was probably the ultimate origin of some of the early Biblical stories, including the ...

A Woman of no Distinction

Don't often post other people's stuff here... But I found this so powerful that I thought I should. It's a performance poem based on John 4: 4-30, and I have attached the original YouTube video below. A word for women, and men, everywhere... "to be known is to be loved, and to be loved is to be known." I am a woman of no distinction of little importance. I am a women of no reputation save that which is bad. You whisper as I pass by and cast judgmental glances, Though you don’t really take the time to look at me, Or even get to know me. For to be known is to be loved, And to be loved is to be known. Otherwise what’s the point in doing either one of them in the first place? I WANT TO BE KNOWN. I want someone to look at my face And not just see two eyes, a nose, a mouth and two ears; But to see all that I am, and could be all my hopes, loves and fears. But that’s too much to hope for, to wish for, or pray for So I don’t, not anymore. Now I keep to myself And by that ...