Skip to main content

Work and Leisure

My Mum (on right)
with colleagues from
Ingli
The marriage of
Thomas James Campton and
Margaret Kathleen Porter
in St. Patrick's Parish Church,
Newtownards Road.
After leaving Mersey Street School at 14 my Mum got a job in Inglis’s Bakery at East Bread Street, in the midst of the war, working on the biscuit factory floor. During this time he met and subsequently married my Dad on 4th June 1947 at the age of 19. We're not sure whether she stayed on in Inglis's after her marriage, but she certainly left before her first son, Robert was born in 1948. Those were the days when frequently marriage, and usually pregnancy  meant that a woman lost her job. There were no maternity or equality rights of any sort. But my Mum had a strong work ethic, and money was in short supply, so even though she was no longer working in Inglis's, shortly after Robert was born she was working just across the road in Robb’s Fruit shop – the “second shop” just below the Albertbridge Road/Newtownards Road junction.

She stayed working there after the birth of William and even after the family had moved from Solway Street up to Carolhill, indeed she was working there right up until shortly before my own birth in 1965. Because of this, in many ways both my older brothers were “brought up” by my Mum’s Mum, who was living round in Island Street at the time, prior to my Grandfather’s return from Derry. 

My Aunt Lily, who also lived there was also a big feature in their lives. She loved the movies and regularly took both boys, especially William, with her to the local cinemas. Indeed cinema had also apparently played a big part in the courtship of my Mum and Dad, as it did in the lives of many in those days, although my Dad, ever the romantic, only commented to us about getting annoyed because of always ending up with chocolate stains on his good suit. 

In latter years it was William who in turn introduced me to cinema. Allegedly the first movie he took me to was “The Love Bug" but the first I can remember was “Chitty Chitty Bang Bang”, both in the Astoria at Ballyhackamore. The only time either of my parents took my younger brother and I to the cinema, apart from the free showings on holiday at Butlins, was a showing of “The Island of Doctor Moreau" with Burt Lancaster at the Strand. It was truly awful. To this day I  can’t think why she took us to that one in particular. It seemed quite “scary" to take two young boys to, but is suspect that we pestered her having seen trailers at the aforesaid cinema in Butlins, and given that she liked Burt Lancaster and was partial to horror movies, she relented.

She used to love the late night horror double bill’s on TV on a Friday night, and again, one time she relented to me sitting up to watch a Hammer Horror with Christopher Lee as Dracula, when I was probably around 10 years old. I lasted about half way through the first one... and actually have never really learned to enjoy horror movies. I did,  however inherit her love of another movie genre, westerns and especially her favourite actor, John Wayne. 

While my dad preferred reading cowboy stories, my Mum preferred watching them. Indeed she didn’t read much at all. The occasional Mills and Boon, even when she was taking my brother and I to the mobile library every week. Her favourite form of relaxation was TV. I think we were probably the last family in the area to get a colour TV, and for many years it was, like most people’s in those days, rented from Radio Rentals on the Newtownards Road. Her preference was to watch a good movie, but in latter years she would watch anything (although she blamed me for getting her hooked on the Australian soap “A Country Practice”)... She was an avid Coronation Street fan (though never Crossroads), she loved quizzes, ranging from Bullseye  to Mastermind, and despite not being a follower of any other sport or sportsman (except Harvey Smith in show jumping strangely), she became a devotee of snooker on TV, from the early days of Pot Black (with its descriptions of where the different coloured balls were lying “for those watching in black and white”) through to the later night marathon final between Steve Davis and Dennis Taylor and beyond... She genuinely watched TV until the picture collapsed to the proverbial white dot in the middle of the screen... I'm not entirely sure she would ever have gone to bed after the advent of 24 hour TV.

Shalom

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Woman of no Distinction

Don't often post other people's stuff here... But I found this so powerful that I thought I should. It's a performance poem based on John 4: 4-30, and I have attached the original YouTube video below. A word for women, and men, everywhere... "to be known is to be loved, and to be loved is to be known." I am a woman of no distinction of little importance. I am a women of no reputation save that which is bad. You whisper as I pass by and cast judgmental glances, Though you don’t really take the time to look at me, Or even get to know me. For to be known is to be loved, And to be loved is to be known. Otherwise what’s the point in doing either one of them in the first place? I WANT TO BE KNOWN. I want someone to look at my face And not just see two eyes, a nose, a mouth and two ears; But to see all that I am, and could be all my hopes, loves and fears. But that’s too much to hope for, to wish for, or pray for So I don’t, not anymore. Now I keep to myself And by that

Psalm for Harvest Sunday

A short responsive psalm for us as a call to worship on Harvest Thanksgiving Sunday, and given that it was pouring with rain as I headed into church this morning the first line is an important remembrance that the rain we moan about is an important component of the fruitfulness of the land we live in: You tend the land and water it And the earth produces its abundance. You crown each year with your bounty, and our storehouses overflow with your goodness. The mountain meadows are covered with flocks and the valleys are filled with corn; Your people celebrate your boundless grace They shout for joy and sing. from Psalm 65

Anointed

There has been a lot of chatter on social media among some of my colleagues and others about the liturgical and socio-political niceties of Saturday's coronation and attendant festivities, especially the shielding of the anointing with the pictured spoon - the oldest and perhaps strangest of the coronation artefacts. Personally I thought that was at least an improvement on the cloth of gold canopy used in the previous coronation, but (pointless) debates are raging as to whether this is an ancient practice or was simply introduced in the previous service to shield the Queen from the TV cameras, not for purposes of sacredness, but understandable coyness, if she actually had to bare her breast bone in puritan 1950s Britain. But as any church leader knows, anything performed twice in a church becomes a tradition. All this goes to show that I did actually watch it, while doing other things - the whole shooting match from the pre-service concert with yer wumman in that lemon-