Yesterday I shared John Donne's "Annunciation" today I share a longer and more contemporary poem offering a different perspective on the same event, but one also by someone who is both a cleric and a poet. Actually Jan Richardson, today's author is not only a United Methodist Minister and poet, she is also a gifted visual artist and has ministered to many people in both word and image over the years, and has even used her own grief on the loss of her husband and collaborator Garrison Doles in 2013 to develop some powerfully healing resources. I first came across her through another friend in England and the use of her work in the online "The Text this Week" resource, but she is a close friend of two friends of mine and on one of their visits to Belfast we had a brief dinner together at which I was reduced to the role of tongue-tied fanboy... She regularly leads Advent retreats and produces resources for this time of year, indeed I picked up her "Through the Advent Door: Entering a Contemplative Christmas" late this year (in the chaos of this year, contemplation has not had the place it perhaps should!!!), and she is currently leading an "online journey into the heart of Christmas" entitled "Illuminated 2020" which you might like to check out, even at this late stage.
Shalom
Comments