Skip to main content

It's not because I'm fat... I've got a virus!


Today I have to go see the dietician. I am, as some of you know, diabetic. When asked I sometimes say that the Dalai Lama made me a diabetic... because I was diagnosed with diabetes at a time when I was stressed out over arrangements for his visit to West Belfast... It was also a week before the birth of my second son Ciaran... so at other times I claim that it was the stress of his impending arrival that was the decisive factor... Typical of me, with other people it is the expectant mother who becomes diabetic, I had to be different! But the fact of the matter is that whilst stress has been shown to contribute to the onset of type-2 diabetes, it is only a minor and possibly a secondary factor.
Much more important is our genes, and in my case it is a nice little gift that my Dad gave to my eldest brother and me. However, both my Dad and brother got diabetes much later in life, suggesting that there was something else at work with me. It could be the stress I was under at that time, but it is much more likely to have been my poor diet (great in quantity but not necessarily quality), an inability to say no to food or leave anything on my plate (which I suppose I could blame my Mum for...) and a more sedentary lifestyle than previous generations.

In all of this I am not atypical of the current "epidemic" of type 2 diabetes cases that are cropping up in their 30s and 40s (as opposed to 50s and 60s as in previous generations)...

But apparently future generations may be saved from all this, because we shouldn't blame it on our mums, dads, or the Dalai Lama. It is apparenty the fault of a virus. But then... isn't everything!

News last week suggested that 'scientists' have discovered that a gastric virus may be associated with both Type 1 & 2 diabetes, raising hopes of a 'vaccine' to prevent diabetes.
This, again, shows the alarming tendency within the media to simplify science, as seen, for example, in some of the climate change stories. So far as I have been able to see, the particular virus occurs up to 60% of Type 1 patients and only 40% of Type 2 diabetics, and there is no causal link yet demonstrated. So even if a vaccine for this bug where to be developed, there is no telling whether it would actually prevent anyone from developing diabetes, nor indeed if killing off this bug might not have other serious deliterious side-effects. But why let the complexity of scientific truth stand in the way of a good headline.

In this, as in so much else, we want someone, other than ourselves, to blame. I could make a significant change to my condition today if I would simply change my eating habits.

But perhaps I'll just tell the dietician today that it's not my fault... It's a virus...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Woman of no Distinction

Don't often post other people's stuff here... But I found this so powerful that I thought I should. It's a performance poem based on John 4: 4-30, and I have attached the original YouTube video below. A word for women, and men, everywhere... "to be known is to be loved, and to be loved is to be known." I am a woman of no distinction of little importance. I am a women of no reputation save that which is bad. You whisper as I pass by and cast judgmental glances, Though you don’t really take the time to look at me, Or even get to know me. For to be known is to be loved, And to be loved is to be known. Otherwise what’s the point in doing either one of them in the first place? I WANT TO BE KNOWN. I want someone to look at my face And not just see two eyes, a nose, a mouth and two ears; But to see all that I am, and could be all my hopes, loves and fears. But that’s too much to hope for, to wish for, or pray for So I don’t, not anymore. Now I keep to myself And by that

Psalm for Harvest Sunday

A short responsive psalm for us as a call to worship on Harvest Thanksgiving Sunday, and given that it was pouring with rain as I headed into church this morning the first line is an important remembrance that the rain we moan about is an important component of the fruitfulness of the land we live in: You tend the land and water it And the earth produces its abundance. You crown each year with your bounty, and our storehouses overflow with your goodness. The mountain meadows are covered with flocks and the valleys are filled with corn; Your people celebrate your boundless grace They shout for joy and sing. from Psalm 65

Anointed

There has been a lot of chatter on social media among some of my colleagues and others about the liturgical and socio-political niceties of Saturday's coronation and attendant festivities, especially the shielding of the anointing with the pictured spoon - the oldest and perhaps strangest of the coronation artefacts. Personally I thought that was at least an improvement on the cloth of gold canopy used in the previous coronation, but (pointless) debates are raging as to whether this is an ancient practice or was simply introduced in the previous service to shield the Queen from the TV cameras, not for purposes of sacredness, but understandable coyness, if she actually had to bare her breast bone in puritan 1950s Britain. But as any church leader knows, anything performed twice in a church becomes a tradition. All this goes to show that I did actually watch it, while doing other things - the whole shooting match from the pre-service concert with yer wumman in that lemon-