Skip to main content

LentArt: Mary Anointing Jesus’ Feet

Earlier today I posted a the 41st in my series of #LentArt images based on the Daily Lectionary which I said was Frank Wesley's "Mary Magdalene washing the feet of Jesus". I was expecting some pushback. 

Actually I got one comment on Facebook saying that this wasn’t how the person expected Mary Magdalene to look, and that’s probably true of most of us. Historically people have tended to imagine and portray Biblical characters through the lens of their own experience and for most of us that means primarily from a western European perspective. But in recent years we are perhaps more culturally aware and picture such characters with more classically eastern Mediterranean/middle eastern features. But the person in this picture is definitely not from that back ground either. 

The artist Frank Wesley was actually a Christian from India. He was born in Azamgarh, in December 1923 into a fifth generation Methodist family, unsurprising given the surname. 

He began his art training in Lucknow but spent four years at the Kyoto Art University in Japan, explaining some of the Japanese influences in this picture. He said however, “My main work is to paint the Bible in our own Indian way. It is to do something for the church in the field of art” and he did that in many ways including a range of paintings specifically for Holy Week. Certainly this picture reminds us that this story has global significance. 

However, this Wesley was clearly not a New Testament scholar as demonstrated by the title of his painting. He, like many before him, have fallen into the trap of conflating Mary Magdalene, the primary witness to the resurrection and one of the women who Luke suggests financially supported Jesus’ ministry, with the woman or perhaps women who anointed Jesus’ feet. In one of the accounts the morality of the woman is brought into disrepute and this is part of what many commentators have seen as a conspiracy by a male-dominated church to discredit an early Christian female leader. Nowhere is Mary Magdalene described as a prostitute in scripture and nowhere is she described as anointing Jesus’ feet. It was this that I was expecting some pushback from by fellow New Testament pedants. But no-one bit… People have probably got more important things to do. 

In the lectionary reading from the gospel today the woman who anointed his feet is described as Mary of Bethany: 
Six days before the Passover Jesus came to Bethany, the home of Lazarus, whom he had raised from the dead. There they gave a dinner for him. Martha served, and Lazarus was one of those at the table with him. Mary took a pound of costly perfume made of pure nard, anointed Jesus' feet, and wiped them with her hair. The house was filled with the fragrance of the perfume. 
But Judas Iscariot, one of his disciples (the one who was about to betray him), said, 
"Why was this perfume not sold for three hundred denarii and the money given to the poor?" 
(He said this not because he cared about the poor, but because he was a thief; he kept the common purse and used to steal what was put into it.) 
Jesus said, "Leave her alone. She bought it so that she might keep it for the day of my burial. You always have the poor with you, but you do not always have me." 
When the great crowd of the Jews learned that he was there, they came not only because of Jesus but also to see Lazarus, whom he had raised from the dead. So the chief priests planned to put Lazarus to death as well, since it was on account of him that many of the Jews were deserting and were believing in Jesus. 
John 12:1-11 

What follows is a monologue I posted back in 2013 having written it for an event at EBM in Holy Week during my previous sabbatical, together with a prayer used as part of that event. Of course in this piece I also conflate the various accounts of women anointing Jesus’ feet, but it isn’t Mary Magdalene:

____________________________________________________________________

I had been keeping that perfume for my wedding day… It was the most expensive thing I owned… even the jar itself was worth more than my other possessions… But the perfume sealed inside it had been brought from the far east… the mountains at the edge of the earth… Pure nard… the very best that my brother could buy for me… 

That was back when he was working… before he became famous… Before he became ill and died… You’ve probably heard of him… Shimon Eleazar… or maybe you know him as Simon the Leper… or Lazarus… He had been ill for a long time, and on previous visits my sister and I had hosted Jesus ourselves… But we all knew that one day that dreadful disease would finish our beloved brother off… We had hoped that Jesus would heal him… but for some reason he didn’t… and even when the end was near we sent word to him but he didn’t come… at least not at first… He turned up 4 days too late… or so we thought… I couldn’t face him at first, I was so angry… And when I saw him I said “"If you had just gotten here on time, my brother would not have died." 

I was weeping… and so did he… But then he asked where the tomb was… and… well, you know the rest… the whole country knows the rest… 

And there they were… all of the men sitting down to meal… A sight I had never expected to see again this side of heaven… my brother Shimon beside the Master… Martha of course was bustling around organising everything… She never did learn to take things slower… 

But I was wondering what I could do to say thank you… Then I remembered the perfume… Although I said I was keeping it for my wedding day, I had seriously thought about using it to anoint Shimon’s body before we put it in the tomb… But Martha… ever the realist… said “No!” that I needed the perfume more than ever… either to catch the right man… or to sell to stop us starving! 

But we didn’t have to worry about that now… Shimon was back with us again… Risen from the dead… 

So I went over to where the Master was reclining and broke open the jar… The perfume filled the room with its heady scent… And I poured it over him… first on his head massaging it into his hair and down his shoulders… then on his feet… drying them with my own hair… 

His followers were scandalised… some said I was behaving like a whore… But I don’t care what people will say about me… I had to find some way of showing my love and gratitude… and it had to cost me something… Not just the price of the perfume… 

But it was the money they focussed on… Especially their treasurer Judas… He knows the price of everything that one… He spluttered about it being worth 300 silver coins… And how many poor people it would feed… 

Then I felt bad about what I’d done… had I been wasteful… 

Then one of the other disciples joked… said that Judas was only thinking of the tithe he could skim off the top… 

But the Master told them to stop, said that I had done a beautiful thing… He then said something about always having the poor with us, but that we wouldn’t always have him. I wasn’t sure what he meant by that… He clearly didn’t mean that we shouldn’t bother about the poor… that wouldn’t have been like him… 

But then he said something even stranger… That when I poured the perfume on him, I did it to prepare him for burial. 

Had Martha told him about me wanting to anoint Shimon’s body with it? I don’t know… 

But I didn’t understand what he meant about his burial… God willing he’ll be with us for a long time yet… 


PRAYER: 
Lord, what can we give you in the light of all that you have given to us and for us… 
All that we have has come from you, all that we are we owe to you, 
All that we can be is known to you alone. 
You loved us so much that you gave us your son; 
He loved us so much that he gave up the riches of heaven 
To live as one of us and die for all of us. 
Nothing we can give, or do, or say, or sing can adequately thank you for all that you have done… 
And so we give our all over to you who gave your all for us. AMEN 

Selah

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Woman of no Distinction

Don't often post other people's stuff here... But I found this so powerful that I thought I should. It's a performance poem based on John 4: 4-30, and I have attached the original YouTube video below. A word for women, and men, everywhere... "to be known is to be loved, and to be loved is to be known." I am a woman of no distinction of little importance. I am a women of no reputation save that which is bad. You whisper as I pass by and cast judgmental glances, Though you don’t really take the time to look at me, Or even get to know me. For to be known is to be loved, And to be loved is to be known. Otherwise what’s the point in doing either one of them in the first place? I WANT TO BE KNOWN. I want someone to look at my face And not just see two eyes, a nose, a mouth and two ears; But to see all that I am, and could be all my hopes, loves and fears. But that’s too much to hope for, to wish for, or pray for So I don’t, not anymore. Now I keep to myself And by that

Psalm for Harvest Sunday

A short responsive psalm for us as a call to worship on Harvest Thanksgiving Sunday, and given that it was pouring with rain as I headed into church this morning the first line is an important remembrance that the rain we moan about is an important component of the fruitfulness of the land we live in: You tend the land and water it And the earth produces its abundance. You crown each year with your bounty, and our storehouses overflow with your goodness. The mountain meadows are covered with flocks and the valleys are filled with corn; Your people celebrate your boundless grace They shout for joy and sing. from Psalm 65

Anointed

There has been a lot of chatter on social media among some of my colleagues and others about the liturgical and socio-political niceties of Saturday's coronation and attendant festivities, especially the shielding of the anointing with the pictured spoon - the oldest and perhaps strangest of the coronation artefacts. Personally I thought that was at least an improvement on the cloth of gold canopy used in the previous coronation, but (pointless) debates are raging as to whether this is an ancient practice or was simply introduced in the previous service to shield the Queen from the TV cameras, not for purposes of sacredness, but understandable coyness, if she actually had to bare her breast bone in puritan 1950s Britain. But as any church leader knows, anything performed twice in a church becomes a tradition. All this goes to show that I did actually watch it, while doing other things - the whole shooting match from the pre-service concert with yer wumman in that lemon-