Skip to main content

Every Day...

"Every day's a school day." 
That glib cliché holds within it a truth that sits at the core of who I am.
I love learning things.
Facts... I don't retain them like I used to but my mind pick ups useless facts like a flypaper collects dipterans. I do also pick up a few useful facts along the way too, but they're not so much fun... many of these are historical dates, characters, events, etc 
Connections... partly because of how my mind works, many of these facts are woven into a web of unlikely connections and associations that cross a range of disciplines, only some of which I have any competence in... 
People... I am not great in social settings with people I don't know, unless there are enough of them for me to hide in the crowd or treat as an audience, but it's great when I do encounter new people with interesting stories or inspiring skills and talents. 
A sub-set of "new people" are those that I haven't encountered in person, but are new artists, authors, musicians etc that I have happened upon and have become my new best friends. When I occasionally encounter such people in the flesh or online I invariably fail to express adequately my admiration, not out of any attempt to stay cool, but out of inner fan boy embarrassment.
Insights... from encounters with new people (and engagement with interesting "old people"), my reading, and increasingly from podcasts (having largely abandoned mainstream radio) I continually gaiTom Whitwell, managing consultant at Magnetic.n new insights into the world and have my own perspectives challenged.
In spiritual terms this, for me, is essential. I have consistently suggested that those of us who claim to be Christians cannot call ourselves disciples of Jesus if we think we have learned all there is to learn spiritually. A disciple is a learner... 

In all these ways I am continually learning, and today, when listening to a favourite podcast "Freakonomics Radio" with Stephen Dubner, I came across Tom Whitwell, managing consultant at Magnetic, who, for a number of years has published on his website every December a list of 52 things he has learned in the previous year.

This has challenged me going forward, to reflect, with varying levels of profundity, on what I have learned in this day's "schoolday."

So starting tonight, and with my first "learning" gleaned from the podcast referenced above, I'm going to post on social media (probably Facebook and X/Twitter because they'll be short and text based and I don't understand TikTok or Insta) using the #EveryDaySchoolDay tag. 
Where it's a more complex piece of learning I might blog here and post the link, and I might do a weekly compilation here too... but for the most part it will be a short post with an embedded link or photo before I head bedwards...
I'd also be interested to learn what you've learned each day... so either feel free to stick yours on a comment to the original post or post your own using the hashtag
#EveryDaySchoolDay
The attached image  and quote by Steve Jobs sums up the spirit of this challenge, and could well be seen as today's "learning" as I had never come across it before goggling the phrase "Every day's a school day." But then I am not a fanboy of Jobs or his company's products... however it was better than another AZ Quote image directly citing the phrase featuring Baroness Michelle Mone wearing what I presume are one of her company's products... And I am not referring to PPE... 
You can look that up yourself without a link.

Cheers






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Woman of no Distinction

Don't often post other people's stuff here... But I found this so powerful that I thought I should. It's a performance poem based on John 4: 4-30, and I have attached the original YouTube video below. A word for women, and men, everywhere... "to be known is to be loved, and to be loved is to be known." I am a woman of no distinction of little importance. I am a women of no reputation save that which is bad. You whisper as I pass by and cast judgmental glances, Though you don’t really take the time to look at me, Or even get to know me. For to be known is to be loved, And to be loved is to be known. Otherwise what’s the point in doing either one of them in the first place? I WANT TO BE KNOWN. I want someone to look at my face And not just see two eyes, a nose, a mouth and two ears; But to see all that I am, and could be all my hopes, loves and fears. But that’s too much to hope for, to wish for, or pray for So I don’t, not anymore. Now I keep to myself And by that

Psalm for Harvest Sunday

A short responsive psalm for us as a call to worship on Harvest Thanksgiving Sunday, and given that it was pouring with rain as I headed into church this morning the first line is an important remembrance that the rain we moan about is an important component of the fruitfulness of the land we live in: You tend the land and water it And the earth produces its abundance. You crown each year with your bounty, and our storehouses overflow with your goodness. The mountain meadows are covered with flocks and the valleys are filled with corn; Your people celebrate your boundless grace They shout for joy and sing. from Psalm 65

Living under the Empire... (2) Where is Babylon?

We were driving back from school last week, talking about books that we had been reading and my younger son, Ciaran, asked me "Where is Babylon?" I have to confess that my history is better than my geography, and I said that it no longer exists as an inhabited city, but its ruins were to the north west of the current capital of Iraq, Baghdad. When I checked however, I discovered that it is actually about 50 miles south of Baghdad and the modern town is the administrative centre of the province of Babil... But just as the modern city is but a shadow of the historic capital of 2 ancient empires, first under Hammurabi in the 18th century BCE and then the "Neo-Babylonian" empire (under Nebuchadnezzar etc) in the 6th century BCE, so the earthly Babylonian empire/s was/were fleeting in comparison to the enduring metaphorical idea of Babylon. The original Empire under Hammurabi was probably the ultimate origin of some of the early Biblical stories, including the &quo