Skip to main content

Getting Angry with Jesus

Last week I shouted at Jesus...
It wasn't some sort of pious lament or in a dramatic "Two Cathedrals" way (if you don't understand I can't explain)...
I simply, in a moment of exasperation, blew my top at Jesus in one of his "distressing disguises" to use one of Mother Teresa's phrases...
I have all sorts of excuses... I was beyond busy... I was tired... My blood sugars were all over the place... I was concerned about the "big things" in society, and was trying to organise a meeting to play a small part in addressing them... On the way into work I had taken a phone call about a serious pastoral issue concerning a member of the congregation. I had just come out of speaking at a meeting after dealing with a difficult staff issue that had been building up for months... And I still had to prepare for another potentially problematic meeting that night...
And then someone whom I and others have been trying to help for some time, came to me with a fairly pressing problem... He's a guy with a range of issues and he doesn't help himself at times... He has annoyed more than a few of my church members, and leaves a trail of devastation in his wake.
But this problem was serious... So I swung into mini-messiah-mode and phoned someone who might be able to help... they couldn't but put me through to someone else... who again couldn't help but eventually, after about 30 minutes, put me through to the person who could... At each step of the way I had to get the person who had asked for help in the first place to confirm their identity and a few personal details... But they have a learned, and somewhat justified wariness of those in authority, and so each time they were less and less willing to part with the same information, until the final time they refused until, before I could wrestle the phone out of their hands, the person at the other end of the line hung up...
That is when I shouted at him...
In front of a number of other bewildered bystanders...
This person who feels that others look down on him (because most do)...
This person who had to swallow their pride and admit their need in coming for help in the first place...
This person who was made in the image of God...
I shouted at...
No, I didn't shout... I raised my voice, but at a level that most normal people would think of as shouting... 
A few days before I had preached on Matthew 25 where Jesus tells us a story about him separating people into two camps at the end of time, like a shepherd separating sheep from goats and telling the "sheep" that whatever we do for the hungry, the thirsty, the stranger, the naked, the sick and the prisoner we do for him... But I was either deaf to my own sermon, or had pretended that just because the person I was dealing with wasn't explicitly described in this list he didn't count...
But he does count... in God's eyes...
It took a colleague to preach on the same passage again this past Sunday to realise, with horror what I had done...
I felt like a goat... 
The theory is easy, but when Jesus is actually in front of you in human form, sometimes you forget... And treat him the way you would treat anyone else... Or, as in this case, worse than I would treat anyone else...
Often it won't involve shouting at him... but ignoring him... avoiding him... complaining about him... or her...
It's too easy...
So I apologised to Jesus...
First in prayer...
Then yesterday in person to him, in his distressing disguise...
And in his grace he forgave me...

Now I am angry at a system that can make this man's life so difficult...
Selah

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Woman of no Distinction

Don't often post other people's stuff here... But I found this so powerful that I thought I should. It's a performance poem based on John 4: 4-30, and I have attached the original YouTube video below. A word for women, and men, everywhere... "to be known is to be loved, and to be loved is to be known." I am a woman of no distinction of little importance. I am a women of no reputation save that which is bad. You whisper as I pass by and cast judgmental glances, Though you don’t really take the time to look at me, Or even get to know me. For to be known is to be loved, And to be loved is to be known. Otherwise what’s the point in doing either one of them in the first place? I WANT TO BE KNOWN. I want someone to look at my face And not just see two eyes, a nose, a mouth and two ears; But to see all that I am, and could be all my hopes, loves and fears. But that’s too much to hope for, to wish for, or pray for So I don’t, not anymore. Now I keep to myself And by that

Psalm for Harvest Sunday

A short responsive psalm for us as a call to worship on Harvest Thanksgiving Sunday, and given that it was pouring with rain as I headed into church this morning the first line is an important remembrance that the rain we moan about is an important component of the fruitfulness of the land we live in: You tend the land and water it And the earth produces its abundance. You crown each year with your bounty, and our storehouses overflow with your goodness. The mountain meadows are covered with flocks and the valleys are filled with corn; Your people celebrate your boundless grace They shout for joy and sing. from Psalm 65

Anointed

There has been a lot of chatter on social media among some of my colleagues and others about the liturgical and socio-political niceties of Saturday's coronation and attendant festivities, especially the shielding of the anointing with the pictured spoon - the oldest and perhaps strangest of the coronation artefacts. Personally I thought that was at least an improvement on the cloth of gold canopy used in the previous coronation, but (pointless) debates are raging as to whether this is an ancient practice or was simply introduced in the previous service to shield the Queen from the TV cameras, not for purposes of sacredness, but understandable coyness, if she actually had to bare her breast bone in puritan 1950s Britain. But as any church leader knows, anything performed twice in a church becomes a tradition. All this goes to show that I did actually watch it, while doing other things - the whole shooting match from the pre-service concert with yer wumman in that lemon-