Skip to main content

Grosvenor Hall: A Song to Close...


The Grosvenor Hall congregation had its final service yesterday afternoon, marking 136 years of faithful worship and witness. The work of the wider Belfast Central Mission goes on however, and indeed, we will be gathering again in Grosvenor House on the second Sunday of next month to mark the beginning of the Annual Toy/Gift Appeal...
But back in June, after the decision had to close had been taken, I was out visiting some members of the congregation who hadn't been out for a few weeks, and after a fruitless attempt to visit two houses in a row I thought I would stop off in Sir Thomas and Lady Dixon Park and grab a coffee. It was a beautiful day and I had been listening to Eddi Reader singing Burns songs in the car, and as I sat in the sunshine the following song, set to the tune of "Ae Fond Kiss" sprang almost fully formed into my head.
At yesterday's emotional farewell, my two friends Jim Deeds and Diane Holt, sang these words as a benediction to those who had gathered:

One last time we meet together,
But farewell is not forever.
Deep in God's own heart united
We will never be divided

Now's the time to grieve what passes;
All our past seems turned to ashes.
But the hope of life still stirs us;
Dark despair shall not ensnare us.

Let’s not start to play the blame game.
Nothing here remains unchanging,
Save the love of God our Father,
Which endures and grows forever.

Had we never known each other,
Been to each sister and brother,
Only then without such loving
We'd avoid the pain of parting.

So we come to the last blessing,
What to say when words are failing?
Unto each be all Gods riches.
Peace and love and joy enfold us.

David A. Campton 2025
To the tune of “ Ae fond kiss”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LentArt: Washing the Disciples' Feet

Today's #LentArt post is "The washing of the disciples' feet" by Ghislaine Howard, another piece from the wonderful Methodist Modern Art Collection. It has clearly struck a chord with a number of people, and I am delighted that tonight's guest blog is by my friend and fellow 4 Corners Director, Father Martin Magill, who, he will be embarrassed to have me say, is for me the epitome of a servant leader. Indeed it was interesting to have a friend and artist respond to my earlier post saying that this time last year she remembers having her feet washed by Martin... How much has changed in a year: This painting (completed in 2004) was inspired by these words from the gospel of John in today's lectionary:  Jesus knew that the Father had delivered all things into His hands, and that He had come from God and was returning to God. So He got up from the supper, laid aside His outer garments, and wrapped a towel around His waist. After that, He poured water ...

Living under the Empire... (2) Where is Babylon?

We were driving back from school last week, talking about books that we had been reading and my younger son, Ciaran, asked me "Where is Babylon?" I have to confess that my history is better than my geography, and I said that it no longer exists as an inhabited city, but its ruins were to the north west of the current capital of Iraq, Baghdad. When I checked however, I discovered that it is actually about 50 miles south of Baghdad and the modern town is the administrative centre of the province of Babil... But just as the modern city is but a shadow of the historic capital of 2 ancient empires, first under Hammurabi in the 18th century BCE and then the "Neo-Babylonian" empire (under Nebuchadnezzar etc) in the 6th century BCE, so the earthly Babylonian empire/s was/were fleeting in comparison to the enduring metaphorical idea of Babylon. The original Empire under Hammurabi was probably the ultimate origin of some of the early Biblical stories, including the ...

A Woman of no Distinction

Don't often post other people's stuff here... But I found this so powerful that I thought I should. It's a performance poem based on John 4: 4-30, and I have attached the original YouTube video below. A word for women, and men, everywhere... "to be known is to be loved, and to be loved is to be known." I am a woman of no distinction of little importance. I am a women of no reputation save that which is bad. You whisper as I pass by and cast judgmental glances, Though you don’t really take the time to look at me, Or even get to know me. For to be known is to be loved, And to be loved is to be known. Otherwise what’s the point in doing either one of them in the first place? I WANT TO BE KNOWN. I want someone to look at my face And not just see two eyes, a nose, a mouth and two ears; But to see all that I am, and could be all my hopes, loves and fears. But that’s too much to hope for, to wish for, or pray for So I don’t, not anymore. Now I keep to myself And by that ...