Skip to main content

15s


Memes are clearly a bit like buses, you don't see one for ages then 2 come along at once (and what a coincidence to be writing about memes the day after refering to the book that, I believe, coined the term ,Uncle Dick's "Selfish Gene"). Anyway, over on FB I recently forwarded a 15 influential authors meme that has provided people across the globe with discussion topics (and has set me on the hunt of a few new authors), and tonight I came across this "First 15" meme on Connexions.
The rules are:

1) Turn on your MP3 player or music player on your computer.
2) Go to SHUFFLE songs mode.
3) Write down the first 15 songs that come up–song title and artist–NO editing/cheating, please (no-matter how bizarre or embarrassing the results are).
After listing then tag another fifteen people including me (so I can laugh at your results, although I know in advance that 12 out of 15 on Glenn Jordan's list will be Bruce Springsteen songs, while all of Stocki's list will be U2 tracks or pieces by artists I've never heard of). Bloggers, consider yourself tagged, if you're not then join in via facebook or on the comments section...
But anyway, here's what turned up on my list...
1) Little Wing by Derek and the Dominos "Live at the Filmore"
2) Diana by Paul Anka "100 Hits from the 50's" (How did that get there?)
3) Lay Down Sally by Eric Clapton "Slowhand"
4) Stone Free by the Jimi Hendrix Experience "Are you Experienced?"
5) Teardrops from my Eyes by George Benson with Jools Holland's Big Band "Small World, Big Band"
6) The Grouch by Green Day "Nimrod"
7) Showtime by Nellie Furtado "Loose"
8) Old Love by Eric Clapton "Unplugged"
9) Bridge Over Troubled Water by Simon and Garfunkle "Bridge Over Troubled Water"
10) Ain't No Sunshine Now She's Gone by Bill Withers "Notting Hill Soundtrack" (Oh the shame... its Sally's CD honestly... but it is a good track!)
11) Nothing Really Happens by Larry Norman "Upon this Rock"
12) Running to Standstill by U2 "The Joshua Tree"
13) Perfect by Alanis Morisette "Jagged Little Pill"
14) As the Days Go By by Daryl Braithwaite "Peter's Friends Soundtrack" (Let's get this straight... Sally buys all these soundtrack albums, and I don't like this track)
15) She's So High by Blur "The Best of Blur"

Now, let the mutual abuse commence... ( I wonder what would be the first 15 on Richard Dawkins' list?)

Comments

Richard Hall said…
I don't think I'm in much of a position to abuse anyone about this! Of course, the great thing about this meme is that it can be repeated (unles you only have 15 tracks on your mp3 player)

So here's my next list...

1. When tomorrow comes, Eurythmics
2. My city of ruins, Bruce Springsteen
3. Northern Lights, Renaissance
4. Let earth and heaven combine, maddy Prior and the Carnival Band
5. I don't want to know (if you don't want me), The Donnas
6. Which side are you on, The Almanac Singers
7. City of Blinding Lights, U2
8. Maria Elena, Ry Cooder
9. It was so easy to find an unhappy woman, The Proclaimers
10. Hearthammer, Runrig
11. Amazing Grace, The Blind Boys of Alabama
12. You're my best friend, Queen
13. Hard Boiled eggs and Nuts, Positively Testcard
14. Suzanne, Leonard Cohen
15. The Beehive, Flook
On further reflection I wondered whether the list produced by a shuffle of my desktop music player might be significantly different from the earlier one thrown up by my mobile/mp3... So having performed that exercise the 15 thrown up were:
1) American Eulogy by Green Day
2) Whenever God Shines his Light by Van Morrison and Cliff Richard (which I think/hope is the only Cliff track on my entire collection)
3) You're Still the One by Shania Twain (embarassment rising)
4) You're nobody til' somebody loves you by Micky Bubbles
5) Right by your Side by Eurythmics
6) Speed of Sound by Coldplay
7) The Sound of Silence by Simon and Garfunkle
8) Jacob's Dream by Alison Krauss
9) Texarkana Baby by Duke Special
10) Somewhere by Jim Bryant (West Side Story Original Soundtrack)
11) Ain't No Sunshine Now She's Gone by Lighthouse Family
12) Oualahila by Tinariwen
13) Why Does Love Got to be So Sad by derek and the Dominos
14) Portrait by Duke Special
15) Other side of the World by K.T. Tunstall

Not radically different actually. Still firmly middle of the road and still no overtly "religious" tracks (except for Cliff of course)... what sort of a Methodist minister am I?

Popular posts from this blog

A Woman of no Distinction

Don't often post other people's stuff here... But I found this so powerful that I thought I should. It's a performance poem based on John 4: 4-30, and I have attached the original YouTube video below. A word for women, and men, everywhere... "to be known is to be loved, and to be loved is to be known." I am a woman of no distinction of little importance. I am a women of no reputation save that which is bad. You whisper as I pass by and cast judgmental glances, Though you don’t really take the time to look at me, Or even get to know me. For to be known is to be loved, And to be loved is to be known. Otherwise what’s the point in doing either one of them in the first place? I WANT TO BE KNOWN. I want someone to look at my face And not just see two eyes, a nose, a mouth and two ears; But to see all that I am, and could be all my hopes, loves and fears. But that’s too much to hope for, to wish for, or pray for So I don’t, not anymore. Now I keep to myself And by that

Psalm for Harvest Sunday

A short responsive psalm for us as a call to worship on Harvest Thanksgiving Sunday, and given that it was pouring with rain as I headed into church this morning the first line is an important remembrance that the rain we moan about is an important component of the fruitfulness of the land we live in: You tend the land and water it And the earth produces its abundance. You crown each year with your bounty, and our storehouses overflow with your goodness. The mountain meadows are covered with flocks and the valleys are filled with corn; Your people celebrate your boundless grace They shout for joy and sing. from Psalm 65

Anointed

There has been a lot of chatter on social media among some of my colleagues and others about the liturgical and socio-political niceties of Saturday's coronation and attendant festivities, especially the shielding of the anointing with the pictured spoon - the oldest and perhaps strangest of the coronation artefacts. Personally I thought that was at least an improvement on the cloth of gold canopy used in the previous coronation, but (pointless) debates are raging as to whether this is an ancient practice or was simply introduced in the previous service to shield the Queen from the TV cameras, not for purposes of sacredness, but understandable coyness, if she actually had to bare her breast bone in puritan 1950s Britain. But as any church leader knows, anything performed twice in a church becomes a tradition. All this goes to show that I did actually watch it, while doing other things - the whole shooting match from the pre-service concert with yer wumman in that lemon-