Skip to main content

Homeless

I have really enjoyed my first visit to the NW of the USA and am currently in Portland, Oregon, but the big shock is the level of homelessness here and in Seattle, Washington. It is a feature of every street in both city centres and is heartbreaking. Whilst this issue is increasing back in Belfast, for various reasons, it is a minuscule problem in comparison with what we have seen here. However, 12 years ago I made the same comments about food poverty here in the US in comparison with the UK in the light of the number of food banks I saw here on a fact finding tour. I fear that like much of popular culture crossing the Atlantic, the more our political masters mimic US tax and welfare policies (which can only increase in the wake of a no-deal Brexit) then I fear we will also import this aspect of American culture too.

Sleep in the daytime
Beneath the view of passers-by:
Priest, pastor, layperson and typically
uncaring contemporary Samaritan.
Sleep, because nightime is coming.

Sleep in the summer
Spoiling the streets for foreigners
Clutching guide books and mobile phones
Seeking but ignoring the real city.
Sleep, because winter is coming.

Sleep away the hunger.
Walk away the cold.
Self-medicate the voices
and the pain away.
Condemned for your choices
When the choices of others
Have condemned you to a kerbside,
Have robbed you of a roof,
Health,
Dignity,
Humanity.
Where is the humanity
That allows such indignity?
Your worldly possessions
Crammed into a shopping cart
Designed for people to take home
More than they need.
While what you need
Is somewhere to call home.

Selah

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LentArt: Washing the Disciples' Feet

Today's #LentArt post is "The washing of the disciples' feet" by Ghislaine Howard, another piece from the wonderful Methodist Modern Art Collection. It has clearly struck a chord with a number of people, and I am delighted that tonight's guest blog is by my friend and fellow 4 Corners Director, Father Martin Magill, who, he will be embarrassed to have me say, is for me the epitome of a servant leader. Indeed it was interesting to have a friend and artist respond to my earlier post saying that this time last year she remembers having her feet washed by Martin... How much has changed in a year: This painting (completed in 2004) was inspired by these words from the gospel of John in today's lectionary:  Jesus knew that the Father had delivered all things into His hands, and that He had come from God and was returning to God. So He got up from the supper, laid aside His outer garments, and wrapped a towel around His waist. After that, He poured water ...

Living under the Empire... (2) Where is Babylon?

We were driving back from school last week, talking about books that we had been reading and my younger son, Ciaran, asked me "Where is Babylon?" I have to confess that my history is better than my geography, and I said that it no longer exists as an inhabited city, but its ruins were to the north west of the current capital of Iraq, Baghdad. When I checked however, I discovered that it is actually about 50 miles south of Baghdad and the modern town is the administrative centre of the province of Babil... But just as the modern city is but a shadow of the historic capital of 2 ancient empires, first under Hammurabi in the 18th century BCE and then the "Neo-Babylonian" empire (under Nebuchadnezzar etc) in the 6th century BCE, so the earthly Babylonian empire/s was/were fleeting in comparison to the enduring metaphorical idea of Babylon. The original Empire under Hammurabi was probably the ultimate origin of some of the early Biblical stories, including the ...

A Woman of no Distinction

Don't often post other people's stuff here... But I found this so powerful that I thought I should. It's a performance poem based on John 4: 4-30, and I have attached the original YouTube video below. A word for women, and men, everywhere... "to be known is to be loved, and to be loved is to be known." I am a woman of no distinction of little importance. I am a women of no reputation save that which is bad. You whisper as I pass by and cast judgmental glances, Though you don’t really take the time to look at me, Or even get to know me. For to be known is to be loved, And to be loved is to be known. Otherwise what’s the point in doing either one of them in the first place? I WANT TO BE KNOWN. I want someone to look at my face And not just see two eyes, a nose, a mouth and two ears; But to see all that I am, and could be all my hopes, loves and fears. But that’s too much to hope for, to wish for, or pray for So I don’t, not anymore. Now I keep to myself And by that ...