Skip to main content

The Visitation

"Pentecost" by Jyoti Sahi
"Pentecost" by Jyoti Sahi
For years I have been profoundly moved, and inspired by two poems which each deal with the liturgical anomaly of the Feast of the Annunciation and Good Friday coinciding: “The Annunciation and Passion” by John Donne, and “Good Friday falls on Lady Day” by G.A. Studdert Kennedy. 
This year The Feast of the Visitation of Mary to Elizabeth coincides with The Feast of Pentecost. Since the beginning of the Covid-19 Lockdown I have written almost nothing new. My mind has been too absorbed by other tasks. But this seemed an appropriate conjunction to prompt me writing. I am not bold enough to claim it as a product of inspiration, although I actually believe all forms of creativity are. 
Kennedy's poem begins with the line "And has our Lady lost Her place" and I suppose there is an element of pondering on that in this. And it is one of the reasons I love the piece of art I am attaching to this and will post as my #PentecostArt piece on social media. I was also torn between doing it as one of my more straightforward monologues, or a poem. It became an amalgam of both. 

We were back in that room again.
Where his friends had ate and drank with him
Where he had seemingly washed their feet
To some resistance;

Where they had been encouraged
To remember God’s deliverance
At Pesach,  before the Angel of Death
Visited once more;

Where he had promised them
That he would come again
And would send the Spirit to strengthen them, 
To take away their fear.

But he had gone from us, finally.
Ten days with no more sightings.
Though sadly, surprisingly, I had never seen him
Since laying him in the tomb.

That room had become my tomb.
A world where we ate and slept and prayed,
Since it was not safe for us to visit the Temple
For Shavuot.

Then it happened, unexpectedly
A sound of whooshing wind;
What seemed like dancing tongues of flame
And then the babble of praise.

The others spilled outside
To face the mocking crowds unfearful
But I held back, stayed indoors because
The story had moved on.

But my mind went way back
To the beginning, when I, fearfully
Went to visit my older cousin Elizabeth
To see if it were true.

As promised, she was pregnant,
And big bellied she greeted me singing
A song of blessing for me and the child within
Inspired by the Spirit.

I had come to visit her
And she had been visited by the Spirit.
But though our children had come and gone,
The Spirit had now come to stay.

My response that day with Elizabeth
was to sing a song of praise
And my response that day of Shavuot
alone in that room
Was to sing… unheard.

Selah

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Woman of no Distinction

Don't often post other people's stuff here... But I found this so powerful that I thought I should. It's a performance poem based on John 4: 4-30, and I have attached the original YouTube video below. A word for women, and men, everywhere... "to be known is to be loved, and to be loved is to be known." I am a woman of no distinction of little importance. I am a women of no reputation save that which is bad. You whisper as I pass by and cast judgmental glances, Though you don’t really take the time to look at me, Or even get to know me. For to be known is to be loved, And to be loved is to be known. Otherwise what’s the point in doing either one of them in the first place? I WANT TO BE KNOWN. I want someone to look at my face And not just see two eyes, a nose, a mouth and two ears; But to see all that I am, and could be all my hopes, loves and fears. But that’s too much to hope for, to wish for, or pray for So I don’t, not anymore. Now I keep to myself And by that

Psalm for Harvest Sunday

A short responsive psalm for us as a call to worship on Harvest Thanksgiving Sunday, and given that it was pouring with rain as I headed into church this morning the first line is an important remembrance that the rain we moan about is an important component of the fruitfulness of the land we live in: You tend the land and water it And the earth produces its abundance. You crown each year with your bounty, and our storehouses overflow with your goodness. The mountain meadows are covered with flocks and the valleys are filled with corn; Your people celebrate your boundless grace They shout for joy and sing. from Psalm 65

Living under the Empire... (2) Where is Babylon?

We were driving back from school last week, talking about books that we had been reading and my younger son, Ciaran, asked me "Where is Babylon?" I have to confess that my history is better than my geography, and I said that it no longer exists as an inhabited city, but its ruins were to the north west of the current capital of Iraq, Baghdad. When I checked however, I discovered that it is actually about 50 miles south of Baghdad and the modern town is the administrative centre of the province of Babil... But just as the modern city is but a shadow of the historic capital of 2 ancient empires, first under Hammurabi in the 18th century BCE and then the "Neo-Babylonian" empire (under Nebuchadnezzar etc) in the 6th century BCE, so the earthly Babylonian empire/s was/were fleeting in comparison to the enduring metaphorical idea of Babylon. The original Empire under Hammurabi was probably the ultimate origin of some of the early Biblical stories, including the &quo