Skip to main content

Finished with Heresy

A few weeks back an update appeared on my facebook page announcing that I was reading heresy. This didn't surprise many people.
However, this was actually an automated post via goodreads marking the fact that I had begun reading "Heresy" by S.J. Parris. This had been recommended to me for my Kindle by Amazon probably because of my previous purchase of C.J. Sansom's "Shardlake" novels. There are similarities beyond the format of the authors' names. Both are historical detective stories set against the background of the not-so-merrie England of the reformation era. Sansom's novels are set in the reign of Henry VIII, while this one takes place against the background of the reign of Henry's second, Protestant, daughter, Elizabeth. Both weave their way through the politico-religious world of their day, but whilst there is a depth to the picture painted in Sansom's novels, this one really reads like Shardlake-lite. Even the central character, the excommunicate priest, philosopher, scientist Giordano Bruno, is slightly one-dimensional, despite being based upon a real true renaissance-man. Here is painted as a premature child of the Enlightenment... indeed almost as a prophet, if not patron saint of post-enlightenment scientific secularism, but this is both to raise Bruno to a position he would probably be unconfortable with and to do a disservice to the man, who seems to be a much more complex individual. There is some sense of this anachronistic secularist scepticism, if not atheism, in the character of Matthew Shardlake, but it is not so pronounced, and not all the religious characters are as irredeemably evil, self-seeking or simple-minded as seems to be the case in the world inhabited by Mr. Bruno. The years around the reformation were not exactly the time when Christianity showed itself in its finest light, especially not where the different factions allied themselves with political powers, but there must have been a few righteous believers. You would almost think that this was written by Richard Dawkins under a pseudonym.
I don't look to my leisure reading for "Christian" content, but I also don't particularly want unadulterated anti-Christian polemic. That, combined with the fact that the characters are not so well drawn, nor is the background as richly textured as in the Shardlake stories, and the story drags in places (before accelerating to breakneck speed in the final few chapters), although Sansom could also be accused of that at times, means that I won't be rushing to get the next one - though it might put the time in until another Shardlake story appears.
Shalom

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LentArt: Washing the Disciples' Feet

Today's #LentArt post is "The washing of the disciples' feet" by Ghislaine Howard, another piece from the wonderful Methodist Modern Art Collection. It has clearly struck a chord with a number of people, and I am delighted that tonight's guest blog is by my friend and fellow 4 Corners Director, Father Martin Magill, who, he will be embarrassed to have me say, is for me the epitome of a servant leader. Indeed it was interesting to have a friend and artist respond to my earlier post saying that this time last year she remembers having her feet washed by Martin... How much has changed in a year: This painting (completed in 2004) was inspired by these words from the gospel of John in today's lectionary:  Jesus knew that the Father had delivered all things into His hands, and that He had come from God and was returning to God. So He got up from the supper, laid aside His outer garments, and wrapped a towel around His waist. After that, He poured water ...

Living under the Empire... (2) Where is Babylon?

We were driving back from school last week, talking about books that we had been reading and my younger son, Ciaran, asked me "Where is Babylon?" I have to confess that my history is better than my geography, and I said that it no longer exists as an inhabited city, but its ruins were to the north west of the current capital of Iraq, Baghdad. When I checked however, I discovered that it is actually about 50 miles south of Baghdad and the modern town is the administrative centre of the province of Babil... But just as the modern city is but a shadow of the historic capital of 2 ancient empires, first under Hammurabi in the 18th century BCE and then the "Neo-Babylonian" empire (under Nebuchadnezzar etc) in the 6th century BCE, so the earthly Babylonian empire/s was/were fleeting in comparison to the enduring metaphorical idea of Babylon. The original Empire under Hammurabi was probably the ultimate origin of some of the early Biblical stories, including the ...

A Woman of no Distinction

Don't often post other people's stuff here... But I found this so powerful that I thought I should. It's a performance poem based on John 4: 4-30, and I have attached the original YouTube video below. A word for women, and men, everywhere... "to be known is to be loved, and to be loved is to be known." I am a woman of no distinction of little importance. I am a women of no reputation save that which is bad. You whisper as I pass by and cast judgmental glances, Though you don’t really take the time to look at me, Or even get to know me. For to be known is to be loved, And to be loved is to be known. Otherwise what’s the point in doing either one of them in the first place? I WANT TO BE KNOWN. I want someone to look at my face And not just see two eyes, a nose, a mouth and two ears; But to see all that I am, and could be all my hopes, loves and fears. But that’s too much to hope for, to wish for, or pray for So I don’t, not anymore. Now I keep to myself And by that ...