Skip to main content

Offensive Shadows

“If we shadows have offended...”

The introduction to Puck's closing speech in "A Midsummer Night's Dream", and I am sure they did. Any Shakespeare purists, extreme prudes or those wedded to a patriarchal view of society, must have been hugely offended by Nicholas Hytner’s production at the Bridge Theatre in London, which I saw at the QFT last night as part of the National Theatre Live Screening programme (although this one was recorded)... He messed with the text, with the romantic relationships and with people’s heads... And I loved it. It was one of the best Shakespeare productions I have ever seen... It was a head on collision of punk burlesque and contemporary patriarchal puritanism... unapologetically blending Peter Brook’s iconic 1970’s Dream, with Margaret Atwood’s “Handmaid’s Tale” and a little bit of Dizzy Rascal... This Dream came to be in a series of beds flying in and out of a wonderfully designed, in the round/promenade/immersive performance.

The doubling up of Theseus/Oberon and Hippolyta/Titania combined with the almost wholesale swapping of Oberon’s and Titania’s lines, created an entirely fresh look at the dynamic of the play. In the recent RSC production that employed local mechanicals, I said that there wasn’t enough darkness... The problem with many other productions is that they either emphasise the darkness to the extent that it is no longer a comedy or they ignore the gender power dynamics that no longer work in the modern western world, resulting in productions that are more than a little creepy. There may be those who would object to Oberon falling for Bottom as an ass because of the homosexual overtones (lets forget about the bestiality) but have no problems with the rohypnol-like induction of Titania falling for Bottom as an ass. There are times in recent years where I have felt as uncomfortable with this aspect of one of my favourite plays, as I do with the misogyny of the Taming of the Shrew or the anti-semitism of the Merchant of Venice. Intelligent productions can subvert those issues in those latter two plays, this production cleverly addresses the glaring problem in the midst of the Dream, and indeed uses it to address the dodgy dynamic between Theseus and Hippolyta, and Egeus and his daughter Hermia at the beginning of the play. In doing so Hytner shines a light on the ridiculous and pickle nature of romantic love/lust without being cynical.

These “live” screenings can be a bit hit and miss... At best like the previous immersive production of Julius Caesar at the Bridge, or the recent “Lehman Trilogy” it gives us provincials a chance to see superlative theatre at a reasonable price. At worst, like the recent “Merry Wives of Windsor” where I slept through the first half, it is milking it... But this production is in a different class... Despite it being on screen it reminded me why I love going to and participating in theatre... In fact at times in it I felt jealous of the live audience, the actors and the director... I would love to have been there (I’m already checking to see if I can squeeze in a cheeky trip before the end of November!), but even more to have been on that stage, or have had the artistic vision to come up with what is, in my view, a Shakespeare play for this generation... 
My cheeks are still sore from smiling... given the state of the world they haven’t had much exercise recently... If you can get a ticket for this in London grab it with both hands... If it comes back to the cinema again, don’t miss it... unless you are one of those in the categories that are likely to be offended...

Cheers

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Woman of no Distinction

Don't often post other people's stuff here... But I found this so powerful that I thought I should. It's a performance poem based on John 4: 4-30, and I have attached the original YouTube video below. A word for women, and men, everywhere... "to be known is to be loved, and to be loved is to be known." I am a woman of no distinction of little importance. I am a women of no reputation save that which is bad. You whisper as I pass by and cast judgmental glances, Though you don’t really take the time to look at me, Or even get to know me. For to be known is to be loved, And to be loved is to be known. Otherwise what’s the point in doing either one of them in the first place? I WANT TO BE KNOWN. I want someone to look at my face And not just see two eyes, a nose, a mouth and two ears; But to see all that I am, and could be all my hopes, loves and fears. But that’s too much to hope for, to wish for, or pray for So I don’t, not anymore. Now I keep to myself And by that

Psalm for Harvest Sunday

A short responsive psalm for us as a call to worship on Harvest Thanksgiving Sunday, and given that it was pouring with rain as I headed into church this morning the first line is an important remembrance that the rain we moan about is an important component of the fruitfulness of the land we live in: You tend the land and water it And the earth produces its abundance. You crown each year with your bounty, and our storehouses overflow with your goodness. The mountain meadows are covered with flocks and the valleys are filled with corn; Your people celebrate your boundless grace They shout for joy and sing. from Psalm 65

Living under the Empire... (2) Where is Babylon?

We were driving back from school last week, talking about books that we had been reading and my younger son, Ciaran, asked me "Where is Babylon?" I have to confess that my history is better than my geography, and I said that it no longer exists as an inhabited city, but its ruins were to the north west of the current capital of Iraq, Baghdad. When I checked however, I discovered that it is actually about 50 miles south of Baghdad and the modern town is the administrative centre of the province of Babil... But just as the modern city is but a shadow of the historic capital of 2 ancient empires, first under Hammurabi in the 18th century BCE and then the "Neo-Babylonian" empire (under Nebuchadnezzar etc) in the 6th century BCE, so the earthly Babylonian empire/s was/were fleeting in comparison to the enduring metaphorical idea of Babylon. The original Empire under Hammurabi was probably the ultimate origin of some of the early Biblical stories, including the &quo