Skip to main content

LentArt: Black, Black on Wine

I'll keep this short, because there are some times when there are no suitable words. 

I love the sermons by Dr. S.M Lockridge and Tony Campolo that assert that "It's Friday, but Sunday's coming!" But this is Saturday... And we do well not to leap over this dark day, especially in this lockdown season. The daily government briefings inevitably include someone asking "How long will this lockdown last?" We need to learn to sit in the moment.

As I write this the sun is shining outside and normally people would be streaming to beautiful locations to enjoy the weather this holiday weekend, but for the sake of everyone we need to stay, if not indoors, certainly within the limits assigned for us. As Christ was confined within the tomb. So in some ways the sunshine is at odds with the spiritual mood of this day. 


Much mosre in keeping is my #LentArt Post this Holy Saturday, and essentially the final #LentArt post for this year: Mark Rothko's "Black, Black on Wine." I can't begin to say that I always "get" Rothko. I sat in front of a couple last year in Seattle willing myself to understand them, but I couldn't. They didn't leave me feeling so dismissive as some of the other pieces on display, where I could feel my inner father looming up... especially one with a few pieces of badly welded metal against a painted backdrop, but I still went away feeling that I was missing something. Or maybe I'm simply very shallow.

That's also the way I feel when it comes to John O'Donohue at times. The Irish scholar, poet and mystic has been an inspiration to a number of my friends, both through his writings and, before his death, in person. I was late to the party, and frankly his writing doesn't do it for me. Again, I'm perhaps just too shallow...

But in this lockdown period many of those same friends have again been recommending the insights of O'Donohue and quoting him widely. And certainly his repeated refrain about slowing down has something to say to us in this time. So I thought I would give him another go, taking off my shelf the only O'Donohue I own, "Anam Cara" which I bought in Portland, Oregon, on the same trip that took me to Seattle last year. And early in that book he reminds us that
"we are children of the darkness. Your body and your face are formed first in the darkness of your mother's womb."

Which brings me to Rothko's "Black, Black on Wine" and Holy Saturday. 

Holy Saturday. 
A day of darkness. 
The light of the world snuffed out.

Some of the last light 
that penetrated Jesus' eyes 
carried the image of his mother.

The last thing he tasted was sour wine... 
wine, which we take 
in remembrance of his death.

Now he is dead. 
The light has gone. 
Imprisoned within a tomb. 

As it once was within the womb.
With his mother's wine-red blood 
coursing around him
the only colour penetrating 
the darkness of his forming eyes.

But there is hope within a womb.
Hope, not certainty, but hope.

What hope is there with a tomb?
The sure and certain hope of resurrection?
But he who raised others from the dead
is now dead himself.
"I am the resurrection and the life!"
He is dead.


It's a reflection with no prayer today. What's the point of prayer when God is dead?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Woman of no Distinction

Don't often post other people's stuff here... But I found this so powerful that I thought I should. It's a performance poem based on John 4: 4-30, and I have attached the original YouTube video below. A word for women, and men, everywhere... "to be known is to be loved, and to be loved is to be known." I am a woman of no distinction of little importance. I am a women of no reputation save that which is bad. You whisper as I pass by and cast judgmental glances, Though you don’t really take the time to look at me, Or even get to know me. For to be known is to be loved, And to be loved is to be known. Otherwise what’s the point in doing either one of them in the first place? I WANT TO BE KNOWN. I want someone to look at my face And not just see two eyes, a nose, a mouth and two ears; But to see all that I am, and could be all my hopes, loves and fears. But that’s too much to hope for, to wish for, or pray for So I don’t, not anymore. Now I keep to myself And by that

Psalm for Harvest Sunday

A short responsive psalm for us as a call to worship on Harvest Thanksgiving Sunday, and given that it was pouring with rain as I headed into church this morning the first line is an important remembrance that the rain we moan about is an important component of the fruitfulness of the land we live in: You tend the land and water it And the earth produces its abundance. You crown each year with your bounty, and our storehouses overflow with your goodness. The mountain meadows are covered with flocks and the valleys are filled with corn; Your people celebrate your boundless grace They shout for joy and sing. from Psalm 65

Living under the Empire... (2) Where is Babylon?

We were driving back from school last week, talking about books that we had been reading and my younger son, Ciaran, asked me "Where is Babylon?" I have to confess that my history is better than my geography, and I said that it no longer exists as an inhabited city, but its ruins were to the north west of the current capital of Iraq, Baghdad. When I checked however, I discovered that it is actually about 50 miles south of Baghdad and the modern town is the administrative centre of the province of Babil... But just as the modern city is but a shadow of the historic capital of 2 ancient empires, first under Hammurabi in the 18th century BCE and then the "Neo-Babylonian" empire (under Nebuchadnezzar etc) in the 6th century BCE, so the earthly Babylonian empire/s was/were fleeting in comparison to the enduring metaphorical idea of Babylon. The original Empire under Hammurabi was probably the ultimate origin of some of the early Biblical stories, including the &quo