I haven't been writing much new material recently beyond sermons and funeral addresses given that my "free time" has been taken up by packing and unpacking boxes and assembling flat-pack furniture. I've made no secret that Sally and I were in no great hurry to move from where we were previously living, but we all need a change of perspective from time to time and our recent re-stationing has afforded us the "opportunity" of both de-cluttering and gaining a (physically) new panoramic perspective on our home city of Belfast. This includes the smattering of wind generators on the hills on the Antrim-side of the city, which some regard as an intrusion on the rural landscape. The following piece emerged slowly over the past couple of weeks, clearly influenced by Christopher Nolan's "Odyssey".
(ps. The attached photo is not of that Belfast wind farm, but some in midwestern USA about 10 years ago. My cameraphone is too inadequate to capture the view from our window at twilight or zoom in on the offending wind generators.)
In the fading light I see
the red-eyed cyclops
standing on the hazy horizon,
flailing against the myths
that seek to have them
cut down, freeing the winds,
but dooming their detractors
to an uncertain onward journey,
blinded by their devotion
to avaricious gods and
a desire for things to be
as they had once seemed
but never had been.
Selah
Comments