Skip to main content

Hagar's Tale: Is this the End of the Story?

Jean-François Millet's unfinished 
painting of  "Hagar and Ishmael" 
from the Mesdag Collection in the Hague

This is part of a project I have been planning to start for some time, but there is never enough time. I didn't get round to it on my sabbatical and for all the "extra time for creative projects" that some people were talking about at the beginning of lockdown, I never seemed to find any... at least no more than was available for me to do my job, into which I already pour a fair amount of creative energy (even though some people might not recognise it). I tend to avoid my computer like the plague on holiday and days off because I am not good at resisting the gravitational pull of work, which even more than usual these days, I associate with my computer. But I have got a couple of days where I am still on leave and away from home but Sally is working, so I thought that I would do a couple of things that usually get pushed out by the routine or the urgent... including starting this project...

The aim is to do more monologues, not primarily for the context of worship, as most have been in the past, but as longer pieces of writing in their own right, telling the stories of lesser known characters in the Bible... and unsurprisingly many of them are women.

I thought I would start with Hagar for a number of reasons, not least because I have recently, on a couple of occasions, posted, both in a written form and as a rehearsed reading, my monologue giving the "other side" of the story... Sarai/Sarah's perspective. But in these days of #BlackLivesMatter and the exploration of the history of slavery in the world I thought that it is appropriate to give voice to one of the earliest recorded African slaves...

However, I recognise in this that I am a) male b) a white male brought up in relative prosperity and freedom 3500 years and 3500 miles from where this story is set. So if anyone out there thinks that I have got the tone of this completely wrong, please let me know... this is the starting point for this project and I hope the starting point for thinking by me and others willing to dialogue with me. Biblically the story of Hagar can be found in Genesis chapter 16 and 21, but I have thrown in some material from Jewish Midrash as well as my own imagination. Incidentally some Jewish traditions suggest that after Sarah's death, at Isaac's instigation Hagar and Ishmael were reconciled with Abraham... I wonder though whether that is a way of taking the bad look off Abraham and putting all the blame for the estrangement on Sarah... with the woman being at fault as ever...

Anyway, here's Hagar's story:

Is this where my story ends? Not quite back at the beginning?

Egypt, is just over the horizon… Shimmering like a mirage. My mistress Sarai whose name means “Princess” used to tell visitors to our encampment that I too was once a princess, the daughter of the Pharaoh of Egypt, but that when God rescued her from  Pharaoh’s clutches that I said:

“It is better to be a slave in Sarai's house than a princess in my own…”

And that I then went with her and Abram when they were banished from Egypt.

But she never gave me the chance to tell my own story… The truth is, my background was much, much humbler. I was a good deal younger than my son is now when I was stolen from my village to become a slave in Egypt… I was so young I can hardly remember what my parents looked like or indeed where exactly I came from…

It was a punitive raid further along the Nile by Pharaoh’s forces I presume. That’s where most of Egypt’s slaves come from. But I wasn’t sold off in the markets like most of the slaves, who were generally worked hard and died young. Instead I was kept in the royal palace and trained in the basic household tasks by one of Pharaoh’s slave-masters. I was given the name Hagar, meaning “My Reward” when I was presented to Sarai as a wedding gift by Pharaoh when, thinking that she was unmarried “sister” of Abram, a wealthy Hebrew nomad, he took her into his palace as his own wife. But actually Sarai was really Abram’s wife… For some reason Abram thought that was safer to pretend she was his sister… Safer for whom I don’t know… Certainly not for Sarai… But when Pharaoh found out that he had been tricked, he threw Sarai and all her belongings, including me, out of the palace and banished her and Abram and all their household from Egypt… It’s a wonder he didn’t just kill us all… Pharaoh is not known for his mercy… Though perhaps, in retrospect, death then might have been a mercy…

I have never seen Egypt again… my native Africa… I don’t suppose now that I ever will… That we ever will…

At first, as Sarai’s slave girl, things were pleasant enough. I helped her with her routine tasks - cooking, cleaning, making and mending clothes, as well as bathing my mistress and applying her make-up, using all the skills that I had been taught back in Egypt… But no-matter how much make-up I applied it couldn’t cover up the fact that beautiful though she was, she was also getting on in years… and in all those years she had borne Abram no children… Ironic given that his name means “Father of many!” It was a source of great sorrow for them both, and sometimes, as I applied kohl to her eyes, I had to wipe them clean and start again because her tears had made black streaks run down her face.

But one day, after I had been with them for about 10 years, I was bending over to pick something up outside our tent, when I heard my mistress saying from behind me “Well now Hagar, over these past few years you have developed some good child-bearing hips. Perhaps we can put them to good use.”

I didn’t know what she meant, but like all slaves, knew better than to ask. But that night, when we lay down to sleep, my master Abram came and laid with me instead of with his wife. I started to cry out in pain, but he placed his hand over my mouth and kept reassuring me that everything was alright… that everything would be alright… And as I looked across the tent I could see Sarai staring at me… and I stared right back, through my tears…

This happened every night for a week… Then when the time for my monthly bleed came, Sarai checked my garments day by day… I felt like one of Abram’s prize heifers. But when nothing appeared, she was delighted. She knew that Abram’s seed had taken. She told Abram and he too was full of joy. He lavished me with gifts of fruit, perfumes, clothes and even jewellery… I wasn’t sure that he even knew I existed before all of this, but for a short time it seemed as if I became the centre of his life… He told Sarai to excuse me from my daily chores… And I will admit, it all went to my head… As the child grew within me my confidence grew, and I started to speak to my mistress as an equal… until one day, while I was sitting under the tent awning sheltering from the sun and massaging oil into my belly as some of the older slaves had told me to do, I said “Sarai…” Not “Mistress” but “Sarai… would you fetch me a cup of water?”

“How dare you!” she said, “Have you forgotten who is the slave around here?”

“Have you forgotten who is carrying Abram’s child?” I snapped back.

She said nothing. But I didn’t get my cup of water.

The next morning however, she trailed me from my bed.

“Abram says I’m to show you who is mistress…” she said, “There will be no more lazing around for you. Go and fetch breakfast for me.” And with that she pushed me out of the tent.

The next week or so were unbearable. Nothing I did was right. Everything I did resulted in a harsh word, or worse, a beating… Something that she never did before. Even Abram’s prize heifers weren’t treated that way. I appealed to Abram but he said “It has nothing to do with me… it is between your mistress and you.” He pretended not to see what Sarai was doing to me… And his supply of gifts dried up…

Things became so unbearable that I decided to run away… Though where I thought I was going to run to I do not know… But I was on the road to Shur, when I stopped beside a well… It was there that I heard a voice, clear as day, telling me “Go back to your mistress and submit to her.”

I thought it was sunstroke. But the voice promised:

“I will increase your descendants so much that they will be too numerous to count… They will flow from this desert land, as numerous as the grains of sand within it. The son that you will give birth to will be called Ishmael… ‘God hears’ because the Lord has heard of your misery. He will grow to be a wild donkey of a man, standing up to everyone around him, surviving the hostility of his brothers.”

“What brothers?” I thought… but I called that place Beer Lahai Roi, the well of the Living God who sees me… God saw my plight even if Abram didn’t… And so I went back to the camp of Abram and Sarai… And  while they didn’t exactly welcome me back with open arms, Sarai stopped abusing me. Abram had bought her another personal slave, and I became just a general household slave, seeing out the rest of my pregnancy avoiding my former mistress as much as possible and she me. But when the time came for me to give birth to my son, through my tears I could see her sitting watching across the tent as she had when he was conceived.

Abram was not there. Men never are. He was ushered in by the other women when I and my son had been made presentable again. I suggested that he should give the boy the name “Ishmael” and Abram said “Ah, ‘God Hears!’ How appropriate, given that God has heard my plea for a son…” And I smiled… Looking across at Sarai who was definitely not smiling…

And my son has given me many reasons for smiling over the past 12 years… I remained a slave… but he was granted the full rights of a free-born son… Abram loved him and took great pride in him and I had every reason to believe he would grow up to inherit his father’s wealth when he dies… which he must do soon, I thought… And so, ironically, he would inherit me… his mother, as his property…

But even that peculiar blessing was denied us… Because just as Ishmael was due to come of age, Sarai, somehow, found a fertile place within her wizened old bones for Abram’s seed to grow. At last she gave birth to a son, which she called “Isaac” laughter… And she laughed at me as I once had mocked her… But when the time came for her son to be weaned Abram threw a great feast, and my son saw how Sarai was behaving… As that voice in the desert had told me he was not one to shy from a fight and in response to Sarai’s mocking laughter, he laughed at her and her scrawny son saying “Remember who the firstborn is you old crone!”

At that point the laughter stopped. Sarai snarled at Abram, “Get rid of that slave woman and her son…” She refused to use our names…

“Get rid of that slave woman and her son, for that woman’s son will never share in the inheritance with my son Isaac.”

And he won’t… Because the next morning Abram gave me some food and a skin of water and sent us off into the Desert of Beersheba towards Egypt.

I said “You can’t do this!”

I knew that he could do what he wanted with me… after all he already had… I was only a slave.. His property… But what about his son!?

He said that God had assured him that we would be alright… That both Isaac and Ishmael would father nations making him not just Abram, “father of many”, but Abraham “Father of many nations.” But fathers should protect their children, not just cast them off into the desert…

But cast us off he did… We walked off through the desert back towards Egypt… I suppose I was free at last… But we ate the last of the food two days ago, and finished the water this morning… So I left Ishmael to sleep under those bushes over there, and came here where I can’t hear him whimpering and he can’t see me cry… Where now is the God who sees me… the God who hears?

Did he really see me 12 years ago when I ran away into the desert? Did I really hear him speaking to me? Or was it just wishful thinking? Just the sun-crazed delusions of a slave girl whom no-one ever sees or hears?

What about all the other slaves? Does God see and hear them? Or am I and my son special?

And if by some miracle we were to survive, what would I tell this son of mine, this son of a slave girl… this rejected son of Abra-HAM who will himself father a nation? Will I tell him how special he was in the eyes of God? Will I feed him on a diet of stories of his lost inheritance? Of desert dreams? What will I tell him of his brother Isaac; the one whose birth brought laughter while his brother Ishmael and his mother is banished? Or what could I tell him of his forgotten family in Africa? Do they still live there or were they too sold into slavery?

What sort of a nation is born from a story like this? Perhaps it would be better if the story stopped here…

 as she sat there, she  began to sob.

God heard the boy crying, and the angel of God called to Hagar from heaven and said to her, “What is the matter, Hagar? Do not be afraid; God has heard the boy crying as he lies there.  Lift the boy up and take him by the hand, for I will make him into a great nation.”

Then God opened her eyes and she saw a well of water. So she went and filled the skin with water and gave the boy a drink.

God was with the boy as he grew up. He lived in the desert and became an archer.  While he was living in the Desert of Paran, his mother got a wife for him from Egypt.

Genesis 21: 16-21 (NIV)

 

Selah

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Woman of no Distinction

Don't often post other people's stuff here... But I found this so powerful that I thought I should. It's a performance poem based on John 4: 4-30, and I have attached the original YouTube video below. A word for women, and men, everywhere... "to be known is to be loved, and to be loved is to be known." I am a woman of no distinction of little importance. I am a women of no reputation save that which is bad. You whisper as I pass by and cast judgmental glances, Though you don’t really take the time to look at me, Or even get to know me. For to be known is to be loved, And to be loved is to be known. Otherwise what’s the point in doing either one of them in the first place? I WANT TO BE KNOWN. I want someone to look at my face And not just see two eyes, a nose, a mouth and two ears; But to see all that I am, and could be all my hopes, loves and fears. But that’s too much to hope for, to wish for, or pray for So I don’t, not anymore. Now I keep to myself And by that

Psalm for Harvest Sunday

A short responsive psalm for us as a call to worship on Harvest Thanksgiving Sunday, and given that it was pouring with rain as I headed into church this morning the first line is an important remembrance that the rain we moan about is an important component of the fruitfulness of the land we live in: You tend the land and water it And the earth produces its abundance. You crown each year with your bounty, and our storehouses overflow with your goodness. The mountain meadows are covered with flocks and the valleys are filled with corn; Your people celebrate your boundless grace They shout for joy and sing. from Psalm 65

Living under the Empire... (2) Where is Babylon?

We were driving back from school last week, talking about books that we had been reading and my younger son, Ciaran, asked me "Where is Babylon?" I have to confess that my history is better than my geography, and I said that it no longer exists as an inhabited city, but its ruins were to the north west of the current capital of Iraq, Baghdad. When I checked however, I discovered that it is actually about 50 miles south of Baghdad and the modern town is the administrative centre of the province of Babil... But just as the modern city is but a shadow of the historic capital of 2 ancient empires, first under Hammurabi in the 18th century BCE and then the "Neo-Babylonian" empire (under Nebuchadnezzar etc) in the 6th century BCE, so the earthly Babylonian empire/s was/were fleeting in comparison to the enduring metaphorical idea of Babylon. The original Empire under Hammurabi was probably the ultimate origin of some of the early Biblical stories, including the &quo