Skip to main content

Discovering What's Already There

 Bishop Alan Abernethy & Jim Deeds
photo courtesy of Neil Craigan

Who “discovered” America? Columbus? Amerigo Vespucci? Sir Henry Sinclair of Orkney? Chinese admiral Zheng? Leif Erikson? Brendan the Navigator? (Ask Professor Google that question some time and descend into a deep and distracting rabbit hole...)
Or perhaps some unknown hunter gatherer crossing the land bridge between Siberia and Alaska sometime shortly after the last ice age, pursuing their next meal?
The thing is, despite the mythology that has grown up around each of the named individuals above, and our espousal of their credentials, often dependent on own ethnicity and background, the landmass that we know as America has been there since before human beings walked this planet or sailed its seas.
That is true of “Jesus in the Other.” Christ has never been our exclusive possession, whoever we may be. The missiological myth of “taking Jesus” to others, be they people in the “new” world, ripe for conversion as we colonise their land, or those of different religious traditions, has had a profound impact on our attitude to the other, particularly, such as here in Ireland, when different Christian denominations have essentially dechristianised each other.
Last night my friend and fellow 4 Corners organiser, Jim Deeds and Bishop Alan Abernethy, former CoI Bishop of Connor, launched the book that they have co-authored “Discovering Jesus in the Other: Challenging the Myth of Otherness” as part of this year’s 4 Corners Festival. As Steve Stockman said in his introduction, this book, based around the stories of Jim, a Catholic layperson from West Belfast and Alan, an Anglican Bishop from the East, is the epitome of this year’s theme “Our Stories: Towards a Culture of Hope.” But the launch was even more than that: not only did we have the different backgrounds of the authors, collaborating as we hope our new FM and DFM will find it possible to do, but it involved Ruth Patterson, a female Presbyterian minister, offering her reflections on the book alongside Archbishop Noel Trainor, erstwhile Catholic Bishop of Down and Connor, all within the South Belfast Methodist Agape centre, with an audience drawn from all over the city and beyond... as such it was the very epitome of 4 Corners full stop.
Seeing Jesus in the other lies right at the heart of the spirituality of the two authors... But even with that it is not always easy to work together to create something coherent and helpful... I haven’t yet read the book, but Noel Trainor noted that whilst it has two authors it has a single heart and mind running through it. Jim attributed that to the editor, but I suspect he doth protest too much. As a long-time collaborator with Jim on 4 Corners’ Wonderful Wander (come join us for what might well be a wet walk starting at Marshwiggle Way on Saturday), right at the centre of his “genius” is the ability to bring out the best in others. It’s there to be seen in his facilitation of events, for those who have worked with him over the years through the Living Church Project and subsequently, or in his writing partnership with Brendan McManus.
Ruth Patterson noted the reference to her late, longterm friend Monsignor Tom Toner in the book as a major influence on Jim’s life. My engagement with Tom, largely through our shared work with Belfast City Council’s Good Relations Committee, the late lamented Gerry Reynolds, and my colleague in Forthspring Sister Noreen Christian, did a lot to open my eyes to Jesus in those who I had once been taught to think of as other. I didn’t discover Jesus there... He had been there all the time, just unknown to me...
My 4 Corners friends Jim, Ed Peterson and Father Martin Magill have, to a large extent, stepped into the shoes of those giants... But last night again reminded me to continue to be open to seeing Jesus in places and people that we have traditionally “written off...”
And that includes those who I, in my self-righteous intolerance, have arrogantly written off as too narrow and intolerant...
Selah

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Woman of no Distinction

Don't often post other people's stuff here... But I found this so powerful that I thought I should. It's a performance poem based on John 4: 4-30, and I have attached the original YouTube video below. A word for women, and men, everywhere... "to be known is to be loved, and to be loved is to be known." I am a woman of no distinction of little importance. I am a women of no reputation save that which is bad. You whisper as I pass by and cast judgmental glances, Though you don’t really take the time to look at me, Or even get to know me. For to be known is to be loved, And to be loved is to be known. Otherwise what’s the point in doing either one of them in the first place? I WANT TO BE KNOWN. I want someone to look at my face And not just see two eyes, a nose, a mouth and two ears; But to see all that I am, and could be all my hopes, loves and fears. But that’s too much to hope for, to wish for, or pray for So I don’t, not anymore. Now I keep to myself And by that

Psalm for Harvest Sunday

A short responsive psalm for us as a call to worship on Harvest Thanksgiving Sunday, and given that it was pouring with rain as I headed into church this morning the first line is an important remembrance that the rain we moan about is an important component of the fruitfulness of the land we live in: You tend the land and water it And the earth produces its abundance. You crown each year with your bounty, and our storehouses overflow with your goodness. The mountain meadows are covered with flocks and the valleys are filled with corn; Your people celebrate your boundless grace They shout for joy and sing. from Psalm 65

Living under the Empire... (2) Where is Babylon?

We were driving back from school last week, talking about books that we had been reading and my younger son, Ciaran, asked me "Where is Babylon?" I have to confess that my history is better than my geography, and I said that it no longer exists as an inhabited city, but its ruins were to the north west of the current capital of Iraq, Baghdad. When I checked however, I discovered that it is actually about 50 miles south of Baghdad and the modern town is the administrative centre of the province of Babil... But just as the modern city is but a shadow of the historic capital of 2 ancient empires, first under Hammurabi in the 18th century BCE and then the "Neo-Babylonian" empire (under Nebuchadnezzar etc) in the 6th century BCE, so the earthly Babylonian empire/s was/were fleeting in comparison to the enduring metaphorical idea of Babylon. The original Empire under Hammurabi was probably the ultimate origin of some of the early Biblical stories, including the &quo