Skip to main content

Rorywood and Other Name Changes

Back to to the desk and back to blogging, tho I probably won't be as regular as during Lent... But this morning I'm posting a slightly adapted piece that went out as a Thought for the Day on Good Morning Ulster. If you want to hear my pre-breakfast growl, then you can find it at 25 minutes and 84 minutes in to this morning's edition, for a brief period.

Before coming into the studio this morning I had get up at stupid o’clock to drop my eldest son to school in Holywood, as he’s heading off on a Duke of Edinburgh expedition… But I notice that they’ve now got signs outside the town pronouncing it to be Holywood, Home of Rory McIlroy… Now given that our Rory currently spends more of his time closer to the other marginally more famous Hollywood… you know, the one in California with 2 L’s and sunshine… there are those who suggest that this is a bit much… But at least they didn’t go the whole hog and actually change the name to Rorywood… Yet... 

We’ve got a thing about renaming places at the moment… on the way in from Holywood I passed both the George Best Belfast City Airport and the irony-free zone that is the Titanic Quarter… 

Then last night I read about the current controversial proposal by a Belfast City Council committee to rename Fishers Court in North Belfast as McGurk’s Way, after the nearby McGurk's Bar bombing, in 1971 when fifteen Catholics died. The proposal was passed, but on a split vote, and it will now be considered at the next full meeting of the council, after having been narrowly defeated last year. 

There are those who understandably worry that this sets a precedent for remembering every atrocity in the troubles with a changed street name… The question is, would there be enough streets? Because, frankly, the topography of Northern Ireland has irrevocably changed due to our history of strife… Our towns and cities are criss-crossed by interfaces that mark the gaping wounds of sectarianism… And whilst our city streets and country lanes may not have been renamed to remember what went on, they are pot-holed with memories, into which we unwarily drive from time to time, preventing us building up any kind of momentum towards a genuinely shared future. 

We have got to find a way of healthily dealing with the past… 

In the Bible, one of the ways that certain things were remembered and others forgotten was by changing a place’s name… Jacob remembered one encounter with God at a place called Luz by renaming it Beth-El… the house of God… And after the conquest of the holy land the Israelites renamed towns and cities to remove names that were associated with pagan gods. 

Might renaming certain streets be part of our process of healing of memories? Perhaps… but maybe instead of naming them after tragedies in the past (or celebrities living or dead, animate or inanimate), let’s name them after things we aspire to – Hope Way… Reconciliation Walk… Peace Parade…

Selah


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LentArt: Washing the Disciples' Feet

Today's #LentArt post is "The washing of the disciples' feet" by Ghislaine Howard, another piece from the wonderful Methodist Modern Art Collection. It has clearly struck a chord with a number of people, and I am delighted that tonight's guest blog is by my friend and fellow 4 Corners Director, Father Martin Magill, who, he will be embarrassed to have me say, is for me the epitome of a servant leader. Indeed it was interesting to have a friend and artist respond to my earlier post saying that this time last year she remembers having her feet washed by Martin... How much has changed in a year: This painting (completed in 2004) was inspired by these words from the gospel of John in today's lectionary:  Jesus knew that the Father had delivered all things into His hands, and that He had come from God and was returning to God. So He got up from the supper, laid aside His outer garments, and wrapped a towel around His waist. After that, He poured water ...

Living under the Empire... (2) Where is Babylon?

We were driving back from school last week, talking about books that we had been reading and my younger son, Ciaran, asked me "Where is Babylon?" I have to confess that my history is better than my geography, and I said that it no longer exists as an inhabited city, but its ruins were to the north west of the current capital of Iraq, Baghdad. When I checked however, I discovered that it is actually about 50 miles south of Baghdad and the modern town is the administrative centre of the province of Babil... But just as the modern city is but a shadow of the historic capital of 2 ancient empires, first under Hammurabi in the 18th century BCE and then the "Neo-Babylonian" empire (under Nebuchadnezzar etc) in the 6th century BCE, so the earthly Babylonian empire/s was/were fleeting in comparison to the enduring metaphorical idea of Babylon. The original Empire under Hammurabi was probably the ultimate origin of some of the early Biblical stories, including the ...

A Woman of no Distinction

Don't often post other people's stuff here... But I found this so powerful that I thought I should. It's a performance poem based on John 4: 4-30, and I have attached the original YouTube video below. A word for women, and men, everywhere... "to be known is to be loved, and to be loved is to be known." I am a woman of no distinction of little importance. I am a women of no reputation save that which is bad. You whisper as I pass by and cast judgmental glances, Though you don’t really take the time to look at me, Or even get to know me. For to be known is to be loved, And to be loved is to be known. Otherwise what’s the point in doing either one of them in the first place? I WANT TO BE KNOWN. I want someone to look at my face And not just see two eyes, a nose, a mouth and two ears; But to see all that I am, and could be all my hopes, loves and fears. But that’s too much to hope for, to wish for, or pray for So I don’t, not anymore. Now I keep to myself And by that ...