Skip to main content

EasterArt: A Preposterous Prophet

Today in the Daily Lectionary my mate Jonah made another appearance and so as my #EasterArt post I shared this illustration from the Cervera Bible, a late 13th century Hebrew folio in the Lisbon Museum, illuminated by Joseph the Frenchman. I love the image, and I love the fact that the artist, who was working in Spain at the time was simply known as “Joseph the Frenchman.” 

In 2019 as part of my Sabbatical I headed off Holden Village, a Lutheran Retreat Centre in of the north Cascade Mountains in Washington State, USA, where I could easily have been referred to as David the Irishman because (for that week at least) I was in a minority of 1. I Had the honour of being invited to lecture there, and indeed, was supposed to be returning to share a second set of lectures this coming summer but Covid-19 has put paid to that. The subject of last year’s lectures was the book of Jonah, a book which I have been fascinated with for years, and I incorporated in the lectures the series of monologues which a number of my congregations and the 2004 Irish Methodist Conference have experienced in one form or other over the years. I've also posted them all here over the years...

The title of the lecture series was “Preposterous Readings of Preposterous Stories” and a couple of people have asked whether I would be willing to share them on this side of the Atlantic… Well, since I’ve got nothing better to do over the next wee while, I’m going to do a number of things: 
  1. Weather permitting, I’m going to record the original Jonah monologues as rehearsed readings tomorrow and put them up on the Circuit YouTube Channel over the next couple of nights. 
  2. Starting next Wednesday night 29th April at 7.30pm I am going to be sharing the above-mentioned “Preposterous Readings of Preposterous Stories” as a series of 7 40 minute studies followed by (after a 5 minute comfort break) the opportunity for a 40 minute Q&A facilitated by a different victim each week. This will be on the Zoom platform with the link being published on the Circuit Facebook page in advance. 
  3. Then on the Friday evening after the last of those studies (Friday 5th June) at 7.30pm I will share a rehearsed reading of a one man show/storytelling event entitled “On Joppa Shore”, allowing us to hear some of the story of Simon son of Jonah – a preposterous apostle. 
So that’s the theory… we’ll see how it all goes in practice… 

But watch out for the appearance of Jonah – the preposterous prophet in the next day or two…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Woman of no Distinction

Don't often post other people's stuff here... But I found this so powerful that I thought I should. It's a performance poem based on John 4: 4-30, and I have attached the original YouTube video below. A word for women, and men, everywhere... "to be known is to be loved, and to be loved is to be known." I am a woman of no distinction of little importance. I am a women of no reputation save that which is bad. You whisper as I pass by and cast judgmental glances, Though you don’t really take the time to look at me, Or even get to know me. For to be known is to be loved, And to be loved is to be known. Otherwise what’s the point in doing either one of them in the first place? I WANT TO BE KNOWN. I want someone to look at my face And not just see two eyes, a nose, a mouth and two ears; But to see all that I am, and could be all my hopes, loves and fears. But that’s too much to hope for, to wish for, or pray for So I don’t, not anymore. Now I keep to myself And by that

Psalm for Harvest Sunday

A short responsive psalm for us as a call to worship on Harvest Thanksgiving Sunday, and given that it was pouring with rain as I headed into church this morning the first line is an important remembrance that the rain we moan about is an important component of the fruitfulness of the land we live in: You tend the land and water it And the earth produces its abundance. You crown each year with your bounty, and our storehouses overflow with your goodness. The mountain meadows are covered with flocks and the valleys are filled with corn; Your people celebrate your boundless grace They shout for joy and sing. from Psalm 65

Living under the Empire... (2) Where is Babylon?

We were driving back from school last week, talking about books that we had been reading and my younger son, Ciaran, asked me "Where is Babylon?" I have to confess that my history is better than my geography, and I said that it no longer exists as an inhabited city, but its ruins were to the north west of the current capital of Iraq, Baghdad. When I checked however, I discovered that it is actually about 50 miles south of Baghdad and the modern town is the administrative centre of the province of Babil... But just as the modern city is but a shadow of the historic capital of 2 ancient empires, first under Hammurabi in the 18th century BCE and then the "Neo-Babylonian" empire (under Nebuchadnezzar etc) in the 6th century BCE, so the earthly Babylonian empire/s was/were fleeting in comparison to the enduring metaphorical idea of Babylon. The original Empire under Hammurabi was probably the ultimate origin of some of the early Biblical stories, including the &quo