Skip to main content

The Gift of Hope


O wad some Pow’r the giftie gie us
To see oursels as others see us!


Last Thursday I had the honour of being invited to deliver the “Selkirk Grace” at the beginning of the Linen Quarter’s Burns Supper in the salubrious surroundings of the Grand Central Hotel in the heart of Belfast. I did not don a kilt for the occasion. No-one needs to be subjected to the sight of my legs before a meal... Instead I donned a newly purchased tartan bow tie, as my wife, who is from from Burns country, would not let me out of the house without some nod to her homeland... However, it was a “Tyrone” tartan, with a nod to my own family’s origins (who knew that Tyrone had a tartan?)

Among the various bits of Burns poetry quoted, in the original or in “English” translation the above quote was sadly not included. It is from the last verse of Burns poem “To a Louse”, where the author sees this “ugly, creepan, blastet wonner” on a fine lady’s bonnet at church, and thinks that if she could see it herself, she might not carry herself in such a haughty manner.

This Thursday I was dressed somewhat differently at the opening event of the 2024 #4CornersFestival: the launch of the photography exhibition “A Culture of Hope” at ArtCetera Studio in Rosemary Street, organised by Westcourt Camera Club, a collaboration with a number of local groups and services supporting minority groups and people who have arrived in Belfast from other countries.

It was a great start to the festival. The gallery was packed to the doors with members of the club, 4 Corners veterans, the subjects of some of the photographs, activists who work in the field of supporting immigrants, members of minority communities, refugees and asylum seekers, and those who frequent Belfast’s “Late Night Art” events on a regular basis.

The photographs, most of which were portraits, were stunning, and the accompanying stories were very moving. Not just because of the harrowing circumstances that brought many of the people portrayed to our city, but also because many of them reflected such a positive perspective on our oft derided city.
I have sometimes worked with those who have been on the receiving end of racist attacks, and we are all familiar with those stories in our news media. They should not happen. But they are a small minority of cases in proportion to the wider experience I am told.

I have also had first hand experience of the callousness and calculated cruelty of Home Office policy and practice with regard to refugees and asylum seekers, and even, at times those from other nations who want to live here because of marriage or for vocational reasons. It isn’t always racist at heart, but sometimes (especially when you compare the fates of African and Middle-Eastern asylum-seekers with those from Ukraine) it seems like that. It is certainly pandering to the most xenophobic sectors of our community.

But I heard and read very little of that last night.

One couple wrote:

“Our journey from the heart of India to the welcoming shores of Belfast is a narrative woven with threads of positivity, hope and resilience of an ethnic minority family finding a home away from home.... Belfast is not just a city; it is a beacon that illuminated our journey with the promise of belonging and shared dreams. As we continue to navigate the alleyways of this city, our hearts are filled with gratitude and hope.”

Another wrote:

“We think Belfast is one of the most inspiring cities in the world. It has got a heart and soul. It is rich in diversity, natural beauty, culture and heritage.”

I sought out both couples, and others who wrote similar things, and said thank you to them for giving us the gift of seeing our city through different eyes.

 
Too often we see the negatives in ourselves and our city. Yes there are times that “the louse” crawling in our bonnets need to be pointed out. But it was encouraging, if only for a night, “To see oursels as others see us!” 

Pop along to the ArtCetera Studio between now and Sunday 11th February to see the exhibition for yourselves.

Selah

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Woman of no Distinction

Don't often post other people's stuff here... But I found this so powerful that I thought I should. It's a performance poem based on John 4: 4-30, and I have attached the original YouTube video below. A word for women, and men, everywhere... "to be known is to be loved, and to be loved is to be known." I am a woman of no distinction of little importance. I am a women of no reputation save that which is bad. You whisper as I pass by and cast judgmental glances, Though you don’t really take the time to look at me, Or even get to know me. For to be known is to be loved, And to be loved is to be known. Otherwise what’s the point in doing either one of them in the first place? I WANT TO BE KNOWN. I want someone to look at my face And not just see two eyes, a nose, a mouth and two ears; But to see all that I am, and could be all my hopes, loves and fears. But that’s too much to hope for, to wish for, or pray for So I don’t, not anymore. Now I keep to myself And by that

Psalm for Harvest Sunday

A short responsive psalm for us as a call to worship on Harvest Thanksgiving Sunday, and given that it was pouring with rain as I headed into church this morning the first line is an important remembrance that the rain we moan about is an important component of the fruitfulness of the land we live in: You tend the land and water it And the earth produces its abundance. You crown each year with your bounty, and our storehouses overflow with your goodness. The mountain meadows are covered with flocks and the valleys are filled with corn; Your people celebrate your boundless grace They shout for joy and sing. from Psalm 65

Living under the Empire... (2) Where is Babylon?

We were driving back from school last week, talking about books that we had been reading and my younger son, Ciaran, asked me "Where is Babylon?" I have to confess that my history is better than my geography, and I said that it no longer exists as an inhabited city, but its ruins were to the north west of the current capital of Iraq, Baghdad. When I checked however, I discovered that it is actually about 50 miles south of Baghdad and the modern town is the administrative centre of the province of Babil... But just as the modern city is but a shadow of the historic capital of 2 ancient empires, first under Hammurabi in the 18th century BCE and then the "Neo-Babylonian" empire (under Nebuchadnezzar etc) in the 6th century BCE, so the earthly Babylonian empire/s was/were fleeting in comparison to the enduring metaphorical idea of Babylon. The original Empire under Hammurabi was probably the ultimate origin of some of the early Biblical stories, including the &quo