Skip to main content

Believe Ding Dong...

It's been a while since I've had a good, old-fashioned rant on here... And despite having more things on my to-do list than I am physically capable of completing in the allocated time (how on earth I would have coped if various other events had not been cancelled or scaled back due to covid I do not know), the experience of 1 hour shopping is enough to prompt this... 
It's not really a rant... but it is not well-digested enough to call it a reflection, and not even I can shape it into something I would claim as "poetry."
Its about Christmas jumpers, an item of clothing I have never possessed, but I have been asked to don one for something later in the week. At first I thought I would order a "Keep Calm its Only Advent" hoodie from an online supplier, but thanks to the Northern Ireland protocol (or rather the company's unwillingness to do the extra paperwork involved in the Northern Ireland Protocol - "Brexit - the Gift that keeps on giving") they won't ship to my address. So I then thought I would go and buy one that I could wear not only in the run-up to this celebration of conspicuous consumption, but throughout the winter, and for a few more years to come (I have jumpers that are older than my children!) using the remains of my "Shop Local" card.  
But one place I wasn't going near was M&S, as the style of jumper there that I was looking for would have cost me more than I David "Ebenezer" Campton was prepared to pay. They do have a more explicitly "Christmas" line around the pricepoint I ultimately spent in a shop that used to have the label of St. Bernard in contrast to M&S's St. Michael. Although I was slightly bemused subsequently to learn that in this increasingly secularised world St. Bernard hasn't been a thing since 2013, and St. Michael disappeared in the early 2000s... Shows how much I shop! Apparently St. Michael is making a comeback as a brand "for young people" which puzzles me greatly... But then branding and marketing and all that stuff is a complete mystery to me...
Which brings back to that slightly lower priced seasonal range at M&S... It has received a perhaps unexpected viral-marketing plug from thousands of my female clerical colleagues wearing the jumper emblazoned with the word "Believe" on it... There has been no equivalent of massed clergymen wearing the male equivalent as it doesn't say "Believe" but "Ding Dong", and for those old enough to make the connection, has unfortunate resonances of Leslie Phillips which in the post #MeToo era male clerics would do well to eschew.
But I am in two minds about this "Believe" thing... 
If it gets people talking about belief and faith at all then that's good...
As is giving women ministers a prominent place in the public eye... Especially in a season, where, as a friend pointed out on social media this morning, the men are either silenced (Zechariah) or silent (Joseph) while their wives are the ones who first express a sense of belief/faith...
However... to what is this exhortation to "Believe" referring?
Belief in Santa Claus that keeps the beancounters going "Ho! Ho! Ho!"?
Belief in our political masters despite the evidence of our own eyes?
Belief in human endurance and ingenuity to see us through this global catastrophe, despite the best efforts of those referred to above?
Belief in God as defined in some more formal religious creed, even if the finest theologians will debate the meaning of and continuing validity of the various historical formulations?
Belief in God in the more relational sense of trust in a personal, if undefined, deity?
Belief in belief either as a magic concept that will deliver our hopes and dreams to us, or as a religious shibboleth, getting us into the club and the after-show party?

What do we really believe in? 

Selah

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LentArt: Washing the Disciples' Feet

Today's #LentArt post is "The washing of the disciples' feet" by Ghislaine Howard, another piece from the wonderful Methodist Modern Art Collection. It has clearly struck a chord with a number of people, and I am delighted that tonight's guest blog is by my friend and fellow 4 Corners Director, Father Martin Magill, who, he will be embarrassed to have me say, is for me the epitome of a servant leader. Indeed it was interesting to have a friend and artist respond to my earlier post saying that this time last year she remembers having her feet washed by Martin... How much has changed in a year: This painting (completed in 2004) was inspired by these words from the gospel of John in today's lectionary:  Jesus knew that the Father had delivered all things into His hands, and that He had come from God and was returning to God. So He got up from the supper, laid aside His outer garments, and wrapped a towel around His waist. After that, He poured water ...

Living under the Empire... (2) Where is Babylon?

We were driving back from school last week, talking about books that we had been reading and my younger son, Ciaran, asked me "Where is Babylon?" I have to confess that my history is better than my geography, and I said that it no longer exists as an inhabited city, but its ruins were to the north west of the current capital of Iraq, Baghdad. When I checked however, I discovered that it is actually about 50 miles south of Baghdad and the modern town is the administrative centre of the province of Babil... But just as the modern city is but a shadow of the historic capital of 2 ancient empires, first under Hammurabi in the 18th century BCE and then the "Neo-Babylonian" empire (under Nebuchadnezzar etc) in the 6th century BCE, so the earthly Babylonian empire/s was/were fleeting in comparison to the enduring metaphorical idea of Babylon. The original Empire under Hammurabi was probably the ultimate origin of some of the early Biblical stories, including the ...

A Woman of no Distinction

Don't often post other people's stuff here... But I found this so powerful that I thought I should. It's a performance poem based on John 4: 4-30, and I have attached the original YouTube video below. A word for women, and men, everywhere... "to be known is to be loved, and to be loved is to be known." I am a woman of no distinction of little importance. I am a women of no reputation save that which is bad. You whisper as I pass by and cast judgmental glances, Though you don’t really take the time to look at me, Or even get to know me. For to be known is to be loved, And to be loved is to be known. Otherwise what’s the point in doing either one of them in the first place? I WANT TO BE KNOWN. I want someone to look at my face And not just see two eyes, a nose, a mouth and two ears; But to see all that I am, and could be all my hopes, loves and fears. But that’s too much to hope for, to wish for, or pray for So I don’t, not anymore. Now I keep to myself And by that ...