Skip to main content

Ekecheiria


I literally woke up this morning with an upset stomach in the wake of news stories of the knife attack in Southport, followed by shameful rioting, the consistently escalating conflict between Israel and its neighbours, with attacks that in recent days have resulted in the deaths of young people at school and play, sniping in social media over the national identity of 2 gold medal winners in a single day from Northern Ireland, and the continuing controversy and over-reaction to an ill-judged small segment of an over-long Olympic opening pageant. 
But at least I'm not a triathlete who may end up with a more significantly upset stomach from swimming in the Seine today, for reasons similar to those that affected the Boat Race in London recently.
There are times that I despair of humanity and our willingness to work together to address not only our differences but also the existential threats that we all face...

The title is drawn from the ancient Greek tradition of a truce or "laying down of arms" for the duration of the games... whilst the attached photo is the upside down Olympic flag hoisted at the opening ceremony, with the tradition being that an upside down flag indicates "distress" - perhaps this was somewhat prophetic.

The water is tested 
before competition begins.
After delay it is declared 
“Safe” - if only just.

But the very air we breathe
Seems toxic, filled
With intolerance, disrespect
And outright hate.

We mock the other and 
shocked when mocked in turn,
No love lost between enemies -
Christ’s command forgotten.

Words and pictures become
Weapons and battlegrounds...
No truce declared for the duration,
In this apocalyptic culture war.

Victory implies defeat,
We cannot celebrate 
Triumphs under other flags.
We must pick a side.

Meanwhile, the response
To the death of children 
Is riot and rocket attack 
Feeding the fires of hate.

Whether believers or disbelievers,
We seem to serve bloodthirsty gods
Deities that thrive on destruction,
Division and despair.

Pollution seems endemic 
To our cities and civilisation;
Not only our rivers run with poison
But our very veins.

Selah



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Woman of no Distinction

Don't often post other people's stuff here... But I found this so powerful that I thought I should. It's a performance poem based on John 4: 4-30, and I have attached the original YouTube video below. A word for women, and men, everywhere... "to be known is to be loved, and to be loved is to be known." I am a woman of no distinction of little importance. I am a women of no reputation save that which is bad. You whisper as I pass by and cast judgmental glances, Though you don’t really take the time to look at me, Or even get to know me. For to be known is to be loved, And to be loved is to be known. Otherwise what’s the point in doing either one of them in the first place? I WANT TO BE KNOWN. I want someone to look at my face And not just see two eyes, a nose, a mouth and two ears; But to see all that I am, and could be all my hopes, loves and fears. But that’s too much to hope for, to wish for, or pray for So I don’t, not anymore. Now I keep to myself And by that

Psalm for Harvest Sunday

A short responsive psalm for us as a call to worship on Harvest Thanksgiving Sunday, and given that it was pouring with rain as I headed into church this morning the first line is an important remembrance that the rain we moan about is an important component of the fruitfulness of the land we live in: You tend the land and water it And the earth produces its abundance. You crown each year with your bounty, and our storehouses overflow with your goodness. The mountain meadows are covered with flocks and the valleys are filled with corn; Your people celebrate your boundless grace They shout for joy and sing. from Psalm 65

Living under the Empire... (2) Where is Babylon?

We were driving back from school last week, talking about books that we had been reading and my younger son, Ciaran, asked me "Where is Babylon?" I have to confess that my history is better than my geography, and I said that it no longer exists as an inhabited city, but its ruins were to the north west of the current capital of Iraq, Baghdad. When I checked however, I discovered that it is actually about 50 miles south of Baghdad and the modern town is the administrative centre of the province of Babil... But just as the modern city is but a shadow of the historic capital of 2 ancient empires, first under Hammurabi in the 18th century BCE and then the "Neo-Babylonian" empire (under Nebuchadnezzar etc) in the 6th century BCE, so the earthly Babylonian empire/s was/were fleeting in comparison to the enduring metaphorical idea of Babylon. The original Empire under Hammurabi was probably the ultimate origin of some of the early Biblical stories, including the &quo