Skip to main content

Directions


Do you know where you are going?
A fortnight ago I was in London for a conference… I had everything worked out in terms of how long it would take me to get from the hotel to Westminster Central Hall where the conference was due to take place… So I set out in good time only to arrive at the door of the conference venue and find that no-one was there except for a security guard…
“No conference on here today mate! Sorry!” he said.
I tried to call a colleague who was going to the same event, but while I was trying and failing to get through to him a message came through from him asking was I already inside?
Eventually, after a few failed attempts I got him and discovered that I had been mistaken... it wasn't Westminster Central Hall it was at, it was in Westminster Chapel…
"I know where that is…" I said, "I’ll be there in about 5 minutes…" and strode off boldly in the right direction, so I thought…
I then arrived at my second destination only to find that what I thought was Westinster Chapel, wasn't...
The irony was that I had actually taken a satnav with me to London but was so confident of where I was going that morning that I left it in the hotel. If I had asked for directions back at the first venue, the security guard could probably have told me where to go... But now standing outside the second wrong destination there was absolutely no-one I could ask… So I looked it up on the internet using my phone… Thank goodness for modern technology… But it isn’t as good as my satnav, and, because I read it incorrectly I started out by heading off in completely the opposite direction that I should have. After walking for 5 minutes in the wrong direction I realized my mistake, and turned around… at last arriving at the conference about half an hour late...
Do you know where you are going? Do you know how to get there? Really?
Jesus says “ I am the way the truth and the life…” He doesn’t just tell us where to go… he shows us the way to get there… and will walk with us every step of the way if we let him…
(An adaptation of this morning's "Just a Moment" on Downtown Radio.)


Counters
Shalom

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LentArt: Washing the Disciples' Feet

Today's #LentArt post is "The washing of the disciples' feet" by Ghislaine Howard, another piece from the wonderful Methodist Modern Art Collection. It has clearly struck a chord with a number of people, and I am delighted that tonight's guest blog is by my friend and fellow 4 Corners Director, Father Martin Magill, who, he will be embarrassed to have me say, is for me the epitome of a servant leader. Indeed it was interesting to have a friend and artist respond to my earlier post saying that this time last year she remembers having her feet washed by Martin... How much has changed in a year: This painting (completed in 2004) was inspired by these words from the gospel of John in today's lectionary:  Jesus knew that the Father had delivered all things into His hands, and that He had come from God and was returning to God. So He got up from the supper, laid aside His outer garments, and wrapped a towel around His waist. After that, He poured water ...

Living under the Empire... (2) Where is Babylon?

We were driving back from school last week, talking about books that we had been reading and my younger son, Ciaran, asked me "Where is Babylon?" I have to confess that my history is better than my geography, and I said that it no longer exists as an inhabited city, but its ruins were to the north west of the current capital of Iraq, Baghdad. When I checked however, I discovered that it is actually about 50 miles south of Baghdad and the modern town is the administrative centre of the province of Babil... But just as the modern city is but a shadow of the historic capital of 2 ancient empires, first under Hammurabi in the 18th century BCE and then the "Neo-Babylonian" empire (under Nebuchadnezzar etc) in the 6th century BCE, so the earthly Babylonian empire/s was/were fleeting in comparison to the enduring metaphorical idea of Babylon. The original Empire under Hammurabi was probably the ultimate origin of some of the early Biblical stories, including the ...

A Woman of no Distinction

Don't often post other people's stuff here... But I found this so powerful that I thought I should. It's a performance poem based on John 4: 4-30, and I have attached the original YouTube video below. A word for women, and men, everywhere... "to be known is to be loved, and to be loved is to be known." I am a woman of no distinction of little importance. I am a women of no reputation save that which is bad. You whisper as I pass by and cast judgmental glances, Though you don’t really take the time to look at me, Or even get to know me. For to be known is to be loved, And to be loved is to be known. Otherwise what’s the point in doing either one of them in the first place? I WANT TO BE KNOWN. I want someone to look at my face And not just see two eyes, a nose, a mouth and two ears; But to see all that I am, and could be all my hopes, loves and fears. But that’s too much to hope for, to wish for, or pray for So I don’t, not anymore. Now I keep to myself And by that ...