Skip to main content

Are our revels about to end?

On Valentine's Day my wonderful wife gave me a card. This was unusual. Not just because we don't usually do Valentine's Day stuff, but because in it was the promise of an overnight in Stratford on Avon to see the RSC production of the Tempest which ends tonight. She had conspired with my PA to reschedule my meetings and spirit me away for 36 hours on Thursday and Friday of this week as a wee pick-me-up. We usually head off for a day or two at least the week after the 4 Corners Festival, but that wasn't possible this year because I had some work meetings and deadlines that week, and Sally had to go visit her mum in Scotland. So this little sojourn was very welcome. Doubly so because it was a surprise. Trebly so because The Tempest was the first Shakespeare play I ever performed in, nearly 43 years ago, and so it holds a special place in my heart, despite being one of the Bard's less accessible pieces.

I deliberately didn't read any of the reviews of the show once I knew we were going, but had picked up some of the predictably reactionary foaming at the mouth in some quarters at this "woke" production with Alex Kingston as a female Prospero (all I will say now is that she was superb - but I will return to her performance again), and a climate crisis meta-narrative. Why not, I thought, with a play that begins with a man- (or in this case, woman-) made weather catastrophe?

The programme probably overplayed the "green-book"/sustainability credentials of the show and the RSC going forward - welcome to the world of other less subsidised theatre companies that have always re-used, recycled and sustainably sourced props and costumes! But the post-apocalyptic aesthetic of the design, and embedding it relatively comfortably into the original text without much violence to it, shifted the focus from this only being a personal, or at broadest a political drama affecting obscure renaissance Italian city states, to one that speaks into the current global existential crisis. 

They did radically alter the masque of blessing by the 3 Roman Goddesses, removing, among others, the line "Great Juno comes; I know her by her gait", which was often a source of hilarity among catty cast-members, if not with audiences. Instead they turned it into a neo-pagan blessing of Miranda and Ferdinand's unlikely instant romance, painting a picture of a future where the next generation could look forward to harmony between them and with a bountiful, beautiful creation.

But immediately after that with the dancing and singing spirits dispersed, Prospero descends into despair. The following speech is the beginnings of a blurring between what is happening on the stage and what is going on in the "real" world, a trajectory completed with Prospero's closing Epilogue. Most have seen it as a nod by the author of his coming retirement, and with that in mind most deliveries of these two speeches come across as a theatrical swansong, particularly when performed by some aging leading male actor who had played all the Shakespearean heroes in his time and now only has Prospero and Lear left open to them, before they start sliding down the pecking order into character parts. This usually makes these speeches poignant. 

But delivered here, by a wonderful woman who hopefully has many  other stage roles to come, against the background of the production's climate crisis theme, the interface between dramatic artifice and global reality is again blurred. However this time it didn't just coax a tear out of my eye at the waning of a great talent, but genuinely reducing me to a weeping wreck at the reality of existential threat through a man-made climate and environmental catastrophe. In a week where the founder of the Green Party suggested that it is now too late to avert widespread environmental collapse, perhaps the "revels" of the wealthy west will soon end, and all that we have erected, including the "cloud capped towers" will fade away...

Our revels now are ended. These our actors,
As I foretold you, were all spirits and
Are melted into air, into thin air:
And, like the baseless fabric of this vision,
The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces,
The solemn temples, the great globe itself,
Ye all which it inherit, shall dissolve
And, like this insubstantial pageant faded,
Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff
As dreams are made on, and our little life
Is rounded with a sleep.

Further reflections from this "comedy" to come when I find time... but perhaps our time, and not just mine, is running out

Selah

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Woman of no Distinction

Don't often post other people's stuff here... But I found this so powerful that I thought I should. It's a performance poem based on John 4: 4-30, and I have attached the original YouTube video below. A word for women, and men, everywhere... "to be known is to be loved, and to be loved is to be known." I am a woman of no distinction of little importance. I am a women of no reputation save that which is bad. You whisper as I pass by and cast judgmental glances, Though you don’t really take the time to look at me, Or even get to know me. For to be known is to be loved, And to be loved is to be known. Otherwise what’s the point in doing either one of them in the first place? I WANT TO BE KNOWN. I want someone to look at my face And not just see two eyes, a nose, a mouth and two ears; But to see all that I am, and could be all my hopes, loves and fears. But that’s too much to hope for, to wish for, or pray for So I don’t, not anymore. Now I keep to myself And by that

Psalm for Harvest Sunday

A short responsive psalm for us as a call to worship on Harvest Thanksgiving Sunday, and given that it was pouring with rain as I headed into church this morning the first line is an important remembrance that the rain we moan about is an important component of the fruitfulness of the land we live in: You tend the land and water it And the earth produces its abundance. You crown each year with your bounty, and our storehouses overflow with your goodness. The mountain meadows are covered with flocks and the valleys are filled with corn; Your people celebrate your boundless grace They shout for joy and sing. from Psalm 65

Living under the Empire... (2) Where is Babylon?

We were driving back from school last week, talking about books that we had been reading and my younger son, Ciaran, asked me "Where is Babylon?" I have to confess that my history is better than my geography, and I said that it no longer exists as an inhabited city, but its ruins were to the north west of the current capital of Iraq, Baghdad. When I checked however, I discovered that it is actually about 50 miles south of Baghdad and the modern town is the administrative centre of the province of Babil... But just as the modern city is but a shadow of the historic capital of 2 ancient empires, first under Hammurabi in the 18th century BCE and then the "Neo-Babylonian" empire (under Nebuchadnezzar etc) in the 6th century BCE, so the earthly Babylonian empire/s was/were fleeting in comparison to the enduring metaphorical idea of Babylon. The original Empire under Hammurabi was probably the ultimate origin of some of the early Biblical stories, including the &quo