Skip to main content

LentArt: Jesus Crowned with Thorns

Todays #LentArt post is a painting of Jesus in the crown of thorns by Mark Klaisner, a United Methodist Minister in Wisconsin USA. Mark has a skill with a paintbrush that it beyond me, and I find that those with such a skill open my eyes to things in the world and indeed the words of scripture that are often beyond my field of vision, and that is why I often use the art of others to explore Biblical texts in a way that is not about mere illustration, but which is about opening them up. Martin touched on this in his reflection last night. I hope that this exercise has been helpful to others apart from myself. 

My “thing” is not painting but words. Be it the words with which I seek to explore the world and words of scripture in sermons, or the words in action to be found in theatre, or the distillation of ideas into fewer words that is what I seek to do in my attempts at poetry. 

And my response tonight to the many words to be found in the Gospel reading for the lectionary tonight, John chapters 18 and 19, (too many to post here but which we will be reading in our online Tenebrae Service on YouTube this evening), and to Mark’s poem is a poem… with its words largely taken from those two chapters of John. 


A King not of this world 
Crowned with thorns not gold. 
Flogged not fawned over. 
Exalted on a cross not a dias and throne.
Not dressed in silk and ermine 
But stripped naked for all to see. 

Religious authority restored. 
Imperial power affirmed. 
Necessity triumphs over truth. 
Law trumps love. 

“Here is your King!” 
“He’s not our king 
Take him away. 
Give us the bandit, 
Or the oppressor, 
Anyone but him!" 

“The King of the Jews.” 
“Not so, 
No matter how many languages 
You write it in.” 
“He said he was King of the Jews.” 
Not so. 
No matter how many languages 
You write it in. 

A God who thirsts. 
A God who has a mother. 
A God who dies. 
It is finished. 

Quick lets get him out of the way. 


PRAYER (as used in tonight’s online Tenebrae Service) 
In the Letter to the Hebrews in today's lectionary we read: 
Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has ascended into heaven, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to the faith we profess. For we do not have a high priest who is unable to empathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet he did not sin. Let us then approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need. 
During the days of Jesus’ life on earth, he offered up prayers and petitions with fervent cries and tears to the one who could save him from death, and he was heard because of his reverent submission. Son though he was, he learned obedience from what he suffered and, once made perfect, he became the source of eternal salvation for all who obey him. 
Hebrews 4:14-16; 5:7-9 (NIV) 

In the light of that, let us pray: 

Gracious God, we thank you that you are not distant from us - 
You are not deaf to our plight 
But in your great love for us you sent us your Son 
To share in our weakness and suffering. 
Our great High Priest forever interceding for us 
A light in the darkness 

We pray tonight for those who feel 
that they are in the midst of darkness at this time 
The darkness of fear; the darkness of loneliness; 
The darkness of grief; The darkness of despair; the darkness of poverty 
Wherever shadows threaten to overwhelm 
Wherever they erode dignity or crush the spirit, 
Wherever they hold terror, or danger, or hopelessness 
Come Lord Jesus, light of the world, 
Shine in the darkness 

We pray today for all victims and perpetrators of violence 
For those whose bodies have been violated 
For those whose bodies have been harmed or abused 
For those who have lost sight of the holiness of the human body 
And the value of human life 
Come Lord Jesus, light of the world, 
Shine in the darkness 

We pray today for those whose bodies are ravaged by illness 
Particularly those dealing with covid-19 
Or whose conditions have been rendered more dangerous 
Because of this disease 
For those who live with chronic pain, or fatigue, or disability 
For those whose bodies are failing and nearing the end of life 
Come Lord Jesus, light of the world, 
Shine in the darkness 

We pray today for our bodies 
With all their aches and pains 
With all their limitations 
The secrets and memories they hold 
The lines, scars and markings they bear 
Their vulnerability, their woundedness 
We bring our bodies to you, whatever state they are in 
Help us to love, cherish and care for them. 
Come Lord Jesus, light of the world, 
Shine in the darkness 

Amen. 
Selah

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Woman of no Distinction

Don't often post other people's stuff here... But I found this so powerful that I thought I should. It's a performance poem based on John 4: 4-30, and I have attached the original YouTube video below. A word for women, and men, everywhere... "to be known is to be loved, and to be loved is to be known." I am a woman of no distinction of little importance. I am a women of no reputation save that which is bad. You whisper as I pass by and cast judgmental glances, Though you don’t really take the time to look at me, Or even get to know me. For to be known is to be loved, And to be loved is to be known. Otherwise what’s the point in doing either one of them in the first place? I WANT TO BE KNOWN. I want someone to look at my face And not just see two eyes, a nose, a mouth and two ears; But to see all that I am, and could be all my hopes, loves and fears. But that’s too much to hope for, to wish for, or pray for So I don’t, not anymore. Now I keep to myself And by that

Psalm for Harvest Sunday

A short responsive psalm for us as a call to worship on Harvest Thanksgiving Sunday, and given that it was pouring with rain as I headed into church this morning the first line is an important remembrance that the rain we moan about is an important component of the fruitfulness of the land we live in: You tend the land and water it And the earth produces its abundance. You crown each year with your bounty, and our storehouses overflow with your goodness. The mountain meadows are covered with flocks and the valleys are filled with corn; Your people celebrate your boundless grace They shout for joy and sing. from Psalm 65

Living under the Empire... (2) Where is Babylon?

We were driving back from school last week, talking about books that we had been reading and my younger son, Ciaran, asked me "Where is Babylon?" I have to confess that my history is better than my geography, and I said that it no longer exists as an inhabited city, but its ruins were to the north west of the current capital of Iraq, Baghdad. When I checked however, I discovered that it is actually about 50 miles south of Baghdad and the modern town is the administrative centre of the province of Babil... But just as the modern city is but a shadow of the historic capital of 2 ancient empires, first under Hammurabi in the 18th century BCE and then the "Neo-Babylonian" empire (under Nebuchadnezzar etc) in the 6th century BCE, so the earthly Babylonian empire/s was/were fleeting in comparison to the enduring metaphorical idea of Babylon. The original Empire under Hammurabi was probably the ultimate origin of some of the early Biblical stories, including the &quo