Skip to main content

All in White Shall Wait Around...


"These are they who have come out of the great tribulation; they have washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb. Therefore, "they are before the throne of God and serve him day and night in his temple; and he who sits on the throne will spread his tent over them. Never again will they hunger; never again will they thirst. The sun will not beat upon them, nor any scorching heat. For the Lamb at the centre of the throne will be their shepherd; he will lead them to springs of living water. And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes."

Revelation 7:14-17 (ANIV)

I used this passage at one of the two funerals I have conducted this week but I never realised that at least one council in England is making sure that the departed are kitted out in their white robes before they are committed to God.

Apparently Kirklees Council have banned people from being cremated wearing their own clothes, instead requiring that bereaved relatives pay an extra £60 for a 100% natural shroud, which is not going to give off any nasty toxins. They have likewise banned the inclusion of any fluffy toys from grieving (or indeed deceased) children. The funeral I conducted at the crematorium this week was before I read this news so I haven't yet got to check whether Belfast City Council have jumped on this particular environmental (with the emphasis on the mental) bandwagon.

Now, its been a while since I've done any organic chemistry, but given the toxins that burning protein and varnished wood already give off, I would reckon that those emitted by a cremated polyester suit or pink fluffy bunny would be relatively negligible... OK, people should not dress the deceased in puffa jackets, shell suits and wellington boots, nor should they pack their coffins with 300 beanie babies... nor indeed include 2 cans of budweiser as I heard had been tucked in the armpits of someone who had managed to kill himself in a drink driving incident recently (nice!), but saying goodbye to a loved one is difficult enough without rules and regulations making it harder and less personal.

Because of changes in rules and regulations regarding depths of graves (and I suspect laziness on the part of grave-diggers who didn't dig the earlier graves deep enough) the family of the lady who I buried this week, discovered that whilst they had expected her to be buried with her husband in a family grave, that plot had been declared closed. So they had to bury her in a new plot, at the far end of the cemetery from her husband and siblings. This caused incredible stress at an already fraught time, and I was thankful for the support of a wonderful funeral director in doing all that he possibly could to remedy this difficult situation , although to no avail.

There are enough hurdles to negotiate at such a time. Being told that your loved one needs to be dressed in an environmentally friendly frilly shroud is an unnecessary one, and I trust that it will never become de rigeur here.

Let's leave the outfitting for eternity to God, and while he wipes the eyes of those who have departed, let us seek to dry the tears of those who remain behind, rather than wrapping them up in red tape.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LentArt: Washing the Disciples' Feet

Today's #LentArt post is "The washing of the disciples' feet" by Ghislaine Howard, another piece from the wonderful Methodist Modern Art Collection. It has clearly struck a chord with a number of people, and I am delighted that tonight's guest blog is by my friend and fellow 4 Corners Director, Father Martin Magill, who, he will be embarrassed to have me say, is for me the epitome of a servant leader. Indeed it was interesting to have a friend and artist respond to my earlier post saying that this time last year she remembers having her feet washed by Martin... How much has changed in a year: This painting (completed in 2004) was inspired by these words from the gospel of John in today's lectionary:  Jesus knew that the Father had delivered all things into His hands, and that He had come from God and was returning to God. So He got up from the supper, laid aside His outer garments, and wrapped a towel around His waist. After that, He poured water ...

Living under the Empire... (2) Where is Babylon?

We were driving back from school last week, talking about books that we had been reading and my younger son, Ciaran, asked me "Where is Babylon?" I have to confess that my history is better than my geography, and I said that it no longer exists as an inhabited city, but its ruins were to the north west of the current capital of Iraq, Baghdad. When I checked however, I discovered that it is actually about 50 miles south of Baghdad and the modern town is the administrative centre of the province of Babil... But just as the modern city is but a shadow of the historic capital of 2 ancient empires, first under Hammurabi in the 18th century BCE and then the "Neo-Babylonian" empire (under Nebuchadnezzar etc) in the 6th century BCE, so the earthly Babylonian empire/s was/were fleeting in comparison to the enduring metaphorical idea of Babylon. The original Empire under Hammurabi was probably the ultimate origin of some of the early Biblical stories, including the ...

A Woman of no Distinction

Don't often post other people's stuff here... But I found this so powerful that I thought I should. It's a performance poem based on John 4: 4-30, and I have attached the original YouTube video below. A word for women, and men, everywhere... "to be known is to be loved, and to be loved is to be known." I am a woman of no distinction of little importance. I am a women of no reputation save that which is bad. You whisper as I pass by and cast judgmental glances, Though you don’t really take the time to look at me, Or even get to know me. For to be known is to be loved, And to be loved is to be known. Otherwise what’s the point in doing either one of them in the first place? I WANT TO BE KNOWN. I want someone to look at my face And not just see two eyes, a nose, a mouth and two ears; But to see all that I am, and could be all my hopes, loves and fears. But that’s too much to hope for, to wish for, or pray for So I don’t, not anymore. Now I keep to myself And by that ...