Skip to main content

Mid Life Crisis Meme


OK... This is another recyled meme from a friend over on Facebook, but this one chimes with me because at a certain time of life a not so young man's fancy turns to thoughts of what they would like to do on this planet before they shuffle off this mortal coil. So this is effectively a "bucket list"
What do I want to do before kicking that proverbial bucket?
Most of mine are to do with travelling... something I didn't do enough of when younger and with fewer responsibilities to/for others.
1) Visits to Egypt, Israel, Palestine, Jordan (Petra) Rome and mainland Greece - largely shaped by my love of ancient history, and particularly Biblical and ancient church history.
2) Visits to India and Sub-saharan Africa: two areas of the world/cultures that I know far too little about.
3) Visits to Grand Canyon and Great Barrier Reef: to appreciate these 2 natural wonders of the world close up.
4) Direct a Shakespeare play again: probably Titus Andronicus with buckets of blood (literally)
5) Completing a doctorate: talked about it and set things up a number of times over the past 15-20 years, just never got it off the ground... (probably won't now...) but talking about getting something off the ground...
6) Doing a parachute jump... probably do one as a fundraiser... I know plenty of people who would pay good money to see me pushed out of a plane, preferably without a parachute however...
7) Seeing my sons as happy and secure adults... In this worrisome world that is, wothout doubt, the most important on this list...

What's on your bucket list? Don't spend too long on it, trying to be too profound or pious... Just rattle them off... Again if you are a blogger, post them on your own site and drop me a note to let me know... Or post them below...

Cheers

Comments

Micky said…
Hmmm interesting....

1. Visit Petra, Alhambra and parts of Greece for the church and wider history.
2. Visit Canada, New Zealand and Machu Pichu.
3. Write a novel - I have two books of poems and prayers published but not sure I can call myself an 'author' without a novel.
4. Live in a cottage/small house with fruit trees and a big workshop for my glass work.
5. Get fit! Learn to ride a bike.
6. Get PhD - at least I think I know what it would be about now.
7. See my kids happy - move to top of list
8. Read the books on my shelves.

Popular posts from this blog

LentArt: Washing the Disciples' Feet

Today's #LentArt post is "The washing of the disciples' feet" by Ghislaine Howard, another piece from the wonderful Methodist Modern Art Collection. It has clearly struck a chord with a number of people, and I am delighted that tonight's guest blog is by my friend and fellow 4 Corners Director, Father Martin Magill, who, he will be embarrassed to have me say, is for me the epitome of a servant leader. Indeed it was interesting to have a friend and artist respond to my earlier post saying that this time last year she remembers having her feet washed by Martin... How much has changed in a year: This painting (completed in 2004) was inspired by these words from the gospel of John in today's lectionary:  Jesus knew that the Father had delivered all things into His hands, and that He had come from God and was returning to God. So He got up from the supper, laid aside His outer garments, and wrapped a towel around His waist. After that, He poured water ...

Living under the Empire... (2) Where is Babylon?

We were driving back from school last week, talking about books that we had been reading and my younger son, Ciaran, asked me "Where is Babylon?" I have to confess that my history is better than my geography, and I said that it no longer exists as an inhabited city, but its ruins were to the north west of the current capital of Iraq, Baghdad. When I checked however, I discovered that it is actually about 50 miles south of Baghdad and the modern town is the administrative centre of the province of Babil... But just as the modern city is but a shadow of the historic capital of 2 ancient empires, first under Hammurabi in the 18th century BCE and then the "Neo-Babylonian" empire (under Nebuchadnezzar etc) in the 6th century BCE, so the earthly Babylonian empire/s was/were fleeting in comparison to the enduring metaphorical idea of Babylon. The original Empire under Hammurabi was probably the ultimate origin of some of the early Biblical stories, including the ...

A Woman of no Distinction

Don't often post other people's stuff here... But I found this so powerful that I thought I should. It's a performance poem based on John 4: 4-30, and I have attached the original YouTube video below. A word for women, and men, everywhere... "to be known is to be loved, and to be loved is to be known." I am a woman of no distinction of little importance. I am a women of no reputation save that which is bad. You whisper as I pass by and cast judgmental glances, Though you don’t really take the time to look at me, Or even get to know me. For to be known is to be loved, And to be loved is to be known. Otherwise what’s the point in doing either one of them in the first place? I WANT TO BE KNOWN. I want someone to look at my face And not just see two eyes, a nose, a mouth and two ears; But to see all that I am, and could be all my hopes, loves and fears. But that’s too much to hope for, to wish for, or pray for So I don’t, not anymore. Now I keep to myself And by that ...