Skip to main content

The Fellowship

Today I visited one of BCM's Sheltered Housing Projects for younger people, Tafelta Rise in Magherafelt, and was encouraged again by the hard work, compassion and creativity Richard Docherty and his team there, supported by innumerable statutory, charitable and community partners. This is only one of 4 such projects we run and I am so proud of the work of all of the staff that work in them under the inspirational leadership of our Head of Residential Services, Lois Payam.
But last week, ironically the day after World Mental Health Day, I was party to a series of conversations where the wellbeing of one of our young service users was being looked after, not only by our fabulous staff, but a group of online gamers he had been engaging with. These gamers demonstrated a perception, compassion and determination to get help for their fellow gamer that I have seldom seen in churches or flesh and blood groups of friends, never mind a group of people who had never met, perhaps living alone in many cases, in disparate places, separated by seas and oceans! I don't know what game they played together, be it one of the many fantasy ones as I surmise here, a "shoot-em-up" or some sci-fi thing... I am not a gamer. If I went down that particular rabbit hole I may never emerge... But this is my tribute to that caring band...
(ps. The Night Goblin referred to is a tribute to a flesh and blood friend who historically had a long term existence as one of these creatures, reputedly...)

An improbable band
Of virtual foes
And fantasy friends
Unite with a common goal.

They suspend their conflict
And online trash talk,
Gloating as each other dies,
To rise again repeatedly,

Because one of their number
Seems to have resolved
To leave the game and log off
Permanently.

He had no worthwhile quest
To pursue in the unvirtual world;
No dragons to slay
Save the ones in his head.

And so this unlikely fellowship
Of hobbit, orc and night-goblin,
Vampire, dwarf and wise wizard
Sought out this troubled traveller.

Knowing only each other’s handles
They emerged from clichéd remoteness
Worried for the wellbeing
Of their friend’s fleshy avatar.

Against the backdrop of pandemic
Of both virus and mental illness
This was, for me, a hope-filled
Sign of distant socialising.
Selah

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LentArt: Washing the Disciples' Feet

Today's #LentArt post is "The washing of the disciples' feet" by Ghislaine Howard, another piece from the wonderful Methodist Modern Art Collection. It has clearly struck a chord with a number of people, and I am delighted that tonight's guest blog is by my friend and fellow 4 Corners Director, Father Martin Magill, who, he will be embarrassed to have me say, is for me the epitome of a servant leader. Indeed it was interesting to have a friend and artist respond to my earlier post saying that this time last year she remembers having her feet washed by Martin... How much has changed in a year: This painting (completed in 2004) was inspired by these words from the gospel of John in today's lectionary:  Jesus knew that the Father had delivered all things into His hands, and that He had come from God and was returning to God. So He got up from the supper, laid aside His outer garments, and wrapped a towel around His waist. After that, He poured water ...

Living under the Empire... (2) Where is Babylon?

We were driving back from school last week, talking about books that we had been reading and my younger son, Ciaran, asked me "Where is Babylon?" I have to confess that my history is better than my geography, and I said that it no longer exists as an inhabited city, but its ruins were to the north west of the current capital of Iraq, Baghdad. When I checked however, I discovered that it is actually about 50 miles south of Baghdad and the modern town is the administrative centre of the province of Babil... But just as the modern city is but a shadow of the historic capital of 2 ancient empires, first under Hammurabi in the 18th century BCE and then the "Neo-Babylonian" empire (under Nebuchadnezzar etc) in the 6th century BCE, so the earthly Babylonian empire/s was/were fleeting in comparison to the enduring metaphorical idea of Babylon. The original Empire under Hammurabi was probably the ultimate origin of some of the early Biblical stories, including the ...

A Woman of no Distinction

Don't often post other people's stuff here... But I found this so powerful that I thought I should. It's a performance poem based on John 4: 4-30, and I have attached the original YouTube video below. A word for women, and men, everywhere... "to be known is to be loved, and to be loved is to be known." I am a woman of no distinction of little importance. I am a women of no reputation save that which is bad. You whisper as I pass by and cast judgmental glances, Though you don’t really take the time to look at me, Or even get to know me. For to be known is to be loved, And to be loved is to be known. Otherwise what’s the point in doing either one of them in the first place? I WANT TO BE KNOWN. I want someone to look at my face And not just see two eyes, a nose, a mouth and two ears; But to see all that I am, and could be all my hopes, loves and fears. But that’s too much to hope for, to wish for, or pray for So I don’t, not anymore. Now I keep to myself And by that ...