Skip to main content

I am the True Vine



"I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful... Remain in me, and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me. I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. If anyone does not remain in me, he is like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you. This is to my Father's glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples."



John 15:1-8 (ANIV)






In the mid 19th century, while Ireland was laid waste by potato blight, imported from America, France was devastated by another American pest… Phylloxera, which destroyed most of the vineyards in France… Eventually the only solution was for European varieties of grape to be grafted on to the resistant American rootstocks.
It is only when we are grafted into the rootstock of Christ that we can be protected against the even more devastating blight of sin… But that is not the end of all trouble, trial and pain… Indeed Jesus suggests that pain, or pruning is the lot for blighted or fruitful branches… And on the cross Jesus ultimately demonstrated his solidarity with humanity in suffering and death. But it might also be said that this was the very point at which, through pain and suffering, we were grafted into Christ.

REFLECTION
I am
the true vine,
from my roots lodged deep in eternity
flows life
and love
and fruitfulness…

I am
The true vine,
And my Father God is the gardener
Tending the vine
Pruning the branches…
There is no escaping the sharp edge of his knife
Unfruitful branches are cut off
Fruitful branches are cut back.
Unfruitful branches are cut off so they will not sap the strength of the fruitful ones
And burned to prevent the spread of disease and decay
But fruitful branches are cut back to prepare for new growth and fruitfulness
But only the expert gardener can tell one from the other
He will do the cutting off and cutting back
All you have to do is remain in me...
And grow
And be fruitful

I am
The true vine
And you are the branches
Grafted in
One dark spring morning
When the vine seemed dead
Cut down.
But when the world least expected it
The vine broke free of the cold dark earth.
The branches spread their leaves to the risen sun
Nourished by my blood poured out in love
And the sap of the spirit formed flavoursome fruit.

I am
The true vine
You are the branches
And the trellis is a cross

Music: Here is Love (Joanne Hogg)

PRAYER
Loving Lord Jesus, Great I Am, the True Vine
Keep us abiding in you…
In the business of life…
In the darkness of death
You are the vine
We are the branches




Loving Lord Jesus, Great I Am, the True Vine
We give thanks that the branches of your church stretch right around this world
Different nations and denominations
With varying languages, cultures, theologies, worship styles, organizational structures
Yet all find their roots in you and your cross O Christ.
Together today we give thanks for your sacrifice for us and for the whole world.
May we live our lives in the light of your loving sacrifice
Loving one another as you have loved us
Forgiving as you forgave
Seeking to be one as you and the Father and the Spirit are one…
You are the vine
We are the branches




We remember those branches of the church that are under different pressures at this time
Those who are being actively persecuted and prevented from celebrating this Easter season freely
Those who live in societies that are not as materially well off as we are and so struggle to meet the needs of those around them
But also those who, like us, live in affluent societies where people outside and inside your church do not recognize their need of and dependence on You.
May we all remember that just as the cross of Christ became a source and sign of victory and hope
So our times of difficulty and suffering will bear much fruit for you and your kingdom
You are the vine
We are the branches

Loving Lord Jesus, Great I Am, the True Vine
We give thanks for the other branches of your church in this area…
And pray that our work together may be a sign of our unity and your claims on this the people of this area
May our community become your vineyard
Show us how we can better work together to extend your kingdom in this area
And forgive us where we have sought to build up our own wee empires at the expense of your Kingdom
You are the vine
We are the branches

Loving Lord Jesus, Great I Am, the True Vine
We give thanks for our brothers and sisters in this branch of your church
Praying for those who are experiencing the pain of pruning at this time
And those who feel that they are withered and fruitless.
May your Spirit restore them and may we support them in all that they are facing
You are the vine
We are the branches


Jesus, you said, 'I am the true vine’.
And we are the branches
Pruned by our gardener God
Son of God, keep us abiding in you.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Wow, THANK YOU for this poem! Inspired me.

Popular posts from this blog

A Woman of no Distinction

Don't often post other people's stuff here... But I found this so powerful that I thought I should. It's a performance poem based on John 4: 4-30, and I have attached the original YouTube video below. A word for women, and men, everywhere... "to be known is to be loved, and to be loved is to be known." I am a woman of no distinction of little importance. I am a women of no reputation save that which is bad. You whisper as I pass by and cast judgmental glances, Though you don’t really take the time to look at me, Or even get to know me. For to be known is to be loved, And to be loved is to be known. Otherwise what’s the point in doing either one of them in the first place? I WANT TO BE KNOWN. I want someone to look at my face And not just see two eyes, a nose, a mouth and two ears; But to see all that I am, and could be all my hopes, loves and fears. But that’s too much to hope for, to wish for, or pray for So I don’t, not anymore. Now I keep to myself And by that

Psalm for Harvest Sunday

A short responsive psalm for us as a call to worship on Harvest Thanksgiving Sunday, and given that it was pouring with rain as I headed into church this morning the first line is an important remembrance that the rain we moan about is an important component of the fruitfulness of the land we live in: You tend the land and water it And the earth produces its abundance. You crown each year with your bounty, and our storehouses overflow with your goodness. The mountain meadows are covered with flocks and the valleys are filled with corn; Your people celebrate your boundless grace They shout for joy and sing. from Psalm 65

Anointed

There has been a lot of chatter on social media among some of my colleagues and others about the liturgical and socio-political niceties of Saturday's coronation and attendant festivities, especially the shielding of the anointing with the pictured spoon - the oldest and perhaps strangest of the coronation artefacts. Personally I thought that was at least an improvement on the cloth of gold canopy used in the previous coronation, but (pointless) debates are raging as to whether this is an ancient practice or was simply introduced in the previous service to shield the Queen from the TV cameras, not for purposes of sacredness, but understandable coyness, if she actually had to bare her breast bone in puritan 1950s Britain. But as any church leader knows, anything performed twice in a church becomes a tradition. All this goes to show that I did actually watch it, while doing other things - the whole shooting match from the pre-service concert with yer wumman in that lemon-