Skip to main content

Dan's the Man


Its been quite a year so far for Dan Rooney. First his team (and they are HIS team... he owns them) the Pittsburgh Steelers, won an historic 7th Superbowl, then yesterday, as many had predicted, President Obama announced that Mr. Rooney was to be his nominee as Ambassador to Ireland.

Over the years he has invested heavily in peace, reconciliation and redevelopment programmes here in Northern Ireland, and I hope that in his time here as ambassador he will get the chance to see first hand the effect his investment has had on individuals and communities across this land.

Now (ready yourself for a colossal namedrop) I got to meet Dan last year on a visit to Heinz Stadium, the home of the Steelers (hence the photo... that's Mr. Ambassador on the left). I must say that given his position he was one of the most humble men I have ever encountered. He has eschewed the flight of the wealthy to large gated estates further out in Allegheny County and still lives in the family home in what is quite a run down area of downtown Pittsburgh. It's one of the closest houses to the football field, and he is rumoured to walk across to the stadium on match days and queue up with the ordinary fans. That may be an urban myth put about as a PR exercise, but I would believe it of him. And it is encouraging that the President should invite such an able, compassionate yet humble man to be his Ambassador. It certainly will project a different image of the US than is normal. He, and the community-orientated ethos of the Steelers as a whole, was so impressive, that he almost convinced me to shift my 30 year allegiance from the Chicago Bears... And had no qualms about buying my son a Steelers shirt (which he felt very smug about, subsequent to the Superbowl).

Mr Rooney's appointment set me thinking again of Paul's description of Christians as "Ambassadors of Christ" II Corinthians 5: 16-20. The humility that Mr Rooney exhibits may be a characteristic that we as Christians might do well to emulate. We may well be representatives of the King of Kings, but that doesn't mean we should be arrogant about our relationship with Christ when it comes to dealing with those who do not claim a relationship with him. After all he described himself as "humble in heart", and if we are to represent him authentically then that is what we should be. Anyway, arrogance is ultimately be self-defeating.

And what is the message committed to us as Christ's ambassadors? Reconciliation... Paul talks about it in terms of reconciliation with God in Christ, but the rest of scripture makes it clear that you cannot have reconciliation with God without reconciliation with other people.

So may both Dan Rooney and each of us who claim to be Christ's ambassadors do all we can to promote reconciliation in this island...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Woman of no Distinction

Don't often post other people's stuff here... But I found this so powerful that I thought I should. It's a performance poem based on John 4: 4-30, and I have attached the original YouTube video below. A word for women, and men, everywhere... "to be known is to be loved, and to be loved is to be known." I am a woman of no distinction of little importance. I am a women of no reputation save that which is bad. You whisper as I pass by and cast judgmental glances, Though you don’t really take the time to look at me, Or even get to know me. For to be known is to be loved, And to be loved is to be known. Otherwise what’s the point in doing either one of them in the first place? I WANT TO BE KNOWN. I want someone to look at my face And not just see two eyes, a nose, a mouth and two ears; But to see all that I am, and could be all my hopes, loves and fears. But that’s too much to hope for, to wish for, or pray for So I don’t, not anymore. Now I keep to myself And by that

Psalm for Harvest Sunday

A short responsive psalm for us as a call to worship on Harvest Thanksgiving Sunday, and given that it was pouring with rain as I headed into church this morning the first line is an important remembrance that the rain we moan about is an important component of the fruitfulness of the land we live in: You tend the land and water it And the earth produces its abundance. You crown each year with your bounty, and our storehouses overflow with your goodness. The mountain meadows are covered with flocks and the valleys are filled with corn; Your people celebrate your boundless grace They shout for joy and sing. from Psalm 65

Anointed

There has been a lot of chatter on social media among some of my colleagues and others about the liturgical and socio-political niceties of Saturday's coronation and attendant festivities, especially the shielding of the anointing with the pictured spoon - the oldest and perhaps strangest of the coronation artefacts. Personally I thought that was at least an improvement on the cloth of gold canopy used in the previous coronation, but (pointless) debates are raging as to whether this is an ancient practice or was simply introduced in the previous service to shield the Queen from the TV cameras, not for purposes of sacredness, but understandable coyness, if she actually had to bare her breast bone in puritan 1950s Britain. But as any church leader knows, anything performed twice in a church becomes a tradition. All this goes to show that I did actually watch it, while doing other things - the whole shooting match from the pre-service concert with yer wumman in that lemon-