Skip to main content

EasterArt: Awkward Passages

I’ve been posting pieces of art on Facebook and Twitter based on some aspect of the Daily Lectionary readings since the beginning of Lent, an exercise I also engaged in from the beginning of Advent until Epiphany… I’ll probably continue this until Trinity Sunday and then clock off…

My process, as I outlined to someone a few weeks ago is that I do a lectio of the readings, with a key question guiding my second reading of the text being “what image comes out most strongly to you in these texts.” I then try to put that image into a few simple words. I then type them into Dr. Google (other search engines are available) and see what images are thrown up and whether any of them chime with the image that leapt out at me from the text. I rarely go down the purely illustrative route. I want images that make me (and others) rethink the text.

But today was the first day I ran into a brick wall. I wasn’t too sure whether it was because I have run into a brinck wall myself with this whole covid-19 lockdown, and it could be true… After all the previous day I genuinely only made it until 4pm before I felt I had to down tools for the day. But whilst that may have been part of it it wasn’t the full story.

The passages for the days were: Psalm 23; Exodus 3:16-22, 4:18-20; 1 Peter 2:13-17

I practically discounted Psalm 23 immediately as I had posted a number of “shepherd” images throughout advent and lent, and indeed the day before…

Exodus 3:16 - 4:20 only seemed to conjure up Victorian illustrated Bible images…  I was struck by the now proverbial-phrase “a land of milk and honey” but I couldn’t find any images that did it justice.

And I largely ignored 1 Peter 2:13-17… especially that bit about the emperor as the supreme authority and all that… I just didn't want to go there...

So I threw it open to my friends on Twitter and Facebook and I wasn’t exactly deluged in responses… Maybe they had the same difficulties I did… A few did come back however, largely looking at the Psalm 23, and I will shamelessly use a couple of their images tomorrow and Sunday where the shepherd metaphor is still a strong theme. 

Then my friend Ruth McBrien suggested the attached picture of Titian’s “The Tribute Money,” which of course is an illustration of that episode where It depicts the Pharisee try to trap Jesus on the matter of paying taxes to Caesar and he asks them to show him a coin and asking whose image is on it, before saying "Render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and unto God the things that are God's". This reference to this gospel story is a really interesting counterpoint to that passage from I Peter that I was frankly disturbed by, partly because it is often and has recently been cited to infer that we should always unquestioningly obey the civil authorities.

The reference by Jesus to Caesar/God is also often brought to bear on this question, and indeed, there is a suggestion that this particular painting was created at the behest of a secular ruler who wanted the Pope as God’s representative on earth, to stay out of his affairs. Other artistic versions of this scene including another later one by Titian have Jesus not only pointing to the coin in the Pharisee’s hand but also using his other hand pointing “up there” to God.

But there is a danger in the division of things into the realms of God/Caesar, heaven/earth. Church/world, sacred/secular… and one that was never intended by Jesus in the first instance… Because whilst Jesus was saying that the coin with the blasphemous image on it was rightly the property of Caesar, what belongs to God is that with God’s image on it… ie us… all that we are, and have…

So in the light of that let me offer a brief covid-19 lockdown commentary on that passage that I previously ignored 1 Peter 2:13-17 :

Submit yourselves for the Lord’s sake to every human authority… 
Over recent weeks I have been urging people to stick to government guidelines in the hope that 
  1. They have a more complet picture and better advice than is at the disposal of you or I, even with the aid of Dr. Google.
  2. They are not entire malign… I may disagree with many of those in government in Westminster and at Stormont on a range of matters, but I am not entirely convinced that they would sacrifice my life or those of others to make a political point or swell their investment portfolios…
whether to the emperor, as the supreme authority, or to governors, who are sent by him to punish those who do wrong and to commend those who do right.
That is the reason that governments, democratic or not are there… Sadly they often don’t live up to their job description… Peter may have offered this advice, if Simon Peter actually wrote this letter as tradition tells us, but tradition also tells us he was crucified at Rome by the very authorities he was suggesting we obey… So governments may ultimately, and literally sacrifice you, me and others… God forbid that is what is happening now… But God will be the ultimate judge of that… and them…

For it is God’s will that by doing good you should silence the ignorant talk of foolish people.
Those “foolish people” are currently given platforms by social media, newspapers and talk shows to give vent to their nonsense… Be careful who you listen to… Particularly those who give voice to things that you would like to be true, but have no real evidence… They probably don’t have any more evidence either… Just as Jesus said “show me a coin” we should be saying “Show me the evidence…” even to those who suggest things like opening up churches again!

Live as free people, but do not use your freedom as a cover-up for evil; live as God’s slaves.
Freedom is an enormous privilege… and at the moment it is curtailed… But lets not use the liberty we do have in any way that will endanger others… Even at that point where Caesar says that we can open up churches again, lets not rush to do so… It might be financially helpful to get the collection plates operational again (just as it is important to get the whole economy operational again) but no-one’s life should be sacrificed to God or Caesar…

Show proper respect to everyone, love the family of believers,
Respect for the wellbeing of others should be our watchword at the moment… Loving not only our “family of believers” but all people… even those who traditionally would have been our enemies…

fear God, honour the emperor.
Again they’re not equals… God is to be feared… The emperor “honoured”… Although occasionally, as Hans Christian Anderson pointed out, to really honour him you do have to point that our esteemed Emperor has no clothes… 
Selah



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Woman of no Distinction

Don't often post other people's stuff here... But I found this so powerful that I thought I should. It's a performance poem based on John 4: 4-30, and I have attached the original YouTube video below. A word for women, and men, everywhere... "to be known is to be loved, and to be loved is to be known." I am a woman of no distinction of little importance. I am a women of no reputation save that which is bad. You whisper as I pass by and cast judgmental glances, Though you don’t really take the time to look at me, Or even get to know me. For to be known is to be loved, And to be loved is to be known. Otherwise what’s the point in doing either one of them in the first place? I WANT TO BE KNOWN. I want someone to look at my face And not just see two eyes, a nose, a mouth and two ears; But to see all that I am, and could be all my hopes, loves and fears. But that’s too much to hope for, to wish for, or pray for So I don’t, not anymore. Now I keep to myself And by that

Psalm for Harvest Sunday

A short responsive psalm for us as a call to worship on Harvest Thanksgiving Sunday, and given that it was pouring with rain as I headed into church this morning the first line is an important remembrance that the rain we moan about is an important component of the fruitfulness of the land we live in: You tend the land and water it And the earth produces its abundance. You crown each year with your bounty, and our storehouses overflow with your goodness. The mountain meadows are covered with flocks and the valleys are filled with corn; Your people celebrate your boundless grace They shout for joy and sing. from Psalm 65

Living under the Empire... (2) Where is Babylon?

We were driving back from school last week, talking about books that we had been reading and my younger son, Ciaran, asked me "Where is Babylon?" I have to confess that my history is better than my geography, and I said that it no longer exists as an inhabited city, but its ruins were to the north west of the current capital of Iraq, Baghdad. When I checked however, I discovered that it is actually about 50 miles south of Baghdad and the modern town is the administrative centre of the province of Babil... But just as the modern city is but a shadow of the historic capital of 2 ancient empires, first under Hammurabi in the 18th century BCE and then the "Neo-Babylonian" empire (under Nebuchadnezzar etc) in the 6th century BCE, so the earthly Babylonian empire/s was/were fleeting in comparison to the enduring metaphorical idea of Babylon. The original Empire under Hammurabi was probably the ultimate origin of some of the early Biblical stories, including the &quo