Skip to main content

EasterArt Guest Blog: The Tambourine

As I said yesterday in my blog the post Holy Week slump has set in, so I am downing electronic tools for a few days to recharge my batteries and any evening devotionals that appear on the Circuit Facebook page will be down to colleagues and lay preachers who have volunteered to take over for a bit, with the occasional piece appearing as a guest post here on Virtual Methodist. I've always felt bad about the downing tools immediately after Easter phenomenon. I agree with N.T. Wright that in an ideal world Easter should be a longer celebration than Holy Week as we are suposed to be resurrection people. But this is not an ideal world, even less so than normal at the moment, and I need a rest. But I was delighted when I got today's guest post from the most recent member to join the circuit team. Lynn McFarland, the Lay Minister based primarily in Sandy Row Methodist. The image (which I happily posted as the second #EasterArt post this morning) and the blog reflect the sense of joy that I am sure N.T. Wright would approve of:


I was transfixed by my chosen picture "The Tambourine" by James McNeill Whistler the instant I first saw it on a trip to Glasgow. It was a small charcoal and pastel drawing and if I had not known otherwise, I would have sworn my paternal grandmother modeled for this. It was, in fact, Eva Carrington (1880-1979) I believe. The model was actually tall and statuesque while my granny was a petite birdlike wee thing. But this drawing reminded me of how I had watched Nanny doing her stretches in the kitchen as she waited for a kettle to boil or watched a pot simmer. It was the first picture that came to mind to accompany the Easter Monday lectionary reading (Mathew 28: 8-15). Particularly verse 8 where it talks about the women being “afraid yet filled with joy...” 

This drawing speaks to me of joy and even though I cannot hear the music the lady was dancing to, I am in awe of her kicking that tambourine! I keep a poor copy of this on the mirror at my front door so it can speak to me every day. It brings to life the joy of those first women whom we can read earlier in Matthew’s Gospel are “Mary Magdalene and the other Mary”. (Matthew 28:1) It also speaks to me of liberation, firstly the freedom of the model unencumbered by heavy skirts usually worn when the drawing was created. Secondly there is the freedom of the Marys. The mortal men they had served were in fear too but they were in hiding. The women had special news “He has risen, just as he said” (Matthew 28:6). They might not understand but they still ran. They had freedom from their fear which we read of in Matthew 28:8. 

These women in the Gospel had a kind of liberation too as they went from being in the back story, in support of the entourage to being front and centre, carrying very important news. Their beloved Master spoke to them before the others. He had done what he had promised, he was not a normal man. Surely they could believe what Simon Peter had said to Jesus. “You are the Messiah, the Son of the Living God.” (Matthew 16:16) 

Joy and happiness are not the same thing. Briefly, happiness can be based on ‘worldly pleasures’ like money or possessions while joy is more a state of the soul. Set in the context of the fear and mourning of COVID19, asking you to find the joy of knowing the Lord has risen may seem insensitive. However I also call to mind a slim volume written by Bob Gass, “Joy comes in the morning. Finding Comfort in The Time of Loss”. In it the reader is reminded “Weeping may tarry for the night, but joy comes with the morning.” (Psalm 30:5 ESV). 

However as we come to the end of this Easter Monday, I draw your attention more to the concept of Chapter 2 of that book, “Knowing whose hand you’re holding.” Therein can reside the joy. Bob Gass put it, “Silence is not absence.” We can read God’s comfort and promise to us in Psalm 139
“Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? 
 If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.” 
(Psalm 139:7-8)

Fear and pain may may at times displace joy. We may not feel God but he is always there and wants us to know the joy that one he can offer.

Shalom

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Woman of no Distinction

Don't often post other people's stuff here... But I found this so powerful that I thought I should. It's a performance poem based on John 4: 4-30, and I have attached the original YouTube video below. A word for women, and men, everywhere... "to be known is to be loved, and to be loved is to be known." I am a woman of no distinction of little importance. I am a women of no reputation save that which is bad. You whisper as I pass by and cast judgmental glances, Though you don’t really take the time to look at me, Or even get to know me. For to be known is to be loved, And to be loved is to be known. Otherwise what’s the point in doing either one of them in the first place? I WANT TO BE KNOWN. I want someone to look at my face And not just see two eyes, a nose, a mouth and two ears; But to see all that I am, and could be all my hopes, loves and fears. But that’s too much to hope for, to wish for, or pray for So I don’t, not anymore. Now I keep to myself And by that

Psalm for Harvest Sunday

A short responsive psalm for us as a call to worship on Harvest Thanksgiving Sunday, and given that it was pouring with rain as I headed into church this morning the first line is an important remembrance that the rain we moan about is an important component of the fruitfulness of the land we live in: You tend the land and water it And the earth produces its abundance. You crown each year with your bounty, and our storehouses overflow with your goodness. The mountain meadows are covered with flocks and the valleys are filled with corn; Your people celebrate your boundless grace They shout for joy and sing. from Psalm 65

Living under the Empire... (2) Where is Babylon?

We were driving back from school last week, talking about books that we had been reading and my younger son, Ciaran, asked me "Where is Babylon?" I have to confess that my history is better than my geography, and I said that it no longer exists as an inhabited city, but its ruins were to the north west of the current capital of Iraq, Baghdad. When I checked however, I discovered that it is actually about 50 miles south of Baghdad and the modern town is the administrative centre of the province of Babil... But just as the modern city is but a shadow of the historic capital of 2 ancient empires, first under Hammurabi in the 18th century BCE and then the "Neo-Babylonian" empire (under Nebuchadnezzar etc) in the 6th century BCE, so the earthly Babylonian empire/s was/were fleeting in comparison to the enduring metaphorical idea of Babylon. The original Empire under Hammurabi was probably the ultimate origin of some of the early Biblical stories, including the &quo