Skip to main content

Do We Measure People by their IQ, Bust Size or Bank Balance?

Well, I'm back in harness this week after a short period of aestivation, both in the real and virtual realms. This morning saw me start the day at BBC Radio Ulster doing Thought for the Day (if you didn't catch it you can find it approximately 26 and 86 minutes into Good Morning Ulster on the iPlayer for the next week) and this is that thought, more or less in written form...

I’m not very athletic… I can’t play a musical instrument… I’m useless at arts and crafts… and I’m never going to be offered a modelling contract… But I am supposed to be moderately intelligent, if IQ tests and exam results are to be believed…

So I was interested to read a report last week suggesting that religious people, tend to be less intelligent than self-professed atheists. This led to some crowing by atheists on social networks, although the study emphasised that it probably wasn’t a simple case of cause and effect. Rather, as well as asking more searching questions than those who are less intelligent, those with higher IQs tend to succeed in life, becoming materially wealthy, while other studies have shown that individuals and societies that are better off tend to become less religious with time, due to a sense of self-sufficiency, whereas poorer people continue to profess belief in and dependency on God…

However, it didn’t take recent studies to note this… Jesus suggested that we cannot serve God and money… While in terms of intelligence Paul reminded the church in Corinth that not many of them were wise by human standards…

There are however other standards to measure wisdom. It was one of my psychology professors who used to remind us that intelligence tests measure IQ, not actual intelligence – never mind real wisdom… And if that is true of intelligence tests, how much more true is it in relation to exams.

Last week we had the usual circus around A level and AS results, with some students elated and others devastated… This week younger students will go through the same hoopla over GCSE results. But exams results are not the be all and end all of life… That has been proved repeatedly by those who have not done well at school but have excelled in other spheres of life…

But again, there are dangers in how the world measures success… In an image and celebrity obsessed society, there are those who go to the other extreme thinking that intelligence and education don’t matter, so long as you look fabulous or are famous…

And of course the world’s ultimate measure of success is how you turn your assets, be they intellectual or physical, into cold hard cash…

But, drawing on Martin Luther King’s most famous speech (which he delivered 50 years ago next week I think), I too have a dream that all our children will one day live in a world where they will not be judged by their qualifications or IQ, their appearance or their wealth, but by the content of their character. How they use whatever gifts they have been blessed with, to bless others…

Shalom

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Woman of no Distinction

Don't often post other people's stuff here... But I found this so powerful that I thought I should. It's a performance poem based on John 4: 4-30, and I have attached the original YouTube video below. A word for women, and men, everywhere... "to be known is to be loved, and to be loved is to be known." I am a woman of no distinction of little importance. I am a women of no reputation save that which is bad. You whisper as I pass by and cast judgmental glances, Though you don’t really take the time to look at me, Or even get to know me. For to be known is to be loved, And to be loved is to be known. Otherwise what’s the point in doing either one of them in the first place? I WANT TO BE KNOWN. I want someone to look at my face And not just see two eyes, a nose, a mouth and two ears; But to see all that I am, and could be all my hopes, loves and fears. But that’s too much to hope for, to wish for, or pray for So I don’t, not anymore. Now I keep to myself And by that

Psalm for Harvest Sunday

A short responsive psalm for us as a call to worship on Harvest Thanksgiving Sunday, and given that it was pouring with rain as I headed into church this morning the first line is an important remembrance that the rain we moan about is an important component of the fruitfulness of the land we live in: You tend the land and water it And the earth produces its abundance. You crown each year with your bounty, and our storehouses overflow with your goodness. The mountain meadows are covered with flocks and the valleys are filled with corn; Your people celebrate your boundless grace They shout for joy and sing. from Psalm 65

Anointed

There has been a lot of chatter on social media among some of my colleagues and others about the liturgical and socio-political niceties of Saturday's coronation and attendant festivities, especially the shielding of the anointing with the pictured spoon - the oldest and perhaps strangest of the coronation artefacts. Personally I thought that was at least an improvement on the cloth of gold canopy used in the previous coronation, but (pointless) debates are raging as to whether this is an ancient practice or was simply introduced in the previous service to shield the Queen from the TV cameras, not for purposes of sacredness, but understandable coyness, if she actually had to bare her breast bone in puritan 1950s Britain. But as any church leader knows, anything performed twice in a church becomes a tradition. All this goes to show that I did actually watch it, while doing other things - the whole shooting match from the pre-service concert with yer wumman in that lemon-