Skip to main content

Advent Candle Liturgy 4: Love

Number 4... The week beloved of all Two Ronnies Fans and the "Four candles" sketch... Indeed I laughed and reposted this picture earlier in the month... But I am reminded again this morning, as I head down the Ards Peninsula for the rehearsal of a wedding in my former church at Glastry, that the love we mark with the lighting of this candle is not a "candlelit dinner, chocolates and roses" type of romantic love, but a sacrificial, messy, vulnerable love, that was reflected first in a baby born in a byre, swaddled in cloths to cover his newborn nakedness, and ultimately revealed in the brutal death of an innocent young man, stripped naked and nailed to a cross...

Over the past three weeks we have lit three candles—for hope, for peace, and for joy. Today we light the fourth candle - the candle of love.
With this flame we signify the love of God that reaches out to embrace us and all the world. A love that is stronger than kings and empires, stronger than grief or despair, stronger even than death. We love, because God first loved us.
The prophet Jeremiah wrote in the Book of Lamentations:
Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed,
for his compassions never fail.
They are new every morning;
great is your faithfulness.
I say to myself, "The Lord is my portion; therefore I will wait for him."
Lamentations 3:22-24 (ANIV)
 (Four candles are lit as the congregation sings the following verse and chorus of "O Come, O come Emmanuel")

O come, O come, great Lord of might, 
Who once appeared on Sinai's height, 
end down your blessings from above, 
Surround us always by your love. 
Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel 
Shall come to thee, O Israel.
Latin 13th century translated by John M Neale (1818-1866) adapted

Prayer
Loving God, while we wait for you this advent season and as these candles are lit,
May your illuminate our imaginations with a glimpse of your glory.
We pray that you may reveal to us the healing power of hope,
Embed within us that peace that is much more than the absence of conflict
Fill us to overflowing with that joy that cannot be contained,
And implant within us your life-giving love.
Place your heart within us,
That we may love you with our all, love our neighbours as we love ourselves,
and love one another as sacrificially as you have loved us.
Our hope is in you alone O Lord,
For in your unfailing love is our salvation.
AMEN.

Benediction (for the end of the service)
We began this service reflecting on the unfailing love of the Lord:
May we go from this place to live in the light of that love,
Knowing the hope, peace and joy that it brings.
God so loved the world that he gave his only son,
That whoever believed in him should not perish but have eternal life.
And the good news of Advent is this:
The Son of God is coming.
AMEN. Come Lord Jesus

Shalom

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LentArt: Washing the Disciples' Feet

Today's #LentArt post is "The washing of the disciples' feet" by Ghislaine Howard, another piece from the wonderful Methodist Modern Art Collection. It has clearly struck a chord with a number of people, and I am delighted that tonight's guest blog is by my friend and fellow 4 Corners Director, Father Martin Magill, who, he will be embarrassed to have me say, is for me the epitome of a servant leader. Indeed it was interesting to have a friend and artist respond to my earlier post saying that this time last year she remembers having her feet washed by Martin... How much has changed in a year: This painting (completed in 2004) was inspired by these words from the gospel of John in today's lectionary:  Jesus knew that the Father had delivered all things into His hands, and that He had come from God and was returning to God. So He got up from the supper, laid aside His outer garments, and wrapped a towel around His waist. After that, He poured water ...

Living under the Empire... (2) Where is Babylon?

We were driving back from school last week, talking about books that we had been reading and my younger son, Ciaran, asked me "Where is Babylon?" I have to confess that my history is better than my geography, and I said that it no longer exists as an inhabited city, but its ruins were to the north west of the current capital of Iraq, Baghdad. When I checked however, I discovered that it is actually about 50 miles south of Baghdad and the modern town is the administrative centre of the province of Babil... But just as the modern city is but a shadow of the historic capital of 2 ancient empires, first under Hammurabi in the 18th century BCE and then the "Neo-Babylonian" empire (under Nebuchadnezzar etc) in the 6th century BCE, so the earthly Babylonian empire/s was/were fleeting in comparison to the enduring metaphorical idea of Babylon. The original Empire under Hammurabi was probably the ultimate origin of some of the early Biblical stories, including the ...

A Woman of no Distinction

Don't often post other people's stuff here... But I found this so powerful that I thought I should. It's a performance poem based on John 4: 4-30, and I have attached the original YouTube video below. A word for women, and men, everywhere... "to be known is to be loved, and to be loved is to be known." I am a woman of no distinction of little importance. I am a women of no reputation save that which is bad. You whisper as I pass by and cast judgmental glances, Though you don’t really take the time to look at me, Or even get to know me. For to be known is to be loved, And to be loved is to be known. Otherwise what’s the point in doing either one of them in the first place? I WANT TO BE KNOWN. I want someone to look at my face And not just see two eyes, a nose, a mouth and two ears; But to see all that I am, and could be all my hopes, loves and fears. But that’s too much to hope for, to wish for, or pray for So I don’t, not anymore. Now I keep to myself And by that ...