Skip to main content

No Space on that Cross


No posts recently, as I have been quite busy with a few things, not least the 4 Corners Festival. But yesterday in the midst of a range of situations that have arisen over the last week, where there was the danger of my well-developed Messiah Complex re-emerging, my 4 Corners compadre Jim Deeds dropped round the little "rugged cross" in the attached picture. Its carved from a piece of gum-scarred cherry wood given to Jim by another friend in my native east Belfast, and when he posted pictures of another cross carved from a piece of the same tree I said how it called to mind my childhood where we had a flowering cherry tree in the street outside the home where I grew up. It was a source of many memories - as a street swing; a safe-base for games of tag; a source of spring blossoms, signs of warmer days coming, that we used to kick our way through when they finally fell; a producer of autumn leaves that we also kicked our way through much to my mum's annoyance when we also kicked what local dogs had buried in the midst of them; and also a producer of sticky summer resin that got all over our clothes and likewise annoyed my mum. That same resin or gum is also what gives this little cross its gnarled character, and together with the oil that Jim has used to season it, it has an aromatic quality that is strongly earthing, drawing me back from the crises that have surrounded me in the last 24 hours into the here and now. 

And I am reminded that my actions (or inactions) are not the be all and end all of the situations that surround me... prompting this reflection:

The is no space on that cross 
To allow others to nail me,
Or to do it to myself 
If I could wield the hammer. 

There is no job vacancy 
For an anointed saviour 
To address all the sins 
And woes of the world.

There is no requirement 
For me as Messiah to ride into town 
On a white charger or chariot 
Donkey or Skoda Octavia.

Even after all these years 
I still need to learn just to 
Carry my own cross, 
And play my own, small, part.
Selah

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Woman of no Distinction

Don't often post other people's stuff here... But I found this so powerful that I thought I should. It's a performance poem based on John 4: 4-30, and I have attached the original YouTube video below. A word for women, and men, everywhere... "to be known is to be loved, and to be loved is to be known." I am a woman of no distinction of little importance. I am a women of no reputation save that which is bad. You whisper as I pass by and cast judgmental glances, Though you don’t really take the time to look at me, Or even get to know me. For to be known is to be loved, And to be loved is to be known. Otherwise what’s the point in doing either one of them in the first place? I WANT TO BE KNOWN. I want someone to look at my face And not just see two eyes, a nose, a mouth and two ears; But to see all that I am, and could be all my hopes, loves and fears. But that’s too much to hope for, to wish for, or pray for So I don’t, not anymore. Now I keep to myself And by that

Psalm for Harvest Sunday

A short responsive psalm for us as a call to worship on Harvest Thanksgiving Sunday, and given that it was pouring with rain as I headed into church this morning the first line is an important remembrance that the rain we moan about is an important component of the fruitfulness of the land we live in: You tend the land and water it And the earth produces its abundance. You crown each year with your bounty, and our storehouses overflow with your goodness. The mountain meadows are covered with flocks and the valleys are filled with corn; Your people celebrate your boundless grace They shout for joy and sing. from Psalm 65

Anointed

There has been a lot of chatter on social media among some of my colleagues and others about the liturgical and socio-political niceties of Saturday's coronation and attendant festivities, especially the shielding of the anointing with the pictured spoon - the oldest and perhaps strangest of the coronation artefacts. Personally I thought that was at least an improvement on the cloth of gold canopy used in the previous coronation, but (pointless) debates are raging as to whether this is an ancient practice or was simply introduced in the previous service to shield the Queen from the TV cameras, not for purposes of sacredness, but understandable coyness, if she actually had to bare her breast bone in puritan 1950s Britain. But as any church leader knows, anything performed twice in a church becomes a tradition. All this goes to show that I did actually watch it, while doing other things - the whole shooting match from the pre-service concert with yer wumman in that lemon-