Skip to main content

Thinking about Arachnophobia

Are you and arachnophobe? The irrational fear of spiders which is believed to affect as many as half of women and girls, and up to one in six males?
Our church building seems to host a range of quite large spiders, especially during the autumn season, and our congregation seems to include more than its fair share of confirmed arachnophobes, because when one of our eight-legged residents marches down the aisle during a service I see people scattering in all directions. Last week I read about a study of arachnophobes, which found that the worse their condition the larger they estimated the size of spiders they were shown. And while it may seem ridiculous to those of us who aren’t reduced to jibbering wrecks by an 8 legged creepy crawly, I'm sure that this disproportionate perception of things that we fear must apply to more than just spiders, and we’re all fearful of something or other, to a greater or lesser extent… with me it’s dogs, needles and tax returns!
All fears have some sort of logic behind them... spiders (particularly for our Australian cousins) can be dangerous, although not the British varieties... The difficulty is when those fears get out of proportion or cause distorted perceptions of reality.
And the the fact that we all fear something or are afraid at some time or other, may go some way to explain why the command “Do not fear!” is the most common command in the Bible… Now a lot of crackpot theology and dangerous pastoral teaching has been appended to this fact. Last year, whilst coming out of a period of prolonged, chronic anxiety, I remember getting particularly tetchy with a member of my congregation who quoted from one book where worry and anxiety were described as "respectible sins". I actually believe that God/Jesus repeatedly tells people not to fear because fear is simply a function of living in a fallen world. In itself it is not a sin (respectable or not), but as the speaker at our Thinking Day Service, Jenny Lily said (after I had completed the first draft of this) we need to remember that:
"Our God is bigger and stronger than all my worries and fears." 
Actually at one of our Thinking Day Services a few years ago we sang the following children's song by Ishmael:
I ONCE WAS FRIGHTENED OF SPIDERS
I once was frightened of the dark
I once was frightened by many, many things
Especially things that barked
But now I'm asking Jesus
To help these fears to go
'Cause I don't want them to be part of me
No, no, no, no, no
When we realise that the God who tells us not to be afraid is bigger than all possible fears and phobias, worries and anxieties, it might not make them go forever, but it might help to get them into a proper perspective…

So in the words God said to Joshua and the people of Israel…
“Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go.”
(Joshua 1: 9)

Shalom
 
This is an extended version of the Just a Moment that I recorded for broadcast on Downtown Radio this morning.
Ian Smale

Comments

Di's Drivel said…
I'll be able to drop round with Poppy then!

Popular posts from this blog

LentArt: Washing the Disciples' Feet

Today's #LentArt post is "The washing of the disciples' feet" by Ghislaine Howard, another piece from the wonderful Methodist Modern Art Collection. It has clearly struck a chord with a number of people, and I am delighted that tonight's guest blog is by my friend and fellow 4 Corners Director, Father Martin Magill, who, he will be embarrassed to have me say, is for me the epitome of a servant leader. Indeed it was interesting to have a friend and artist respond to my earlier post saying that this time last year she remembers having her feet washed by Martin... How much has changed in a year: This painting (completed in 2004) was inspired by these words from the gospel of John in today's lectionary:  Jesus knew that the Father had delivered all things into His hands, and that He had come from God and was returning to God. So He got up from the supper, laid aside His outer garments, and wrapped a towel around His waist. After that, He poured water ...

Living under the Empire... (2) Where is Babylon?

We were driving back from school last week, talking about books that we had been reading and my younger son, Ciaran, asked me "Where is Babylon?" I have to confess that my history is better than my geography, and I said that it no longer exists as an inhabited city, but its ruins were to the north west of the current capital of Iraq, Baghdad. When I checked however, I discovered that it is actually about 50 miles south of Baghdad and the modern town is the administrative centre of the province of Babil... But just as the modern city is but a shadow of the historic capital of 2 ancient empires, first under Hammurabi in the 18th century BCE and then the "Neo-Babylonian" empire (under Nebuchadnezzar etc) in the 6th century BCE, so the earthly Babylonian empire/s was/were fleeting in comparison to the enduring metaphorical idea of Babylon. The original Empire under Hammurabi was probably the ultimate origin of some of the early Biblical stories, including the ...

A Woman of no Distinction

Don't often post other people's stuff here... But I found this so powerful that I thought I should. It's a performance poem based on John 4: 4-30, and I have attached the original YouTube video below. A word for women, and men, everywhere... "to be known is to be loved, and to be loved is to be known." I am a woman of no distinction of little importance. I am a women of no reputation save that which is bad. You whisper as I pass by and cast judgmental glances, Though you don’t really take the time to look at me, Or even get to know me. For to be known is to be loved, And to be loved is to be known. Otherwise what’s the point in doing either one of them in the first place? I WANT TO BE KNOWN. I want someone to look at my face And not just see two eyes, a nose, a mouth and two ears; But to see all that I am, and could be all my hopes, loves and fears. But that’s too much to hope for, to wish for, or pray for So I don’t, not anymore. Now I keep to myself And by that ...