Skip to main content

The Shaping of Peace


Today is the International Day of Peace 2020. This year the theme is "Shaping Peace Together" and we are encouraged to mark it by spreading compassion, kindness and hope in the face of the COVID-19 pandemic, standing together against attempts to use the virus to promote discrimination or hatred. It chimes well with a number of initiatives I have been involved with over the years, not least the 4 Corners Festival, and a number of my colleagues involved in that will be blogging and taking part in various events today. This being Monday it is my "day off" but in the shaping of peace together I suppose there should be no "days off". In thinking about today my mind was filled not only withe this year's theme, but also 4 Corners Festival themes past and future and especially the words of Oscar Romero that I have quoted previously:
"Peace is not the product of terror or fear.
Peace is not the silence of cemeteries.
Peace is not the silent result of violent repression.
Peace is the generous,
tranquil contribution of all
to the good of all.
Peace is dynamism.
Peace is generosity.
It is right and it is duty."
Archbishop Oscar Romero 

It was with all this in mind that I wrote the following. Like the pursuit of peace it is a work in progress...


May we not rest in peace 
Content with the decay of death
But may we be unrelentingly restless
In our pursuit of that illusive dove

May we not merely be gracious
Cloaking violence in silken words
But may we be full to the brim
Of grace and mercy and peace

May we be graceful and merciful
And peaceful so that these three
Rather than blood and bile and fear
Spill from shaken hearts and lives

May we not simply speak of peace
As a poultice on a putrid wound
Poisoning the well of well-being
Rendering words worthless

May reconciliation be founded
On the restoration of real relationship
Forgiveness not on forgetfulness of hurt
But remembrance of shared humanity.

May we learn to embrace again
Rather than remain distanced 
Breathing peace upon each other
Rather than the stale air of fearful isolation.

May we learn how to include the exclusive
Without tolerating intolerance
Discriminating only in our
Divine desire to welcome all 

May we shape peace together
From the precious broken pieces 
Of a wounded but wonderful world
Redeemed, renewed and set right.

Shalom

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Woman of no Distinction

Don't often post other people's stuff here... But I found this so powerful that I thought I should. It's a performance poem based on John 4: 4-30, and I have attached the original YouTube video below. A word for women, and men, everywhere... "to be known is to be loved, and to be loved is to be known." I am a woman of no distinction of little importance. I am a women of no reputation save that which is bad. You whisper as I pass by and cast judgmental glances, Though you don’t really take the time to look at me, Or even get to know me. For to be known is to be loved, And to be loved is to be known. Otherwise what’s the point in doing either one of them in the first place? I WANT TO BE KNOWN. I want someone to look at my face And not just see two eyes, a nose, a mouth and two ears; But to see all that I am, and could be all my hopes, loves and fears. But that’s too much to hope for, to wish for, or pray for So I don’t, not anymore. Now I keep to myself And by that

Psalm for Harvest Sunday

A short responsive psalm for us as a call to worship on Harvest Thanksgiving Sunday, and given that it was pouring with rain as I headed into church this morning the first line is an important remembrance that the rain we moan about is an important component of the fruitfulness of the land we live in: You tend the land and water it And the earth produces its abundance. You crown each year with your bounty, and our storehouses overflow with your goodness. The mountain meadows are covered with flocks and the valleys are filled with corn; Your people celebrate your boundless grace They shout for joy and sing. from Psalm 65

Living under the Empire... (2) Where is Babylon?

We were driving back from school last week, talking about books that we had been reading and my younger son, Ciaran, asked me "Where is Babylon?" I have to confess that my history is better than my geography, and I said that it no longer exists as an inhabited city, but its ruins were to the north west of the current capital of Iraq, Baghdad. When I checked however, I discovered that it is actually about 50 miles south of Baghdad and the modern town is the administrative centre of the province of Babil... But just as the modern city is but a shadow of the historic capital of 2 ancient empires, first under Hammurabi in the 18th century BCE and then the "Neo-Babylonian" empire (under Nebuchadnezzar etc) in the 6th century BCE, so the earthly Babylonian empire/s was/were fleeting in comparison to the enduring metaphorical idea of Babylon. The original Empire under Hammurabi was probably the ultimate origin of some of the early Biblical stories, including the &quo