Skip to main content

Jesus, Robbie Williams and Gok Wan



A couple of days ago, Terry Wogan, in the midst of his early morning witterings, played Robbie William's latest ditty, "Bodies", asking after it had finished "has Robbie got religion?" A few moments before, Owain, my teenage son, had asked a another question: "What on earth is he on about?" I'm not sure about the answer to either question... Even less so after looking at the lyrics below for longer than I should have...


The words are all there: God, Jesus, died for me, save me, perfection, rapture... Assembled in a different order they would be perfectly at home in a revivalist tent-meeting... (Although the reference to a Bodhi Tree clearly owes more to Eastern religion/new-age pick and mix spirituality)


But what's all this stuff about looking good naked? That certainly owes more to Gok Wan than the gospel, although it may be an easy summation of what the gospel is up against in modern western culture. If the big questions that others are asking are of the order of "how do I look good naked?" (not a question I have wrestled with personally or in my preaching) then perhaps the church is actually answering questions that no-one is asking...


But that is probably reading far too much into this piece of pop pap... The problem is, it is annoyingly memorable, "an ear worm" as my youngest son Ciaran calls it.


If only the sermons that use the words God, Jesus, died for me, save me, perfection and rapture, were as memorable... and made as much sense!


(If anyone would like to offer a coherent exegesis of this "text" please feel free to comment)


God gave me the sunshine,
Then showed me my lifeline
I was told it was all mine,
Then I got laid on a ley line
What a day, what a day,
And your Jesus really died for me
Then Jesus really tried for me


UK and entropy,
I feel like its s****in’ me
Wanna feed off the energy,
Love living like a deity
What a day, one day,
And your Jesus really died for me
I guess Jesus really tried for me
Bodies in the Bodhi tree,
Bodies making chemistry
Bodies on my family,
Bodies in the way of me
Bodies in the cemetery,
And that’s the way it’s gonna be
All we’ve ever wanted
Is to look good naked
Hope that someone can take it
God save me rejection
From my reflection,
I want perfection


Praying for the rapture,
‘Cause it’s stranger getting stranger
And everything’s contagious
It’s the modern middle ages
All day every day
And if Jesus really died for me
Then Jesus really tried for me
Bodies in the Bodhi tree,
Bodies making chemistry
Bodies on my family,
Bodies in the way of me
Bodies in the cemetery,
And that’s the way it’s gonna be


All we’ve ever wanted
Is to look good naked
Hope that someone can take it
God save me rejection
From my reflection,
I want perfection


Bodies in the Bodhi tree,
Bodies making chemistry
Bodies on my family,
Bodies in the way of me
Bodies in the cemetery,
And that’s the way it’s gonna be


Bodies in the Bodhi tree,
Bodies making chemistry
Bodies on my family,
Bodies in the way of me
Bodies in the cemetery,
And that’s the way it’s gonna be


All we’ve ever wanted
Is to look good naked
Hope that someone can take it
So God save me rejection
From my reflection,
I want perfection
Jesus didn’t die for you, what do you want?(I want perfection)
Jesus didn’t die for you, what are you on?Oh Lord(Jesus really died for you)
Ohh(Jesus really died for you)
(Jesus really died for you) Ohh

Comments

snauzer said…
David I'm having difficulty sending
comments could you let me know if you get this
Its there in black (and blue) and white!
snauzer said…
David,
Never mind about questions like "how good do i look naked?"
when yer over 30 who cares today anyway?
Is it not better to question .
the laws laid down in the Good Book. It could be benficial to your health in the long run.

I was reading the other day a collection of God's rules and regulations. Boys a dear God hands down a nightmare of a human code for us to live by.
I'm not sure Methodists are up to this you know.

According to some scholars the number of victims who paid the ultimate price in wars that are claimed to be instigated by God is hard to determine, but it is thought to be around 5 million this includes wars and plagues.

This God is a mass murderer plain and simple. and this does not include fights and wars going onto day.The only good thing is that these murders never took place because a vivid human imagination was most definately the source as is the case today with regard to Gods existance. and which is being shown for what it is worth.

The very first book of the Bible is now declared fiction by religious leaders. Dare we mention Revelations.

A good God "do you know one".

This from the good book?

Anyone who goes uncircumcised is to be exiled from his people. thats me for one.

a man who marries a mother and daughter must be burned to death, so he should be.

if two men have sexual relations both must be put to death. egh!I could name a few. but would i miss them.

if a man has sex with an animal he should be put to death, i'll kill him myself.

anyone who attacks their mother or father must be put to death. if i had attacked my father i'd be dead long ago.

anyone who kidnaps must be put to death. what?

anyone who commits murder should be put to death. good

anyone who commits adultery must be put to death.
well there goes at least half of us.

now if you kidnap someone yer a gonner

if you disobey a judge or priest your put to death. i'm glad i don't mix with either. don't tell me your a priest but a prod one.

anyone who works on the sabath is dead except Methodist MInisters i suppose or else its not true, so it mustn't be true then.

now if you don't worship God yer dead for good and ever. its in the book.(2 chronicles 15:13 )

any prophet who turns you against god must be put to death.
do you have to do exams to be a prophet?
what if you make a wee mistake is that a big one

if your ox gores someone, not only is the ox in big trouble but your stoned to death. do you want to buy an ox?

anybody who claims to talk with spirits must be stoned to death. if i remember right we used to encourage that during alpha? talking to spirits i mean.

that's enough already.

Having read that I'm very happy being one of the others.

Finally, whoes Robbie anyway?
Snauzer, welcome back.
Didn't look god naked when I was less than 30 so it certainly won't be any better today...
As for your other comments... well, I could refer you to any number of books that could answer them much more coherently than I would, but I don't believe that's what you're interested in... Let me go so far as to say that most "religious" wars have little to do with the teaching of Jesus, and the combined activities of Hitler & Stalin (2 professed atheists) alone account for over 5 million people. But just because of those deranged individuals I'm not going to write off all atheists as genocidal maniacs.
As for the OT laws you quote... try comparing them with the code of Hammurabi and you might find them coming out as marginally more humanitarian... I don't believe that the laws you quote were absolute and eternal, but they were certainly an advance on the anarchy that prevailed in the ANE of the time.
As for the law regarding those speaking to spirits... I think its a bit extreme to stone those speaking in tongues to death... tho I could be tempted on occasions...

Popular posts from this blog

A Woman of no Distinction

Don't often post other people's stuff here... But I found this so powerful that I thought I should. It's a performance poem based on John 4: 4-30, and I have attached the original YouTube video below. A word for women, and men, everywhere... "to be known is to be loved, and to be loved is to be known." I am a woman of no distinction of little importance. I am a women of no reputation save that which is bad. You whisper as I pass by and cast judgmental glances, Though you don’t really take the time to look at me, Or even get to know me. For to be known is to be loved, And to be loved is to be known. Otherwise what’s the point in doing either one of them in the first place? I WANT TO BE KNOWN. I want someone to look at my face And not just see two eyes, a nose, a mouth and two ears; But to see all that I am, and could be all my hopes, loves and fears. But that’s too much to hope for, to wish for, or pray for So I don’t, not anymore. Now I keep to myself And by that

Psalm for Harvest Sunday

A short responsive psalm for us as a call to worship on Harvest Thanksgiving Sunday, and given that it was pouring with rain as I headed into church this morning the first line is an important remembrance that the rain we moan about is an important component of the fruitfulness of the land we live in: You tend the land and water it And the earth produces its abundance. You crown each year with your bounty, and our storehouses overflow with your goodness. The mountain meadows are covered with flocks and the valleys are filled with corn; Your people celebrate your boundless grace They shout for joy and sing. from Psalm 65

Anointed

There has been a lot of chatter on social media among some of my colleagues and others about the liturgical and socio-political niceties of Saturday's coronation and attendant festivities, especially the shielding of the anointing with the pictured spoon - the oldest and perhaps strangest of the coronation artefacts. Personally I thought that was at least an improvement on the cloth of gold canopy used in the previous coronation, but (pointless) debates are raging as to whether this is an ancient practice or was simply introduced in the previous service to shield the Queen from the TV cameras, not for purposes of sacredness, but understandable coyness, if she actually had to bare her breast bone in puritan 1950s Britain. But as any church leader knows, anything performed twice in a church becomes a tradition. All this goes to show that I did actually watch it, while doing other things - the whole shooting match from the pre-service concert with yer wumman in that lemon-