Skip to main content

Pancake Tuesday and the Methodist Machine

Today is Pancake Tuesday, one of my son Ciaran's favourite days in the year, when we make pancakes together for the rest of the family. It is our wee tradition, underpinned by the wider tradition of the church. But I don't think we will be using the Heath Robinson device in this picture.
However it did remind me of the passage in "The Contemplative Pastor" where Peterson in his exploration of the "recovery" of the "forgotten heart" of pastoral ministry, that is "the cure of souls", refers to the protestant reformation saying:
"The Reformers recovered the biblical doctrine of justification by faith. The gospel proclamation, fresh and personal and direct, through the centuries had become an immense, lumbering Rube Goldberg mechanism; elaborately contrived ecclesiastical gears, pulleys and levers rumbled and creaked importantly but ended up doing something completely trivial."
Rube Goldberg and Heath Robinson were doing similar things on opposite sides of the Atlantic, drawing not just quirky cartoons but commenting on the unnecessary technological complexity of modern society... And as I read Peterson's damning indictment of  the theology and ecclesiology of the medieval Catholic church, I see a dangerous tendency to be found in all churches, and institutions in general, across all ages. But I believe it matters more in the church because we claim to be so much more than a simple human institution and believe that what we are about is not, ultimately trivial...
However, there are aspects of ecclesiastical structures that are not only arcane but totally and utterly unfit for purpose... Huge amounts of time, energy, paper and money go into doing things that ultimately not only result in benign trivialities (which would be bad enough), but can be clearly malignant, inhumane and working-counter to the purposes of God... Yes, God can (and thankfully does) overcome that, but wouldn't things be better if we weren't trying to push soup up a hill with a fork!? 
Often these things are justified by cries of "tradition", or fenced around with fears about the law of unintended consequences. There have in Methodism, for example been unintended consequences in the Connexions process where there was a reduction in size of leaders/quarterly meetings to form Church Councils/Circuit Executives, have lead to a communication deficit with the wider congregation/circuit.
This is always a danger if you set about dismantling, or simplifying a Rube Goldberg/Heath Robinson device... it may stop working altogether... far easier that you add in something rather than mess with what is there. Another layer of administration... extra legislation or guidelines to cover a possible eventuality... Responding to horses bolting by bricking up the doorway and adding a skylight by which you can extract horses in future by hiring a huge crane.
But as the machinery of church gets bigger and more unwieldy it becomes more expensive to maintain both in terms of cold hard cash, as well as the faith and general well-being of those ministers and laypeople who have to maintain them... There is a danger of it becoming a huge inhumane mincing machine... Like the mechanical behemoths of the industrial revolution which frequently mangled the young urchins who had to crawl under them to reset bobbins or flywheels or whatever... Indeed it is sometimes the children of ministers and laypeople serving the church who pay the highest price in this process, as they are deprived of the time and attention of parents or, in the case of our own Methodist "stationing" system are regularly uprooted from school and friends for the sake of the great god of itinerancy.
Itinerancy and the year by year stationing process that underpins it is one of the Irish Methodist Heath Robinson devices defended in with that word, tradition... So I would argue is the existence and role of Districts and Synods... the structure of selection, accountability and support (or lack of) for ministers... As anyone knows I COULD go on, but I won't... Things have improved to a certain extent on all these fronts during the course of my ministry, but far too often it has been at the cost of more meetings, forms to fill in, and uncertainty, because new systems have been superimposed on old structures unfit to support them.
From conversations with friends in other denominations I can see common themes, and often I am glad that Methodism is the particular machine I am caught up in (there was a discussion on the current crisis regarding ministry in the Catholic Church in Ireland on Radio Ulster's Sunday Sequence this week that made me mightily glad that I am not a priest in that tradition).
I apologise to those who have no knowledge of or interest in the inner workings of the Methodist Church in Ireland... neither do I generally... The Manual of Laws that I received on ordination is only rarely opened...  But this post has been sparked not only the above cartoon and the quote from Peterson, but by
  1. the fact that I have been caught up unexpectedly in the merry-go-round of stationing and have had to try and explain the why's and wherefore's of it to my sons, and especially to my younger son Ciaran who it will affect most radically this time, and 
  2. in preparation for a more wide ranging conversation on the future of the church at conference this year I and other members of the Methodist Church have been asked to complete an online questionaire on the direction that the church should be taking... However, as I have said elsewhere, I firmly believe that any answers that can be contained within a 4 cm by 2 cm box or a choice of 5 options to tick probably aren't going to reveal much... But it's a start... let's hope it's not the start of another Byzantine process that ultimately produces very trivial results...
In the meantime, I'm going to crack some eggs and spend some quality time with Ciaran in our Pancake Tuesday tradition... The day for even that tradition will pass, but until then I'll get on with it, and hope that such memories help Ciaran to cope with the joys and sorrows of being a Methodist minister's kid...

Shalom

Comments

Cynthia Astle said…
Dear Rev. Campton: United Methodist Insight, http://um-insight.net, would like to reprint this excellent post. I hope it will expand our readers' horizons to know that Methodists "across the pond" struggle with some of the same issues we do in the USA. Please reply to one.scribe56@gmail.com. Thank you.

Popular posts from this blog

A Woman of no Distinction

Don't often post other people's stuff here... But I found this so powerful that I thought I should. It's a performance poem based on John 4: 4-30, and I have attached the original YouTube video below. A word for women, and men, everywhere... "to be known is to be loved, and to be loved is to be known." I am a woman of no distinction of little importance. I am a women of no reputation save that which is bad. You whisper as I pass by and cast judgmental glances, Though you don’t really take the time to look at me, Or even get to know me. For to be known is to be loved, And to be loved is to be known. Otherwise what’s the point in doing either one of them in the first place? I WANT TO BE KNOWN. I want someone to look at my face And not just see two eyes, a nose, a mouth and two ears; But to see all that I am, and could be all my hopes, loves and fears. But that’s too much to hope for, to wish for, or pray for So I don’t, not anymore. Now I keep to myself And by that

Psalm for Harvest Sunday

A short responsive psalm for us as a call to worship on Harvest Thanksgiving Sunday, and given that it was pouring with rain as I headed into church this morning the first line is an important remembrance that the rain we moan about is an important component of the fruitfulness of the land we live in: You tend the land and water it And the earth produces its abundance. You crown each year with your bounty, and our storehouses overflow with your goodness. The mountain meadows are covered with flocks and the valleys are filled with corn; Your people celebrate your boundless grace They shout for joy and sing. from Psalm 65

Anointed

There has been a lot of chatter on social media among some of my colleagues and others about the liturgical and socio-political niceties of Saturday's coronation and attendant festivities, especially the shielding of the anointing with the pictured spoon - the oldest and perhaps strangest of the coronation artefacts. Personally I thought that was at least an improvement on the cloth of gold canopy used in the previous coronation, but (pointless) debates are raging as to whether this is an ancient practice or was simply introduced in the previous service to shield the Queen from the TV cameras, not for purposes of sacredness, but understandable coyness, if she actually had to bare her breast bone in puritan 1950s Britain. But as any church leader knows, anything performed twice in a church becomes a tradition. All this goes to show that I did actually watch it, while doing other things - the whole shooting match from the pre-service concert with yer wumman in that lemon-