Skip to main content

Incarnate Invitation


"Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you’ll recover your life. I’ll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won’t lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you’ll learn to live freely and lightly.”
Matthew 11:28-30 (The Message)

Even without the attribution at the bottom of this quotation, many who have attended church in the past 20 years will be familiar with Eugene Peterson's free translation of Jesus' famous invitation, more traditionally rendered as:
Come to me, all you that are weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.’
Matthew 11:28-30 (NRSVA)

Both sum up the compassion that I believe lies at the heart of Jesus' good news, and at its best the church should be the continuing incarnation of these words. The current President of the Methodist Church in Ireland has taken these verses as the theme for his year in office, and is, month by month, exploring the various spiritual disciplines, or what Wesley referred to as "means of grace" that will help us, in Peterson's words "Learn the unforced rhythms of grace."

However, we have to be honest that the institutional Church, and we as individual Christians, have not been good at incarnating these words or learning these rhythms. Which is why, perhaps Peterson's description of people "burned out on religion" resonates so much. That burn-out can come about for various reasons...

Within the context of Matthew's Gospel most Christians, rightly see Jesus as contrasting his invitation with the form of Jewish religious faith offered by the Pharisees and Sadducees and others at that time. Matthew is probably emphasising this contrast, particularly with Pharisaism, throughout his Gospel because of the battle for the way that Judaism (of which the embryonic church was a part) would express itself in the wake of the destruction of the Temple.

What we don't often recognise is that there is as profound a struggle going on at present for the future of the Church in the wake of the collapse of Christendom, with many offering not co much a conservative as a reactionary, rules-based reading of Christianity that, I would argue, is more in keeping with Pharisaism than Christianity. Some are dressed in traditional garb and claim, in one form or other, to be the embodiment of the apostolic succession. Others are dressed in more contemporary garb, with all manner of technological enhancements, and yet, ironically claim to be getting back to the New Testament Church (which as I often point out was so dysfunctional that it required Paul and others to write the letters that make up the And lots of people are getting caught in the crossfire of that struggle. Some are walking wounded. Others are finished with faith.

But we also often miss that this invitation also comes the chapter after Matthew records Jesus sending out the Twelve on mission... and I do wonder whether it is aimed at the Twelve as much as anyone else, and that some of the weariness and burn-out that he is offering relief from is as a result of the unresponsiveness that Jesus atypically condemns earlier chapter 11. And again, how many who were fervent evangelicals and even evangelists in earlier years today have either given up on faith altogether, have retreated into the "spiritual/but not religious" sphere, or have found a corner of a cathedral where they can meet with God anonymously without committing to the messy business of engaging with other Christians?

For all of them, and a wounded, weary world, which, in general runs a million miles from what the church is currently offering them, we need more incarnate expressions of Jesus' invitation above. Places of sanctuary where people can come and encounter Christ in the here and now without being fitted immediately for some ill-fitting yoke. I am seeing some expressions of this across the religious landscape in Northern Ireland, but not enough. Perhaps because those of us in leadership roles are still servicing the model of Church that was a feature of Christendom. Congregations that delivered "services" (indeed that is what we still call our meetings for worship) that were beneficial to wider society. The crumbling edifice of that form of Church can no longer sustain that demand... Seeking to do so is creating more weary, worn-out, burned-out, burdened people... and as such it profoundly anti-Christian.

So, if there are to be more of these places of sanctuary, incarnating Christ's invitation to the walking wounded we first need to stop some of the things that are burdensome... Open up spaces in diaries, hearts and minds... Respond to Christ's invitation for ourselves, before then exploring how we might incarnate his words of invitation for others...
Selah







Comments

Tanya Orr said…
Thank you David for putting into words a lot if what I have been feeling for a while. I'm currently on a sabbatical from church

Popular posts from this blog

A Woman of no Distinction

Don't often post other people's stuff here... But I found this so powerful that I thought I should. It's a performance poem based on John 4: 4-30, and I have attached the original YouTube video below. A word for women, and men, everywhere... "to be known is to be loved, and to be loved is to be known." I am a woman of no distinction of little importance. I am a women of no reputation save that which is bad. You whisper as I pass by and cast judgmental glances, Though you don’t really take the time to look at me, Or even get to know me. For to be known is to be loved, And to be loved is to be known. Otherwise what’s the point in doing either one of them in the first place? I WANT TO BE KNOWN. I want someone to look at my face And not just see two eyes, a nose, a mouth and two ears; But to see all that I am, and could be all my hopes, loves and fears. But that’s too much to hope for, to wish for, or pray for So I don’t, not anymore. Now I keep to myself And by that

Psalm for Harvest Sunday

A short responsive psalm for us as a call to worship on Harvest Thanksgiving Sunday, and given that it was pouring with rain as I headed into church this morning the first line is an important remembrance that the rain we moan about is an important component of the fruitfulness of the land we live in: You tend the land and water it And the earth produces its abundance. You crown each year with your bounty, and our storehouses overflow with your goodness. The mountain meadows are covered with flocks and the valleys are filled with corn; Your people celebrate your boundless grace They shout for joy and sing. from Psalm 65

Living under the Empire... (2) Where is Babylon?

We were driving back from school last week, talking about books that we had been reading and my younger son, Ciaran, asked me "Where is Babylon?" I have to confess that my history is better than my geography, and I said that it no longer exists as an inhabited city, but its ruins were to the north west of the current capital of Iraq, Baghdad. When I checked however, I discovered that it is actually about 50 miles south of Baghdad and the modern town is the administrative centre of the province of Babil... But just as the modern city is but a shadow of the historic capital of 2 ancient empires, first under Hammurabi in the 18th century BCE and then the "Neo-Babylonian" empire (under Nebuchadnezzar etc) in the 6th century BCE, so the earthly Babylonian empire/s was/were fleeting in comparison to the enduring metaphorical idea of Babylon. The original Empire under Hammurabi was probably the ultimate origin of some of the early Biblical stories, including the &quo